Personal Finance

how can i get free Cheques with CIBC?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2016 9:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2002
6849 posts
4 upvotes
Maple Ridge, BC
There is likely a local credit union in your area that offers free chequing. In BC, it is Coast Capital.

http://www.coastcapitalsavings.com/Pers ... oreAccount

I suggest you are better off paying for the cheques and getting free banking. The big banks are going to each make over $1.5 Billion this year. I am tired of paying services charges to banks so the CEO can justify his $3 Million a year salary to investors.

In addition, the credit unions share profits. The more we bank with them, the more they make, and the more they share with us. That said, would you like to pay TD/CIBC $10 a month to use their services, or get back $50 a year from a credit union for using their services.

Not really a tough choice, is it?
Deal Addict
May 6, 2003
1043 posts
1 upvote
When I first became an "Imperial Service" customer, they sent me a folder with a bunch of info about the service. Included was a faxable cheque order form that indicated that personalized cheques would be provided at no charge. When I finally got around to ordering them, I faxed in my order using this form. My account was charged for these cheques, but with one call to the Imperial Customer Service, the charge was reversed and they apologized for the mistake. Voila - free cheques courtesy of Imperial Service.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2002
6849 posts
4 upvotes
Maple Ridge, BC
Jono wrote:When I first became an "Imperial Service" customer, they sent me a folder with a bunch of info about the service. Included was a faxable cheque order form that indicated that personalized cheques would be provided at no charge. When I finally got around to ordering them, I faxed in my order using this form. My account was charged for these cheques, but with one call to the Imperial Customer Service, the charge was reversed and they apologized for the mistake. Voila - free cheques courtesy of Imperial Service.
Gotta love the big banks. Charge for everything and hope the customers don't notice that they're supposed to get that service for free.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 7, 2004
2877 posts
37 upvotes
inkman wrote:i think CIBC charges $28 for basic personal cheque, and TD bank offers FREE cheques for Full-Serve accounts. So im just wondering if anyone know any 'leakages' to obtain personal cheque for free of charge.
Why are you still using big5... I don't understand. Why not write chqs and an account that gives you free chqs? Big 5 won't give it to you for free. Davis&Henderson charges banks, so they charge you. I get free chqs and free chqing at CIBC :cheesygri They forgot to take off my "staff" priviledges.
既生瑜, 何生亮

Ebay Feedback
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 7, 2004
2877 posts
37 upvotes
Mark099 wrote:There is likely a local credit union in your area that offers free chequing. In BC, it is Coast Capital.

http://www.coastcapitalsavings.com/Pers ... oreAccount

I suggest you are better off paying for the cheques and getting free banking. The big banks are going to each make over $1.5 Billion this year. I am tired of paying services charges to banks so the CEO can justify his $3 Million a year salary to investors.

In addition, the credit unions share profits. The more we bank with them, the more they make, and the more they share with us. That said, would you like to pay TD/CIBC $10 a month to use their services, or get back $50 a year from a credit union for using their services.

Not really a tough choice, is it?
Agreed, how can those big5 idiots justify these crazy service charges when the competition charges nothing. I haven't paid a penny for banking for 2 years. I was with the big5 and I'm always worried about "how many transactions have I done? will I go over?? will I be charged?" ridiculous.

Coast capital was just next door to my bank (royal) where I worked, and the manager was like... just say they are unprofessional, not good customer service. We offer professional service.. and we have offices, where they don't. No privacy. We offer bundled services, savings on big things like mortgages and investments. Buncha crap to cheat clients. Other than safety deposit boxes, they're good for nothing IMO.
既生瑜, 何生亮

Ebay Feedback
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 19, 2001
28262 posts
802 upvotes
Mark099 wrote:There is likely a local credit union in your area that offers free chequing. In BC, it is Coast Capital.

http://www.coastcapitalsavings.com/Pers ... oreAccount

I suggest you are better off paying for the cheques and getting free banking. The big banks are going to each make over $1.5 Billion this year. I am tired of paying services charges to banks so the CEO can justify his $3 Million a year salary to investors.

In addition, the credit unions share profits. The more we bank with them, the more they make, and the more they share with us. That said, would you like to pay TD/CIBC $10 a month to use their services, or get back $50 a year from a credit union for using their services.

Not really a tough choice, is it?
I find the credit uinions to be as bad if not worse than the big banks. CC still owes me my $5 membership fee the stole.
Hail Eris!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 7, 2004
2877 posts
37 upvotes
hagbard wrote:I find the credit uinions to be as bad if not worse than the big banks. CC still owes me my $5 membership fee the stole.
uhh.. did you ask for it back? when they closed my gf's last account, they asked me if I wanted the $5 cash or in my acct... I haven't had any probs. If their customer service is equally as bad as big5, it makes sense to switch to the lower fee one, right?
既生瑜, 何生亮

Ebay Feedback
Sr. Member
Feb 24, 2005
757 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Jono wrote:I'm not sure how you become a CIBC Imperial Service Customer - you might need to be invited by CIBC - but they do give free cheques to their Imperial Service customers.
No, they don't. I am a imperial client and so are my parents... we always had to pay for our checks.
Official Xbox 360 Winner! 4-5 am October 12th, 2005 (39 NPNs)
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jan 15, 2005
154 posts
6 upvotes
London
;)
I have been an Imperial Service Customer for a number of years and cheques have always been free.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 13, 2005
6773 posts
270 upvotes
Ottawa
does anybody know where else to get free cheques and low cost banking? the only place I know is PC financial.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 7, 2004
2877 posts
37 upvotes
setell wrote:does anybody know where else to get free cheques and low cost banking? the only place I know is PC financial.
Citizens Bank
既生瑜, 何生亮

Ebay Feedback
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
61 upvotes
jerryhung wrote:But $25 is small fee really, amortized
Yup. I ordered a set of 50 checks in 2001, and I've only used 12 so far. Mostly everything is done electronically.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 24, 2005
777 posts
1 upvote
Ontario
HighFlyer wrote:Yup. I ordered a set of 50 checks in 2001, and I've only used 12 so far. Mostly everything is done electronically.
did you get 50 free checks from CIBC? if so, how did you get it?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 19, 2004
17830 posts
2220 upvotes
Waterloo
hhh wrote:did you get 50 free checks from CIBC? if so, how did you get it?
did you not see the quote?
I think he meant he paid $25 for 50 cheques
and that's like 0.50 for each cheque, which is really tiny over the years
If you use them for 10 years, that's like 5 cents per cheque
Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan/AMEX MR <= AMEX Platinum 75K, Business Gold 40K FYF, Gold 25K FYF, SPG 20K $120
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
861 posts
3 upvotes
gman wrote:Get a line of credit.
I'm with gman. Get a line of credit. My advisor always gave me free cheques with my chequeing account, but eventually it had to stop. She advised me to get a line of credit and now I don't have to ask my advisor for them, I can also order them from telephone banking.

Plus with a LOC, you get cheap overdraft interest without any fee other than the interest which is still cheaper than the $5 + 28% they charge for overdraft on a chequeing account.
× < >

Top