Cell Phones

How can you tell if iPhone 4 is factory unlocked from the box?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2012 4:55 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
2952 posts
2895 upvotes
Montreal
dragon_drift wrote:
Aug 4th, 2010 3:31 am
i'm curious, what if you have a locked phone? Can you pay rogers or apple to unlock it for you?
No for Canada... If you want to pay to unlock then there is way around it... For example, you sell your locked version and rebuy the unlocked version from Apple... This is equal as paying to unlock...

May be in future, Canada carries will unlock the iPhone after finish contract or pay to unlock like some other countries in Europe, Asia, etc..

For example, you can click on "Europe" you will see if the country having "Carrier offers authorized unlocking" check... Then they offer the unlock service...

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1937
Deal Addict
May 30, 2005
1689 posts
30 upvotes
deal_with_singh wrote:
Aug 4th, 2010 3:19 am
The correct information is that at time of sale, if the sim card is scanned at the same time as the iphone, the iPhone locks to the carrier of the sim.
When I bought my unlocked iPhone4 from an Apple Store the "genius" asked me which carrier I want to go and he scanned a "free" Bell micro-SIM with my phone. Am I screwed?? :confused:
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
15357 posts
1585 upvotes
Toronto
QuadESL63 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2010 4:22 am
When I bought my unlocked iPhone4 from an Apple Store the "genius" asked me which carrier I want to go and he scanned a "free" Bell micro-SIM with my phone. Am I screwed?? :confused:
It depends, he was supposed to scan it in seperetly after selling you the phone. At Apple Store Sherway gardens all the reps were basically giving you one receipt for the iPhone and a seperate receipt for the $0 sim cards (at request). They ask you what carrier you want as in which sim card would you like with the phone, as long as you payed the full $779 price or w.e the full price for the 16gb was and not the full price you would pay at robellus (rogers, bell, telus) which was $749 and $649 for the carrier locked phones without contract, you should be good.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2005
285 posts
This is quite a conundrum. A few of the sellers I spoke to will not allow me to "call" to check on the receipt, so that option is out. Likewise, going to the Apple store together with the buyer will probably not work (I mean, if you are the seller, will you do this to accommodate the buyer? I bet you will just move on, and I don't blame you.).
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
2952 posts
2895 upvotes
Montreal
If you buy an unlocked phone from Apple, you can request any free SIM card carrier you want...

In my case, the REP didn't scan the SIM card... They just enter all the info required as number 111111111.. for SIM card, or any other info... then probably register the phone IMEI in whitelist of Apple database as unlocked iPhone...

You can have both iPhone + SIM card on one receipt... It doesn't matter...

Well if they let you see the receipt then it is easy... If they bought from Apple at the full price $779 + tax (iPhone 4 32GB) then it is the unlocked version...

Or you see the receipt having match iPhone IMEI and all other info having 11111111... like my receipt...
Aug 27, 2008
29 posts
to1337ca wrote:
Aug 4th, 2010 1:03 am
I like to know if there is a way to tell if the iPhone 4 is factory unlocked from the box alone (that is, without opening it and looking at the settings). I can't find the info on Apple's website.
From what I have seen at the Apple store when I was getting my unlocked phone, all iphones seem to be unlocked. The iphones are locked when apple activates the iphone with a particular carrier at once. But if apple activates only the iphone without binding with any carrier then that's unlocked iphone. So from the box alone, you cannot tell if the iphone is locked or unlocked.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
3481 posts
396 upvotes
Vancouver
I'll tell you how it works.

It's kind of funny, because I was really hopeful for a while, because all 3 of my friends that I went to the Apple Store with weren't given the option to not activate the phone in store.. but my rep said I could do it whevever.

It wasn't until a little while later while watching my friends' activations that I figured out how it works, or at least what the other rep told me. The iPhone 4s are all unlocked but notice that they scan a few things during the activation process with their scanning guns. On an unlocked phone, they scan a random phone number (ie. 111-111-1111) and a random SIM (00000000000). However, on the locked phones, they scan in a legitimate phone number and SIM number.. therefore I believe that the phone locks itself over-the-air shortly after purchase.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2009
2085 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
to1337ca wrote:
Aug 4th, 2010 4:54 am
This is quite a conundrum. A few of the sellers I spoke to will not allow me to "call" to check on the receipt, so that option is out. Likewise, going to the Apple store together with the buyer will probably not work (I mean, if you are the seller, will you do this to accommodate the buyer? I bet you will just move on, and I don't blame you.).
Get them to meet you at a mall. Then just show them the cash and request that they wait as you activate in front of them. It is VERY unlikely they would back out after having made the trip out and with cash right in front of them.

I was not as paranoid though. I was satisfied with an original copy of the receipt that had matching part #, serial #, and IMEI as the phone (there are ZERO privacy concerns...all it has is a name and email address...what's the big deal about that if they aren't scamming?).

It is pretty hard to fake the whole presentation package. The only real concern is that they grabbed the phone and re-shrink-wrapped it, which you can easily check by opening it right away.
Oct 19, 2004
405 posts
17 upvotes
01s0uljah wrote:
Aug 4th, 2010 1:19 pm
Yes you can differentiate an unlocked one.

Please refer to the Howardforums site below:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread. ... y-unlocked

MC605C/A is for Canadian unlocked 32GB models. Which is what I have..
I think those information is incorrect because you still can have the iPhone 4 model MC605C/A and it is locked...
Deal Addict
May 30, 2005
1689 posts
30 upvotes
Looking at my Apple Store receipt again:

IPHONE 4 BLACK 32GB-CAN
Part Number: MC605C/A
Serial Number: blah blah... :lol:
IMEI: blah blah blah...
Mobile Number: 1111111111
BAN: 111111111111111
No Contract Sim
Part Number: D5362VC/A
ICCID: 11111111111111111111

So, is my phone unlocked for life? Am I home free? :confused: Thanks
Mar 9, 2009
44 posts
1 upvote
I realizes that my full price iphone 4 lists multiple carriers in the settings (Rogers, Bell, Telus), while my Mom's locked iphone 3GS lists only 1 carrier in the settings. Is that the different between unlocked and locked iphone? Anyone knows?
Deal Addict
May 29, 2009
1067 posts
52 upvotes
There are people who sold their iPhone 4's with just the name at the top, no CC info. Nothing wrong with that. If they won't give you the top portion of the receipt, find a different seller. Plenty of iPhone 4's for sale now.
Mar 12, 2008
32 posts
1 upvote
Canada
I have a friended talked to Fido and they told him that all iphone 4 are unlocked. If the phone is bought with discounted price, Fido sent a signal to lock based on the IMEI number. Not sure if this is true.
× < >