Home & Garden

How to check for drafts/cold air seeping in - insulating windows?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 9:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
5992 posts
423 upvotes
TO

How to check for drafts/cold air seeping in - insulating windows?

Hi all,

Wondering if people here can share what they do to ensure all windows/doors are properly insulated and cold air doesn't seep into the home. It seems that this time of year, my furnace turns on very frequently. We have a 1400 sq ft semi home, temp at night is set to 22.5 and during the day around 19 to 20.5

I saw some videos on YT where people mention bubble wrap applying to windows as an easy and cheap way to insulate. How about doors around the house? Any other heat loss sources I should be looking into?
Furnace filter is changed every 1-2 months and for the past few months we've been using 3M merv 4-5 i believe (red and purple ones).

Appreciate if you share some ideas - I was also thinking of buying those kits from Canadian Tire to insulate.

thanks
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC ;)
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8662 posts
7316 upvotes
Oakville
Windows you can add a cling wrap film to help insulate it. They sell at reno stores.
Doors you can make sure the weather stripping is sealing well and replace if it's not.
The cheapest way to detect leaks is with your hand for coldness, or with a tissue paper for draft.
Next best is a $20 IR gun to spot check for cold spots.
The best is a FLIR camera, which makes it much easier but starts at a few hundred dollars.
If you haven't already, one of the biggest improvements you can make is to air seal your attic and insulate to R60.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1279 posts
430 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
What material are your windows and what is glazing? If it's an older house with two single pane aluminium frame windows, those leak a lot apparently. Heavy curtains and cellular blinds apparently help but are not cheap.

You might also want to make sure your doors sit square in the frame, and make sure they're sealed tight when closed.

Your temp setting seems a bit high (for me). We have ours set to 17c overnight and 19C in the day and 20C mid afternoon, and we're in most of the time too.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8662 posts
7316 upvotes
Oakville
thriftshopper wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 3:28 pm
What material are your windows and what is glazing? If it's an older house with two single pane aluminium frame windows, those leak a lot apparently. Heavy curtains and cellular blinds apparently help but are not cheap.

You might also want to make sure your doors sit square in the frame, and make sure they're sealed tight when closed.

Your temp setting seems a bit high (for me). We have ours set to 17c overnight and 19C in the day and 20C mid afternoon, and we're in most of the time too.
Hah! Mine is at 23'C all day but wife's at home with the baby. House temp is set to tstat in baby's room.

Only time it goes down is when we're away for an extended period, like this weekend.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
5992 posts
423 upvotes
TO
thriftshopper wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 3:28 pm

House was built in 2004 and I think the windows on the top floor maybe one of the reasons because I do see some condensation and frozen small amount of water near the sealant part of the windows. But then again the thermostat (NEST) sits literally few feet from the door so whenever someone opens the door, it kicks in.
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC ;)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
5992 posts
423 upvotes
TO
engineered wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 3:55 pm
Hah! Mine is at 23'C all day but wife's at home with the baby. House temp is set to tstat in baby's room.

Only time it goes down is when we're away for an extended period, like this weekend.

Thanks engineered, how did you generate the above? Do you have ecobee or nest?
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
1944 posts
789 upvotes
ontario
An incense stick does a great job of finding drafts
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1279 posts
430 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
TorontoEh wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 4:44 pm
House was built in 2004 and I think the windows on the top floor maybe one of the reasons because I do see some condensation and frozen small amount of water near the sealant part of the windows.
Can you post a photo showing the window and indicate where condensation occurs?

Your house was built the same time as mine albeit in different climates.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3911 posts
1035 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
TorontoEh wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 4:44 pm
Thanks engineered, how did you generate the above? Do you have ecobee or nest?
@engineered

Same question... using desktop version can not get same graph as yours... first world problems :)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
5992 posts
423 upvotes
TO
First thing I will to tomorrow is get the bubble wrap and apply to Windows, and then maybe insulation wrap over it with blow dryer ( maybe that's too much ?).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)