Parenting

how can a single-stay-home-mom makes money at home?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2012 8:05 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
3696 posts
2539 upvotes

how can a single-stay-home-mom makes money at home?

I m a single mother of a 2 months old and is very tight on money right now. is there any ways to make money from home? any suggestions will be great or we can even discuss further about this topic, i think it will be useful to other single moms out there! :razz:
35 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
farfargurl wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2012 1:01 pm
I m a single mother of a 2 months old and is very tight on money right now. is there any ways to make money from home? any suggestions will be great or we can even discuss further about this topic, i think it will be useful to other single moms out there! :razz:

Take care of other people's children at the same time taking care your own.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2004
1589 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
if u have extra room in your house you can always rent it out.

rent out parking ( if u live downtown )
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2623 posts
151 upvotes
Create a website/blog about life as a mom (first time mom).

Create articles on your experience as a first time mom. Feeding child for first time, recipes for baby food, sleep training your child. Reviews of products. Balancing life and responsibilities with the other parent who works, etc.

Then when you get a decent enough fan base (visitors), you can sell advertising space to local kids stores, banners, etc.

If successful, can make 1-2k a month from advertising. Will take some time to get a fanbase, but all mom's at home spend time researching how to do things. Would be great to have all that information in one location (website), especially one they can relate too.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
3696 posts
2539 upvotes
Crinkle_cut wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 5:32 pm

Create articles on your experience as a first time mom. Feeding child for first time, recipes for baby food, sleep training your child. Reviews of products. Balancing life and responsibilities with the other parent who works, etc.

Then when you get a decent enough fan base (visitors), you can sell advertising space to local kids stores, banners, etc.

If successful, can make 1-2k a month from advertising. Will take some time to get a fanbase, but all mom's at home spend time researching how to do things. Would be great to have all that information in one location (website), especially one they can relate too.

wow, i m really going to think about this one, i m always on my laptop anyways, but going to need help making a website, i m bad with comp tech stuff.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
1113 posts
18 upvotes
Maybe something like typing (using laptop) for medical or legal transcriptions. Inquire.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
294 upvotes
Toronto
Crinkle_cut wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 5:32 pm

The thing is this kind of stuff is on the net in abundance.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sourc ... .1.2.1l5l0
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
farfargurl wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 8:47 pm
wow, i m really going to think about this one, i m always on my laptop anyways, but going to need help making a website, i m bad with comp tech stuff.
Then don't bother with this. It's already hard to be 'successful' at what he described, and if you're technically handicapped then it'll be even harder.
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
Nov 3, 2005
416 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
Bear in mind, you can't earn income while collecting EI. I don't know how it works with social assistance, but I thought it was the same deal. Have you made sure you're collecting all the child benefits available? I think there are three kinds, off the top of my head. And if your baby daddy isn't paying support, you should go after him for it.
Dec 10, 2006
275 posts
32 upvotes
CanadaSweetheart wrote:
Jan 25th, 2012 9:01 am
Bear in mind, you can't earn income while collecting EI. I don't know how it works with social assistance, but I thought it was the same deal. Have you made sure you're collecting all the child benefits available? I think there are three kinds, off the top of my head. And if your baby daddy isn't paying support, you should go after him for it.

So in other words you have nothing to add, so you make assumptions on her living situation. Why even post anything?

My contribution: my wife would rent a table at craft shows and sell home-made dog treats.
Nov 3, 2005
416 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
frustrated inc. wrote:
Jan 29th, 2012 10:39 am
So in other words you have nothing to add, so you make assumptions on her living situation. Why even post anything?

My contribution: my wife would rent a table at craft shows and sell home-made dog treats.

If you werent so "frustrated" perhaps your reading comprehension would improve. I explained that if you are collecting any benefits from the government, you cannot earn other income. I'm collecting EI right now and wanted to have vacation days paid out to me for some extra cash at Christmas. My company explained that my EI benefits would stop for a month if I did that because I was receiving "income" and company would have to reissue my ROE and send it into Service Ontario. So, presumably the OP is collecting EI on mat leave - she would be in the same boat. The best option is to ensure you are collecting all the benefits available to you from the government and the baby daddy.

And how - pray tell - if you have no money, can you afford to buy supplies to make things and then rent a table to sell them at a craft show? Oh right, you can't.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
3696 posts
2539 upvotes
baby's dad is a do**he bag, he have one crappy job and he does nothing, but plays dota with his friends for the rest of his time off :facepalm:
Nov 3, 2005
416 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
farfargurl wrote:
Jan 29th, 2012 3:08 pm
baby's dad is a do**he bag, he have one crappy job and he does nothing, but plays dota with his friends for the rest of his time off :facepalm:

But that doesn't mean he gets to avoid paying support. It means he might have to get TWO crappy jobs. But none of that is your problem. He has to figure out how he'll provide you with money for his child. Inform him of his obligation and invite him to family court if he refuses to be a man about it.

Without knowing your situation, I can still think of at least four benefits you can be receiving each month. This is likely your best financial option right now. Service Ontario does have a job bank and they can help match you to a job based on what you're looking for but do make sure you're receiving every beneft you're entitled to in the meantime. Again, Service Ontario can advise you on the programs available to you.
May 12, 2003
656 posts
22 upvotes
farfargurl wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 8:47 pm

This is an incredibly difficult field to get into these days. There are thousands of these types of blogs, so you either need a very unique angle, or have an already established base of users (1000s at least)

If you still want to try, technical limitations aren't really a limitation. You can sign up for something like Blogger which makes it easy to blog and has alot of tools to make things easier for you. Good luck
× < >