• Nov 20th, 2019 11:31 am
[OP]
Jul 19, 2007
269 posts
110 upvotes
Guelph

How to cap off old decomissioned fridge water line

Hi,

I bought a new fridge without an icemaker, so no longer want an active water line running from my under-the-counter RO system to my fridge. I realize I could cap off the water line at the fridge, but would rather somehow cap it close to the RO system itself. Right now I have a saddle valve that in theory, just by closing, should stop the flow to my fridge (via the clear tubing, see the pic). However, I have fully tightened the saddle valve, and water is still trickling out. Even if the saddle valve was working correctly, I would still want to cap the line just in case. Any ideas on how I can do this in the area circled in the picture? Is there some sort of cap I could buy to 1. Remove the clear tubing from the saddle valve connection, and 2. cap directly on the connector that is present already?
water.jpg
8 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
3847 posts
566 upvotes
Waterloo
Ben311 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2019 8:11 am
Hi,

I bought a new fridge without an icemaker, so no longer want an active water line running from my under-the-counter RO system to my fridge. I realize I could cap off the water line at the fridge, but would rather somehow cap it close to the RO system itself. Right now I have a saddle valve that in theory, just by closing, should stop the flow to my fridge (via the clear tubing, see the pic). However, I have fully tightened the saddle valve, and water is still trickling out. Even if the saddle valve was working correctly, I would still want to cap the line just in case. Any ideas on how I can do this in the area circled in the picture? Is there some sort of cap I could buy to 1. Remove the clear tubing from the saddle valve connection, and 2. cap directly on the connector that is present already?

water.jpg
you know they do actually sell "caps" for those lines. So your question is the answer too.
----
Pay it forward.
Oct 2, 2018
162 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
My first thought would be to run a new line end to end, that way you have no intermediate points of failure over time.

If that is not possible i would do as the other poster mentioned, remove the T connection and splice two water lines together.

The fewer splice points the better, over time it is just a better situation.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2783 posts
603 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
1. that is not a saddle valve
2. its some kind of shut off valve but definable not saddle, and its probably faulty, it needs to be replaced.
3. find where the hose goes, and shut it off at the start of the line.
4. someone def messed up your plumbing and used the wrong kind of hoses and connections and shut offs, i would clean it up and make it proper
5. never trust a saddle valve.
Hi
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
7090 posts
3265 upvotes
Paris
GoodFellaz wrote:
Nov 19th, 2019 3:55 pm
2. its some kind of shut off valve but definable not saddle, and its probably faulty, it needs to be replaced.
It’s somehow not a saddle valve but looks as trustworthy as a saddle valve. Bizarre.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
[OP]
Jul 19, 2007
269 posts
110 upvotes
Guelph
GoodFellaz wrote:
Nov 19th, 2019 3:55 pm
3. find where the hose goes, and shut it off at the start of the line.
4. someone def messed up your plumbing and used the wrong kind of hoses and connections and shut offs, i would clean it up and make it proper
5. never trust a saddle valve.
After visiting home depot I saw the valve in question... turns out it is a needle valve. Still a POS. I will be removing the T and replacing with a coupler as in the first reply. As a point of clarification for #3, the line running to the fridge starts in the circled area on the pic. It is starting at the T-- the clear tubing is the fridge line routing the filtered water (with the two blue tubes on the T containing the water coming from the RO unit, and going to the tap on the counter).

Thanks for all the replies !
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1152 posts
292 upvotes
Jerico wrote:
Nov 19th, 2019 4:27 pm
It’s somehow not a saddle valve but looks as trustworthy as a saddle valve. Bizarre.
"Trustworthy" and "Saddle Valve" should not be used in the same sentence ;)