Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
1015 posts
82 upvotes

how to change leaking faucet in bathroom

Had a leaking faucet(hot water) in the bathroom. But I couldn't find a valve beneath the counter top sink. It's easy to find a knob in the kitchen's top sink and shut off the valve to change o-ring.
Hope I don't have to break the wall to find the knob to shut off the water in bathroom. I'm living in a condo and someone say the valve is kind off different looking under the bathroom counter top sink. Anyone can help? Thanks a lot ;)
7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1858 posts
140 upvotes
Can you cut the water off to the whole condo?

If so, turn off water, cut the hot water line, install the cutoff, and feed a new line into the hot water. The newer lines are flexible and have compression fittings.

Best of luck,
M
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3130 posts
1 upvote
look for something like this in pairs on copper pipes (hot and cold)

do you have a square panel that opens with screwdriver under the sink or near behind the toilet?

If you have a water heater in your condo (some places do) the shut off valves could be located there. Some old condo units have a shut off valve in your neighbours unit so the valves close off water to 2 or more units) <-- found that out when changing bathtub faucet at grandmas condo when super came up for a visit with neighbours complainingg they have no water.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
1015 posts
82 upvotes
mcewen wrote:Can you cut the water off to the whole condo?

If so, turn off water, cut the hot water line, install the cutoff, and feed a new line into the hot water. The newer lines are flexible and have compression fittings.

Best of luck,
M
Thanks.
No I can't cut off the water to the whole building. I am pissed how terriable design like this in the bathroom make it so hard to repair leaking.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3130 posts
1 upvote
skywalker wrote:Thanks.
No I can't cut off the water to the whole building. I am pissed how terriable design like this in the bathroom make it so hard to repair leaking.

then call the condo mangement for quick fix( they might just turnoff water for 1/2 hr to let you fix it (without notifying neighbours). We had the same problem about 10 years ago my condo is old. They eventually sent plumbers to do each vertical line over many weeks eg 201, 301, 401, etc valves put in on same day.

anyhow condo management neeeds to be contacted and then if you have no valves anywhere in your condo, management has to turn it off while you fix.

Are you replacing the faucet or just changing the washer/cartridge?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
1015 posts
82 upvotes
steve.m wrote:look for something like this in pairs on copper pipes (hot and cold)

do you have a square panel that opens with screwdriver under the sink or near behind the toilet?

If you have a water heater in your condo (some places do) the shut off valves could be located there. Some old condo units have a shut off valve in your neighbours unit so the valves close off water to 2 or more units) <-- found that out when changing bathtub faucet at grandmas condo when super came up for a visit with neighbours complainingg they have no water.
Thanks.
That knob is I'm first looking but not in bathroom. That's surprised me as I find it in the kitchen sink under without problem. I don't have water heater in my unit, guess whole building has one.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
1015 posts
82 upvotes
steve.m wrote:then call the condo mangement for quick fix( they might just turnoff water for 1/2 hr to let you fix it (without notifying neighbours). We had the same problem about 10 years ago my condo is old. They eventually sent plumbers to do each vertical line over many weeks eg 201, 301, 401, etc valves put in on same day.

anyhow condo management neeeds to be contacted and then if you have no valves anywhere in your condo, management has to turn it off while you fix.

Are you replacing the faucet or just changing the washer/cartridge?
Guess I have to talk to building manager about it. I'm just replace the cartridge to stop leaking.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
1015 posts
82 upvotes
Finally got someone's help to shut off the valve. There does have a valve, inside the pipe.
[IMG]http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/5859 ... 0tu.th.jpg[/IMG]

I borrow this to turn it off. Any one know what is it called?
[IMG]http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/2841 ... 6pu.th.jpg[/IMG]

I got problem loose the cartridge. I can't get it out. It's all rust. Any advise?