How can I connect with a headhunter?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2021 11:58 am
Tags:
Jun 17, 2017
249 posts
35 upvotes

How can I connect with a headhunter?

Can someone pls refer me to a competent headhunter for GTA accounting/finance jobs?
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
contact Robert Half
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Headhunters are out there looking for you. Just make sure your LinkedIn has lots of relevant keywords about your experience.
I've had about 5-6 unsolicited headhunters / recruiters in the past month.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21738 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Jucius Maximus wrote: Headhunters are out there looking for you. Just make sure your LinkedIn has lots of relevant keywords about your experience.
This. I may just have to change my LinkedIn because I keep getting contacted by headhunters and recruiters
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2018
1373 posts
1854 upvotes
healsio wrote: Can someone pls refer me to a competent headhunter for GTA accounting/finance jobs?
There are tons on LinkedIn. You just have to find those who are doing business with the companies you are interested to work with.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2982 posts
3186 upvotes
Ottawa
Jucius Maximus wrote: Headhunters are out there looking for you. Just make sure your LinkedIn has lots of relevant keywords about your experience.
I seem to get at least one message every couple weeks from headhunters, generally for contracting opportunities in my previous industry (which I left for a reason).
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Dynatos wrote: I seem to get at least one message every couple weeks from headhunters, generally for contracting opportunities in my previous industry (which I left for a reason).
You need to change the keywords and skills in your LinkedIn profile.
Change your previous job descriptions to emphasize skills that relate to whatever kind of work you want to be doing.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
There are tons of head hunters keep messaging, asking if I'm interested for $30/h job, $40/h....$50/h.
They need to start looking at real world numbers to give reasonable offers.

I never reach out to any of them and I have atleast a half dozen that have me on profile

oh and I don't use linketin
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
3440 posts
2670 upvotes
Montreal, QC
healsio wrote: Can someone pls refer me to a competent headhunter for GTA accounting/finance jobs?
Update or keep a LinkedIn profile and you will or should be contacted by headhunters on a somewhat regular basis.

I get contacted via LinkedIn at least three times (often times more) every month for IT related work. I generally ignore all such contacts and I'm currently working and not interested in leaving.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5071 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Also depends on your role/industry.

My developer friend at my company gets weekly messages from head hunters with a pretty limited/basic profile. In demand roles will be hunted.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2015
1261 posts
1416 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm guessing none of you are actually working in Accounting & Finance?

OP, you are omitting specific details regarding your background:

Do you have a CPA, CFA, CIA, CISA, or some accounting/finance related designation? Recruiters did not message me until I got my CPA where now I get countless messages. However, I also work at one of the big 4 firms so that in combination with my designation makes me a typical candidate that recruiters want to reach out to.

Accounting and finance is a saturated job market (like many others), you need to have credentials that make headhunters want to sell you. After all, you're their product so focusing on the "competence" of a headhunter is really not the right idea. It's not as simple as finding a "competent" headhunter who can all of a sudden place you into a cushy job.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
Headhunters find you. You don't find headhunters. If you're not being found, (I'm sorry), but it's because you don't fit what they're after nor do you have a set of skillsets that is difficult to find.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
2660 posts
1269 upvotes
post your resume on Indeed or other job websites. If you got the qualification they will come looking for you.