Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2139 posts
401 upvotes
Toronto, L6A

How can I dissolve hair?

I got some hair stuck in the wheels of a computer armchair, which I'm having trouble removing. Tried to completely remove the wheels from the axle - and they won't come off. Tried to remove hair with thin scissors - got rid of the most of it, but still a bunch of it left there.

Is there any hair dissolver that would be able to take care of this? Either specifically for this purpose, or one of those drain cleaning stuff or whatever. Bleach, maybe?

Thanks.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2006
3417 posts
86 upvotes
Halton
I hate it. My computer chair whees are covered with hair. Although it moves the same its just disgusting.

I will be watching this thread for idea's :cheesygri
Enjoy Life
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
1630 posts
187 upvotes
My thoughts would be to use a lighter or some sort.....just a quick short blast of the flame ought to do it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2139 posts
401 upvotes
Toronto, L6A
jrees wrote:
Feb 27th, 2010 12:24 am
My thoughts would be to use a lighter or some sort.....just a quick short blast of the flame ought to do it.
Man, that's gonna stink. Beside, there're very thin openings in the wheels, where hair is mostly concentrated, and it's not going to give up easy. Wheels are plastic.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2001
3554 posts
67 upvotes
Fluoric Acid
What the H E double hockey sticks have I done now?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24595 posts
2343 upvotes
Ottawa
OK, too early for April Fools joke right? Hair in computer armchair wheels? Human hairs? Who would be shedding so much hair that there are hair droppings on the floor and getting stuck in wheels between vacuuming? Yuck!
Oh and I also think that a bit of flame from a torch or lighter will burn it off.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
1630 posts
187 upvotes
Sure it's gonna stink and a quick blast from a lighter isn't going to harm the plastic.
Mar 19, 2008
473 posts
22 upvotes
What about trying one of those leg hair removal creams (I think it is a cream) like Nair or (hilariously) Nads? I have never seen one in action, but I thought the idea was that they dissolve the hair ?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2002
9922 posts
1819 upvotes
Oakville
jjasond wrote:
Feb 27th, 2010 2:41 pm
What about trying one of those leg hair removal creams (I think it is a cream) like Nair or (hilariously) Nads? I have never seen one in action, but I thought the idea was that they dissolve the hair ?
Then you'd be stuck with a lot of goop, which would just attract more hairs.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2002
9922 posts
1819 upvotes
Oakville
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 27th, 2010 7:54 am
Oh and I also think that a bit of flame from a torch or lighter will burn it off.
+2

And do it outside.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1162 posts
73 upvotes
Red Deer
jjasond wrote:
Feb 27th, 2010 2:41 pm
Is that the same cream that is being used for brazillian wax jobs??
But now use it on a chair?
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
Try spraying bleach to it.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Dec 26, 2009
156 posts
1 upvote
Pickering, ON
same way I get hair wrapped around the vacuum roller. An utility knife, tweezers & a whole lot of patience.
"Well I assure you sir, this thing sucks" - Don Van Vliet (Captain Beefheart) selling a vacuum cleaner to Aldous Huxley.
Nov 17, 2011
1 posts
San Diego, Californi…
Well I see a lot of answers to this question but no one has actually said they did this or that; or "I tried that and it worked". I have reading (the label and everything I can find on the web) about concentrated Sulfuric Acid...and it "looks" like it might work so I'm going to get brave, take the wheels outside in a glass container and soak them in the sulf. acid and if that works, I'll post back here again. That is unless someone has actually figured out a good method.

Oh and by the way, I, too have sat down with tweezers, and ecto knives and various other thin objects to try to remove the hair...it IS fairly successful but takes a very long time and certainly doesn't get all the hair.

Also, laughing...someone said something about human hair and ugh - - - well I'm not positive of course but I think? we all or most of us are talking about pet hair from that kitty or pooch who just has to be around mommy or daddy's feet while on the puter. Least that is what *I* am talking about... LOL :)
× < >