Home & Garden

How to cancel a pre-2013 Hot Water Tank rental contract?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 11:03 pm
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
9 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa

How to cancel a pre-2013 Hot Water Tank rental contract?

Hot water tank was installed by National in 2009. The contract got passed on to us when we bought the house 6 years ago. Reliance took over National and acquired their contracts and the price has been increasing every Feb, We've paid more than $3,000 over the 6 years, (That would be equivalent to the cost of 2 new tanks with installation).

I tried to cancel with Reliance & they're asking for $450 ($250 termination fee & $200 disconnect/pickup fee) and to buy it out they want $950 Pouting Face(They sent me a copy of the original signed contract which confirms the $450 cancelation fee they asked for)

Today, another HVAC company offered to get me out of my contract, claiming that all pre-2013 contracts in Ontario were illegal (They vaguly mentioned something about door to door sales & being illegal) .
They want me to sign a representation form so they can represent me, and they'll negotiate with Reliance to get me out of the contract without paying a penny. The catch is that they want to get me in to a new contract with them which I don't want. I'm done renting hot water tanks

Does anyone know the specifics for those pre-2013 contracts how are they illegal & how can one get out of it? The new HVAC company, won't tell me what the loophole is to cancel myself (Obviously)
2 replies
Feb 9, 2006
152 posts
38 upvotes
The company won't do anything except buy your existing tank out from Reliance cause it's worth it to them many times over to have you paying rent to them now. They would probably pay the 250 termination fee and save another 200 by just dropping the tank off to a Reliance drop off location.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)