• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2006 10:23 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Jul 5, 2005
352 posts
Richmond Hill
You might also want to try to get quotes from a bunch of different insurers. I was getting quotes of $2,000 - $2,600 and I've been driving for about 8-9 years with no accidents or tickets!

Then I found some link on my Alumni's e-newsletter to some smalltime insurance agency, and they gave me a quote of $1,600! I still have to verify if it includes all the coverage as the other companies which were giving me higher quotes, but that's still quite the savings.

Also, if you or other members in your household belong to any professional associations or alumni's see if you can get a group discount through it.
[OP]
Sep 3, 2005
607 posts
what i think ill do is give money for my dad to buy it and buy the insurance. when i get pulled over or get into an accident, ill just say i was borrowing it. i hope the insurance will cover that?
Banned
Jul 5, 2005
352 posts
Richmond Hill
MrSquirrel wrote:what i think ill do is give money for my dad to buy it and buy the insurance. when i get pulled over or get into an accident, ill just say i was borrowing it. i hope the insurance will cover that?
Does your dad already have a car? IIRC, if your dad already has a car, he can't be the primary on a second car if there is another insurable driver in the household. Someone else might want to chime in, but I don't think you can do what you're planning on doing.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14442 posts
934 upvotes
Markham
ur dad can't be primary for two cars when you're there...

if there was a way around it... i'd be driving my own car now.
ShadowVlican
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8514 posts
372 upvotes
Toronto
put $1000 in the deductable..
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Aug 4, 2005
789 posts
8 upvotes
Stouffville
Quan wrote:I tried this, but then they asked me questions like "How many licenses are in the houshold?" and "Does the other Drivers have a car and insurance?" Do i just lie to them and say we don't have a car? Can they check up a data base to see if we do own a car and insured with antoher company?
So you are willing to lie as long as you won't get caught? That opens a whole bunch of possibilities for you!
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2005
1086 posts
Toronto
ratface wrote:So you are willing to lie as long as you won't get caught? That opens a whole bunch of possibilities for you!
Obviously i'm new at all this and trying to learn as much as possible. He mentioned that method and was unsure of what he was trying to say/instruct. If your trying to be funny take it somewhere else.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2005
5624 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
you could also try getting only the most basic insurance, the one required by law (though I'd recommend getting atleast $1 million coverage)

Unless you've got a nice ride this is a good idea, because a $1000 deductable on a $1500 car is kind of pointless. Just aswell, theft of a beater isnt too likely so you're probably safe.
:) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :)
:) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :)
:) it took me 45 minutes to make this signature :(
[OP]
Sep 3, 2005
607 posts
ShadowVlican wrote:ur dad can't be primary for two cars when you're there...

if there was a way around it... i'd be driving my own car now.
ive heard certain insurance companies dont have this rule. is it true?
Nov 21, 2003
848 posts
2 upvotes
Belair Direct is cheap!
I just got my policy. 22 yr old, G2, 03 Accord 2dr V6, $1000 deductible - $2512

For older drivers w/ clean record, TD Meloche Mennox is probably the cheapest.
Dec 15, 2001
724 posts
New York City
trusoulja2g wrote:Belair Direct is cheap!
I just got my policy. 22 yr old, G2, 03 Accord 2dr V6, $1000 deductible - $2512

For older drivers w/ clean record, TD Meloche Mennox is probably the cheapest.
How the hell did you get that rate?
I'm also 22, G, 03 Tiburon (I4, not even the V6!), third-party only - $5000!
comprehensive is almost $7200 with a $500 deductible!

I have one at-fault accident from last year -- is it really that big a difference, because of my accident??!
Tharsan

"Trying is the first step towards failure"
- Homer Simpson

For Sale:
Various computer parts & peripherals

HeatWare [ 23-0-0 ]
Nov 21, 2003
848 posts
2 upvotes
tharsan wrote:How the hell did you get that rate?

I have one at-fault accident from last year -- is it really that big a difference, because of my accident??!
Mine's just a standard web quote, comprehensive too.
I think the one at-fault accident does make that much of a difference. Insurance companies are not in the business of paying out claims. My dad had two at-fault accidents a few years ago and was paying $5000 for comprehensive.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2003
5330 posts
157 upvotes
Mississauga
tharsan wrote:How the hell did you get that rate?

you just said it yourself

TIBURON.. one of the most, if not top stolen car in canada... so high insurance.. also, maybe their car is under someone else's name (ie: parent), so it's lower... i'm around 2600 for my impreza under economical insurance group
Dec 15, 2001
724 posts
New York City
M-e-X-x wrote:you just said it yourself

TIBURON.. one of the most, if not top stolen car in canada... so high insurance.. also, maybe their car is under someone else's name (ie: parent), so it's lower... i'm around 2600 for my impreza under economical insurance group
When I got a quote for a 2002 RSX, the premium was $4,600, whereas the 2003 Tiburon was $5,000 -- not a very big difference.

This is all with Belairdirect.

Man, that's the last time I ever let the other party make an insurance claim. I'll pay them twice what it costs to fix the damages if I have to!
This is absurd.
Tharsan

"Trying is the first step towards failure"
- Homer Simpson

For Sale:
Various computer parts & peripherals

HeatWare [ 23-0-0 ]