• Jul 7th, 2008 9:02 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 2, 2007
38 posts

How is Canon Powershot SD1000

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... lang=en-CA

I think it's a good price. I just need a thin and light camera, point and shoot type of thing.

My sister has a Casio and I was inclined to get that one but read some bad reviews about its LCD screen.

CNET gave powershot 1000 7.8/10 I believe which is a really good rating.

Any major issues with this camera anyone knows about?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
3806 posts
23 upvotes
That's a great price and many MANY RFDers bought one from Staples before Christmas. Lots of positive feedback and very reliable. Also good picture quality and easy to manage. It's amazing what they can pack into this tiny camera.

Canon's SD & A models are some of the best reviewed cameras and very consistent. You can probably find a NEW Retail box with receipt on RFD for $160 or Less. I sell Genuine replacement batteries.
Apr 30, 2007
621 posts
39 upvotes
devang1987 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2008 3:27 pm
Any major issues with this camera anyone knows about?
No optical image stabilization. Better spend a little bit more and get a SD1100 IS.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2001
2709 posts
19 upvotes
twin wrote:
Jul 4th, 2008 8:58 pm
No optical image stabilization. Better spend a little bit more and get a SD1100 IS.

no IS isn't an issue but its a feature that's missing at that price point

just remember when you look back at these pics in a couple years that 100 bucks wouldn't be important compared to sharper pics

I started out with a 2mp camera and looking back at those pics now is like nite and day compared to the canon 8mp or my nikon D200 shots

I have an SD800 and the SD850(on costco.ca for 249.99) which both have IS and some other features not on the SD1000 but the canon quality at any price point is undeniable and the digic 3 processor is impressive
Gigabyte MA990FXA-UD3/FX 8350/MSI R9 270X/16GB Corsair Vengeance/Win 10
Gigabyte 890GM-D2H/FX 8120/16GB Gskill/XFX 5770/Win 10
Heatware
[OP]
Feb 2, 2007
38 posts
Thanks for your replies.

I am not sure if I need IS or not. Is it really that big of a difference?

Also, one thing I really want is speed. THe casio camera I have is amazingly fast, as in the time between two consequent pictures is very short.

It really annoys me if you have to wait long between pics. What is the technical word for it? Shutter Speed?
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3122 posts
107 upvotes
Mississauga
devang1987 wrote:
Jul 7th, 2008 10:13 am
Thanks for your replies.

I am not sure if I need IS or not. Is it really that big of a difference?

Also, one thing I really want is speed. THe casio camera I have is amazingly fast, as in the time between two consequent pictures is very short.

It really annoys me if you have to wait long between pics. What is the technical word for it? Shutter Speed?
Depends... I know I shake like a crack head who needs a fix when taking pictures so some of my pictures come out blurred. It isn't shutter speed but rather FPS. Canon has some really quality cameras so you definitely won't be disappointed.
[OP]
Feb 2, 2007
38 posts
actually i think i will go with image stabilization one. a few bucks extra don't matter.

my camera will be used by ppl of all ages, and when old people use it, its better to have IS.
Aug 25, 2007
99 posts
1 upvote
GTA
I would go with the IS one, it makes quite a bit difference when shooting at low light.

If you need aftermarket replacement battery let me know :)