Entrepreneurship & Small Business

How can I report business' that don't charge HST and have no HST number on receipts?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2018 9:57 pm
Jun 3, 2017
86 posts
45 upvotes
bigmac22 wrote:
Dec 18th, 2017 2:19 pm
lol this thread is jokes im dying reading this... lol wheres OP at?
Doing what any sensible person would do: backing away from the crap-shoot that this thread turned into.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
160 posts
21 upvotes
update, so i spoke with a CRA agent and she encourgaged me to report these kinds of business' which clearly make welll welllllll over $30k.
so far i've reported 2 busoiness'.
i'm going to start reporting more of them as i see them. this needs to stop.
ppl need to understand that taxes go to builing schools, hospitals, roads, after school programs, boys and girls clu;bs, etc. AND YES SOME OF IT is badly spent on politician parties trips etc WE GET IT FOLKS.

theres rotten dirty apples in every case of apples bud. just becaue some mulsim are terrorist are you going to say all are its the same point here folks
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
5705 posts
3045 upvotes
anvil01 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2017 8:01 am
update, so i spoke with a CRA agent and she encourgaged me to report these kinds of business' which clearly make welll welllllll over $30k.
ppl need to understand that taxes go to builing schools, hospitals, roads, after school programs, boys and girls clu;bs, etc. AND YES SOME OF IT is badly spent on politician parties trips etc WE GET IT FOLKS.

theres rotten dirty apples in every case of apples bud. just becaue some mulsim are terrorist are you going to say all are its the same point here folks
Did you report Morneau's french villa tho? Or or Trudeau $200k trip to the Aga Khan paid on our dime?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
5705 posts
3045 upvotes
deal_with_singh wrote:
Dec 17th, 2017 4:48 pm
First off, there are many industries known as Zero Rated, or Exempt.

Businesses that primarily sell products that are exempt from HST, and sell taxable products for annual sales of less than $40 K (I see 30k floating around but off the top of my head its 40k). These businesses aren't required to charge or remit HST.

I.e. in my past business, I would sell Gold, Silver, and other coins.

Gold/Silver is "Exempt" and made up a majority of my sales, although my Taxable sales were less than the $40k threshold, and as such I did not have to charge HST. However, you can voluntarily apply for an HST number, and collect/remit even when your taxable sales are <$40k (which is what I did). This helps if you qualify for ITC's, etc.

Anyways, point is, theres more than meets the eye. Just because a business isn't charging HST doesn't mean they have to. Just look into what is exempt, zero rated, and exact criteria.
Yep medical based services/products are also exempt....it costs the govt money because the businesses can claim HST paid for rent, office supplies, etc and get a nice chq at the end of the year for these items...
Jan 10, 2017
665 posts
262 upvotes
GTA
A good tax evasion technique I seen is just charging customers normally and then don't report some cash transactions that you made that day. So you'd never be able to tell.

Also mall leases are expensive, currently at Square One Mall, Subway is paying 26K a month with a yearly increase of a like a few K.
The mall operator will also raise your lease based on the demand for the spot. Which they did to some mom and pop shops to get fancier ones in.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB (100% discount including overages 12 months) + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month ($1/Month including promotion rate) voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
160 posts
21 upvotes
anyone here know any stores that are not paying taxes? forward or pm me the names i'll do the report to the CRA

lets take thiese tax cheats down
Mar 16, 2011
306 posts
145 upvotes
anvil01 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2017 8:01 am

Ha yeah right. I call bullcrap on that. LOL

What are the names of these businesses? If you are such a tax crusader, tell us who are these supposed cheats?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
2525 posts
508 upvotes
Quebec
anvil01 wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 3:24 pm
anyone here know any stores that are not paying taxes? forward or pm me the names i'll do the report to the CRA

lets take thiese tax cheats down
Netflix....... Idiot
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4749 posts
1726 upvotes
HyperTech wrote:
Dec 18th, 2017 10:35 am
Please help me find CRA fraud report phone number. I recently purchase a 12$ cell phone case from a cell phone case kiosk in a mall and the seller DID NOT CHARGE me taxes. OMG, i really need to report this crook, i absolutely need to pay taxes on every penny i spend. Thx
I call shenanigans. Everybody knows you can readily get this information by using Google. It is your friend.
Oct 19, 2016
553 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
You must work for the CRA ? or have close ties to the CRA ?

anvil01 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 2:22 pm
More and more I see this, and I hate to say this but its usually people from my own area of the world doing this -- middle east/ south asian. Which I find sad.

They dont charge HST/GST or whatever. and they dont have a gst or hst number on their receipt. so they're obviously not paying taxes. How can i report these business'? Will the report even go anywhere?
Aug 15, 2015
924 posts
106 upvotes
Markham, ON
anvil01 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 2:22 pm
More and more I see this, and I hate to say this but its usually people from my own area of the world doing this -- middle east/ south asian. Which I find sad.

They dont charge HST/GST or whatever. and they dont have a gst or hst number on their receipt. so they're obviously not paying taxes. How can i report these business'? Will the report even go anywhere?
If you were to make a report. I would suggest writing to Canada Revenue Agency. Who knows maybe the people you speak of are already being investigated and you don't even know. Your report, as a concerned citizen, can provide further evidence for all you know.

I wouldn't ask CRA to give you a feedback about how they dealt with the situation. Let us know if you see any changes.
Aug 15, 2015
924 posts
106 upvotes
Markham, ON
This is my take on HST collection. I am not a professional.

After receiving a lot of suggestions from unprofessional people on Redflagdeals.com (which is really a forum about shopping for deals), I have decided to incorporate and run my business as a corporate entity. My corporation was born (or incorporated) on January 1, 2017. I do my thing and run my business as usual. I signed up for an HST number with Canada Revenue Agency. During sign up, I realized I do not have to register for HST because I usually make less than 30k a year. As such, I have been issuing receipts without an HST number and have NOT been collecting HST.

As December 31, 2017 is fast approaching, I am now gathering my paperwork to sit down by myself to figure out how I am going to do my taxes this year. During a preliminary review of my paperwork, I realized I made more than 60k. Now, I go look for a professional accountant with their CA. CGA, CMA, CwhateverA designation so they can double check my math and see how much HST I have to pay out of my own pocket on top of the prescribed corporate tax rate. If I had been collecting HST all year, maybe I will be doing refunds to my customers, after my visit to the accountants with their professional designation.

Obviously, the professionals working at Canada Revenue Agency will be double-checking my math and the hired professional help math. So yeah.
Jan 1, 2009
885 posts
203 upvotes
Vancouver
Poppwl wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 10:39 am
This is my take on HST collection. I am not a professional.

After receiving a lot of suggestions from unprofessional people on Redflagdeals.com (which is really a forum about shopping for deals), I have decided to incorporate and run my business as a corporate entity. My corporation was born (or incorporated) on January 1, 2017. I do my thing and run my business as usual. I signed up for an HST number with Canada Revenue Agency. During sign up, I realized I do not have to register for HST because I usually make less than 30k a year. As such, I have been issuing receipts without an HST number and have NOT been collecting HST.

As December 31, 2017 is fast approaching, I am now gathering my paperwork to sit down by myself to figure out how I am going to do my taxes this year. During a preliminary review of my paperwork, I realized I made more than 60k. Now, I go look for a professional accountant with their CA. CGA, CMA, CwhateverA designation so they can double check my math and see how much HST I have to pay out of my own pocket on top of the prescribed corporate tax rate. If I had been collecting HST all year, maybe I will be doing refunds to my customers, after my visit to the accountants with their professional designation.

Obviously, the professionals working at Canada Revenue Agency will be double-checking my math and the hired professional help math. So yeah.
It sounds like you cumulatively exceeded $30,000 in revenue from any period in the prior 4 calendar quarters. Even as such, you are still deemed to be a small supplier for one month following the quarter with brought you over the $30,000, and then have 29 days following that "freebie month" to register for the GST/HST. So you may not have to actually remit the GST/HST from those sales prior to the quarter which became a game changer for you in terms of cumulative putting your revenues over $30,000.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... tml#H3_301

Make sure your accountant is aware of this so you don't remit the GST/HST out of all your sales prior to that particular quarter.

PS: I am a CPA.