Entrepreneurship & Small Business

How can I report business' that don't charge HST and have no HST number on receipts?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2018 12:03 pm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5178 posts
2101 upvotes
Winnipeg
Isn't collecting GST/PST a benefit for the business as they can get GST/PST rebate on supplies they purchase?
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
11293 posts
14648 upvotes
robsaw wrote:
Dec 16th, 2017 6:47 pm
GST/HST must be shown separately on receipts and so much PST in most if not all Provinces (exceptions for under $30). The GST/HST business number is often shown but isn't absolutely required for retail receipts but would be required for business purchase invoices to another GST/HST registrant so they can provide an audit trail (or they need to know the supplier's business number in some way). Oh, and HBC does show their GST number, it is beside the GST subtotal line on the receipt.
You confirmed that the display of the GST/PST business number is not mandatory on receipts. So I don't why the OP think stores are not collecting and paying HST just because it is not on the receipt.

Thanks for pointing out the GST number next to the subtotal. I wondered what that was.
Have a nice day!

Penalty Box
Apr 23, 2017
258 posts
152 upvotes
anvil01 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 5:05 pm
tax goes to pay for roads schools shelters diapers for p;pl who cant afford them cat/dog shelters youth programs boys girls clubs and much more
Why don't you volunteer to pay more taxes yourself instead of crying to mommy government about other people not paying? Lead by example, not by hoping the government will punish your neighbors.
Mar 16, 2011
376 posts
187 upvotes
zinger9 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2017 11:04 am
Why don't you volunteer to pay more taxes yourself instead of crying to mommy government about other people not paying? Lead by example, not by hoping the government will punish your neighbors.
Exactly what i said except he can also donate directly to shelters, etc. instead of having money go through the government where it will waste tax payer dollars on pet projects and vote buying schemes instead....
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
2664 posts
563 upvotes
Quebec
Op is exactly the kind of individual that i dont want to deal with. Instead of contacting the merchant about the issue to know if its an error or they have a reason behind this issue, op want to report to cra. What a fawking nice citizen. Must not really happy in their own life to be soooo mad on such little thing.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1639 posts
631 upvotes
Kitchener
chopperE wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 12:33 pm
So you didn't get charged tax and are upset about not paying tax?
And now you want to set the CRA to harass small kiosk operators who may or may not be making $30k a year...

Merry Christmas to you too. ha ha

The malls around here, like Fairview Park Mall, or Conestoga Mall, charge massive rental fee's for kiosks. I only imagine it would be a lot higher in a place like Yorkdale. They generally have 2 or 3 employee's working. Show me one operator that doesn't earn $30,000 at a major mall - or ANY mall for that matter, and I'll show you my time machine.

If any operator isn't earning $30,000 -- even with free rent, they're earning less than $8/hour MINUS parts costs. A typical mall is open 75 hours a week. One would have to be incredibility naive to think these guys aren't pulling at least $150G in sales.

Just remember, when you don't pay taxes on purchases, you're not just hurting yourself. Also remember, you're not likely to get any sort of warranty either. These guys do cash. They also are all registered for HST, because some buyers want to do things legally.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
159 posts
24 upvotes
LonesomeDove wrote:
Dec 16th, 2017 2:48 pm
I don't think it mandatory to display the GST/HST number on the receipt. While most big companies like Costco, Best Buy, RCCS, Walmart display the GST/PST number on the receipt I noticed HBC and Shoppers don't have their GST/HST number on their business. Does that mean HBC and Shoppers don't pay GST/HST? Of course not.

The vast majority of small shops, those mom and pop stores, the small service shops like hairdressers, barbers, nail salons, small cafes/restaurants, and ethnic stores like those in Chinatown, don't have GST numbers on their receipts. I am sure they are make more than $30,000 a year, so they have to collect and pay GST.

So, since it is not mandatory to display the GST/HST number on the receipt, how does the OP know the store is not collecting and reporting GST/PST? A lot of store incorporate the taxes into the prices.
buddy what u guys here in this thread are failing to notice is. when i say they are not paying hst it is not only the fact that they dont display hst number. there is no tax in the receipt.
shoppers drug mart may not show hst number, but you can see the tax breakdown on the receipt 0.88 cents blah blah and 0.30 cents bloo blee blah

the stores i am talking about make well over 30k. at least 200k, some make close to 500K

one store in particular just never gives out receipts --ever.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
16229 posts
2251 upvotes
Toronto
First off, there are many industries known as Zero Rated, or Exempt.

Businesses that primarily sell products that are exempt from HST, and sell taxable products for annual sales of less than $40 K (I see 30k floating around but off the top of my head its 40k). These businesses aren't required to charge or remit HST.

I.e. in my past business, I would sell Gold, Silver, and other coins.

Gold/Silver is "Exempt" and made up a majority of my sales, although my Taxable sales were less than the $40k threshold, and as such I did not have to charge HST. However, you can voluntarily apply for an HST number, and collect/remit even when your taxable sales are <$40k (which is what I did). This helps if you qualify for ITC's, etc.

Anyways, point is, theres more than meets the eye. Just because a business isn't charging HST doesn't mean they have to. Just look into what is exempt, zero rated, and exact criteria.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4190 posts
1260 upvotes
HyperTech wrote:
Dec 17th, 2017 12:10 pm
Op is exactly the kind of individual that i dont want to deal with. Instead of contacting the merchant about the issue to know if its an error or they have a reason behind this issue, op want to report to cra. What a fawking nice citizen. Must not really happy in their own life to be soooo mad on such little thing.
Would not surprised if this complaint is really because they can't use their credit card and get 1-3% in cash back rewards.
Oct 27, 2012
262 posts
158 upvotes
Shwa
I bought a couple souvlakis at Taste of the Danforth for $5. I didnt get a receipt with an HST # in it. How do I report these tax cheaters to the CRA?
Mar 16, 2011
376 posts
187 upvotes
jookid wrote:
Dec 17th, 2017 9:11 pm
I bought a couple souvlakis at Taste of the Danforth for $5. I didnt get a receipt with an HST # in it. How do I report these tax cheaters to the CRA?
Some kid asked me to shovel my driveway for $25 bucks. He didn't have a HST number. How do i report this tax cheater to the CRA?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
2664 posts
563 upvotes
Quebec
Please help me find CRA fraud report phone number. I recently purchase a 12$ cell phone case from a cell phone case kiosk in a mall and the seller DID NOT CHARGE me taxes. OMG, i really need to report this crook, i absolutely need to pay taxes on every penny i spend. Thx
Last edited by HyperTech on Dec 18th, 2017 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
May 16, 2015
777 posts
162 upvotes
York, ON
lol this thread is jokes im dying reading this... lol wheres OP at?