Entrepreneurship & Small Business

How can I report business' that don't charge HST and have no HST number on receipts?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2018 11:22 am
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
159 posts
21 upvotes

How can I report business' that don't charge HST and have no HST number on receipts?

More and more I see this, and I hate to say this but its usually people from my own area of the world doing this -- middle east/ south asian. Which I find sad.

They dont charge HST/GST or whatever. and they dont have a gst or hst number on their receipt. so they're obviously not paying taxes. How can i report these business'? Will the report even go anywhere?
43 replies
Nov 6, 2015
619 posts
229 upvotes
Guelph, ON
If they make less than $30,000/yr on their business they are not obligated to charge HST.

Quick Google search on "HST snitch line" brought me this result:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... ogram.html

Personally I don't think it's worth the trouble. If they are doing a substantial amount of business I think they will eventually get on CRA's radar by themselves.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1416 posts
518 upvotes
Kitchener
You go to Fairview Park Mall, or Limeridge and Mapleview, a lot of the kiosk vendors won't charge HST for "cash" transactions. Mostly cellphone related stuff.

I say he should report it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6420 posts
3526 upvotes
Edmonton
So, report it to the CRA. And yes, I think they will take these things seriously, even if the wheels of the big machine turn slowly...

C
Mar 16, 2011
346 posts
161 upvotes
So you didn't get charged tax and are upset about not paying tax?
And now you want to set the CRA to harass small kiosk operators who may or may not be making $30k a year...

Merry Christmas to you too. ha ha
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
159 posts
21 upvotes
chopperE wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 12:33 pm
So you didn't get charged tax and are upset about not paying tax?
And now you want to set the CRA to harass small kiosk operators who may or may not be making $30k a year...

Merry Christmas to you too. ha ha
point out to me where i posted that i want to go after kiosk operators, or ppl who own 30k or near there?

i am talking about big stores that make big money. minimum $200k per year and are not paying tax. yes i am upset about it.
tax goes to pay for roads schools shelters diapers for p;pl who cant afford them cat/dog shelters youth programs boys girls clubs and much more
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2003
1542 posts
116 upvotes
Hamilton
I've had a few hinkey ones over the years all involving people charging me HST but wanting cash and if a receipt is provided no HST number. Some for hundreds of dollars, those type you should report as they are screwing you and the government!
Mar 16, 2011
346 posts
161 upvotes
anvil01 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 5:05 pm
point out to me where i posted that i want to go after kiosk operators, or ppl who own 30k or near there?

i am talking about big stores that make big money. minimum $200k per year and are not paying tax. yes i am upset about it.
tax goes to pay for roads schools shelters diapers for p;pl who cant afford them cat/dog shelters youth programs boys girls clubs and much more
First, i was joking, but second, you didn't specify any particular store in your post and Jeff indicated after that lots of kiosk operators do this.
How do you know how much these stores charge? And which big stores haven't registered for HST? Best Buy? Home Depot? Michael's?

Lastly, you are referring to the HST that YOU (didn't) pay, not the business tax that the store pays. There is an option when you file your tax return for you to pay additional tax to the government as a sort of donation. Feel free to donate all your money to pay extra tax, no one will stop you (except maybe your family). Or even better yet, use all that HST money you saved to donate to these shelters and programs directly so the government doesn't waste it on stupid programs and politician salaries!

But it sounds like you are actually upset that OTHER customers are not paying enough for their goods at these 'big stores'. I think my comment is even more apt, in that case... Merry Christmas to you too. ha ha
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
159 posts
21 upvotes
chopperE wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 9:29 am
First, i was joking, but second, you didn't specify any particular store in your post and Jeff indicated after that lots of kiosk operators do this.
How do you know how much these stores charge? And which big stores haven't registered for HST? Best Buy? Home Depot? Michael's?

Lastly, you are referring to the HST that YOU (didn't) pay, not the business tax that the store pays. There is an option when you file your tax return for you to pay additional tax to the government as a sort of donation. Feel free to donate all your money to pay extra tax, no one will stop you (except maybe your family). Or even better yet, use all that HST money you saved to donate to these shelters and programs directly so the government doesn't waste it on stupid programs and politician salaries!

But it sounds like you are actually upset that OTHER customers are not paying enough for their goods at these 'big stores'. I think my comment is even more apt, in that case... Merry Christmas to you too. ha ha
so when the store doesnt charge tax and theres no hst number on the receipt. what does that mean aside from me not paying tax. ? doesn't it mean they are not paying taxes to the gov't?
i thought companies were doing this to save on taxes. i didn't know it differentiates between that and a business tax.

what u say makes no sense, why would a store go out of their way to be so nice and cinderella to me by having me save money not paying the hst? makes no sense.
there has to be some angle here, where the store benefits. so what is it someone here can say?

when i say "big store" i dont mean corporate franchised stores. they all have hst numbers. i'm talking about regular stores that are fairly sizable and definitely making at least $200k per year in profits alone. also buddy, from ur posts it seems like u are one of these business' doing this tax evasion. i
Mar 16, 2011
346 posts
161 upvotes
anvil01 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 8:26 am
so when the store doesnt charge tax and theres no hst number on the receipt. what does that mean aside from me not paying tax. ? doesn't it mean they are not paying taxes to the gov't?
i thought companies were doing this to save on taxes. i didn't know it differentiates between that and a business tax.

what u say makes no sense, why would a store go out of their way to be so nice and cinderella to me by having me save money not paying the hst? makes no sense.
there has to be some angle here, where the store benefits. so what is it someone here can say?

when i say "big store" i dont mean corporate franchised stores. they all have hst numbers. i'm talking about regular stores that are fairly sizable and definitely making at least $200k per year in profits alone. also buddy, from ur posts it seems like u are one of these business' doing this tax evasion. i
Cinderella? I said no such thing. Maybe they just didn't bother yet. How do you know how much money they make in a year? Do you also monitor their sales all day?
HST is collected and passed along to the government. It is not the same thing as business tax on income. I'm surprised you don't know that.

So yes, you are complaining about the taxes that YOU didn't pay to the government. Or other customers. That's what you seem to be so angry about.

So which store you know makes $200k+ per year that doesn't have an HST number? Or did you make that up?

And fail bro. I called out your post for complaining about you not paying enough taxes, and suggested you donate your money to the government if you are so worried about it. I don't have a business. I am an employee paying tons of income taxes, sadly.
May 16, 2017
230 posts
191 upvotes
The story is only interesting IF:
- Business issues receipts for non-cash transactions that shows HST amount charged and HST #
- Same business issues receipts for cash transactions that does NOT show HST charged and does not have an HST #

There are two possible reasons for this:
- Hide the income completely by keeping a non-reported side-set of cash books
- wink-wink price reduction (effectively a discount) for cash customers to get a competitive advantage and save on credit/debit-card processing fees for the business
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1683 posts
76 upvotes
Mississauga
it doesn't seem like you have an understanding of HST and tax...they are two different things.

HST - you are required to register if your sales are greater than $30k, then you must collect HST and remit it and have your HST B/N on all receipts
HST - you are not required to register if your sales are less than $30k, you will not collect HST, and you should still be providing receipts (but no HST B/N) on it.

Tax - this is income tax - they do this when they file their tax returns - this has nothign to do with HST.

So, if the business didn't charge you HST and didn't have a HST number, that most likely means they are not registered for HST.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
11241 posts
14617 upvotes
I don't think it mandatory to display the GST/HST number on the receipt. While most big companies like Costco, Best Buy, RCCS, Walmart display the GST/PST number on the receipt I noticed HBC and Shoppers don't have their GST/HST number on their business. Does that mean HBC and Shoppers don't pay GST/HST? Of course not.

The vast majority of small shops, those mom and pop stores, the small service shops like hairdressers, barbers, nail salons, small cafes/restaurants, and ethnic stores like those in Chinatown, don't have GST numbers on their receipts. I am sure they are make more than $30,000 a year, so they have to collect and pay GST.

So, since it is not mandatory to display the GST/HST number on the receipt, how does the OP know the store is not collecting and reporting GST/PST? A lot of store incorporate the taxes into the prices.
Have a nice day!

May 16, 2017
230 posts
191 upvotes
LonesomeDove wrote:
Dec 16th, 2017 2:48 pm
I don't think it mandatory to display the GST/HST number on the receipt. While most big companies like Costco, Best Buy, RCCS, Walmart display the GST/PST number on the receipt I noticed HBC and Shoppers don't have their GST/HST number on their business. Does that mean HBC and Shoppers don't pay GST/HST? Of course not.

The vast majority of small shops, those mom and pop stores, the small service shops like hairdressers, barbers, nail salons, small cafes/restaurants, and ethnic stores like those in Chinatown, don't have GST numbers on their receipts. I am sure they are make more than $30,000 a year, so they have to collect and pay GST.

So, since it is not mandatory to display the GST/HST number on the receipt, how does the OP know the store is not collecting and reporting GST/PST? A lot of store incorporate the taxes into the prices.
GST/HST must be shown separately on receipts and so much PST in most if not all Provinces (exceptions for under $30). The GST/HST business number is often shown but isn't absolutely required for retail receipts but would be required for business purchase invoices to another GST/HST registrant so they can provide an audit trail (or they need to know the supplier's business number in some way). Oh, and HBC does show their GST number, it is beside the GST subtotal line on the receipt.