Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
2269 posts
45 upvotes
Surrey

How to choose battery booster pack?

I am looking into buying a portable battery booster pack just in case I have a dead battery or something of an emergency when on the road.

I need some help in the following stuff:
Keep in mind the most i will need to jump start is a family van (7 pass).

Amp: 500 PEAK AMPS, 250 COLD CRANKING AMP (enough) or 300 minimum crank amp.

Thanks in advance.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2003
4045 posts
12 upvotes
Cambridge
I have a 300 amp battery pack. It works fine on our ancient Chrysler minivan. This is for when you have a dead battery, not for when you have engine or starter troubles.

One thing you should always do when you boost is give a minute or two for the booster to bring your car battery up a bit, then you'll have more amps at your disposal.
Jun 21, 2006
617 posts
130 upvotes
Get one with a good warranty
like motormaster...
those things last about 3 years
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
2269 posts
45 upvotes
Surrey
Thanks,

It is just because I found a place that sells 250 crank amps for 29.99 and 315 crank amps w/ compressor for 49.99.

Anywhere to buy that's cheap. I would buy motomaster but i think its crap.
Any suggestions for cheap good booster pack is apreciated.

My Van is a 98 Nissan Quest but I might need it to start up our Murano when we go camping.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
194 upvotes
jan27299 wrote:Thanks,

It is just because I found a place that sells 250 crank amps for 29.99 and 315 crank amps w/ compressor for 49.99.

My Van is a 98 Nissan Quest but I might need it to start up our Murano when we go camping.
I'm not saying motomaster is anything special BUT it is backed by [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]canadian tire[/rfdlink]. Where is the other store? XS cargo or something? 30 day warranty? Is there going to be a store nearby when you need to exchange it for another one?

Just saying...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
2269 posts
45 upvotes
Surrey
jason9945 wrote:I'm not saying motomaster is anything special BUT it is backed by [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]canadian tire[/rfdlink]. Where is the other store? XS cargo or something? 30 day warranty? Is there going to be a store nearby when you need to exchange it for another one?

Just saying...

True, I might but the 300amp one from motomaster for 49 then.
Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
1726 posts
36 upvotes
Maple
jan27299 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2006 12:29 pm
Thanks,

Dun mean to dig up a old thread but any current deals on a cheap battery booster?
[removed - no solicitation]
Aug 1, 2008
227 posts
1 upvote
ygtgxi wrote:
Sep 21st, 2010 2:03 am
Dun mean to dig up a old thread but any current deals on a cheap battery booster?

also looking.. anywhere else besides CT that sell quality boosters? (not that CT has all quality ones) :p preferable under $100
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
32604 posts
5527 upvotes
jan27299 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2006 8:23 pm
I am looking into buying a portable battery booster pack just in case I have a dead battery or something of an emergency when on the road.

I need some help in the following stuff:
Keep in mind the most i will need to jump start is a family van (7 pass).

Amp: 500 PEAK AMPS, 250 COLD CRANKING AMP (enough) or 300 minimum crank amp.

Thanks in advance.

I'll probably need one for my 02 Civic as there were days last Winter when the battery (2.5 years old back then) was having difficulty cranking the starter/engine. So 300 AMP is good enough for small passenger cars?

When it STEVETHEWHEEL mentioned giving it a minute or two, does that mean leaving the terminals on the batter terminals for a couple of minutes while the booster pack is switched on?

Thank you.
New Dell PowerEdge T20 Mini Tower Server Pentium G3220 4GB 4Bay Win10Pro $250
new-dell-poweredge-t20-mini-tower-serve ... #p26754499
Nov 14, 2010
805 posts
79 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2011 4:08 pm
I'll probably need one for my 02 Civic as there were days last Winter when the battery (2.5 years old back then) was having difficulty cranking the starter/engine. So 300 AMP is good enough for small passenger cars?

When it STEVETHEWHEEL mentioned giving it a minute or two, does that mean leaving the terminals on the batter terminals for a couple of minutes while the booster pack is switched on?

Thank you.
Leaving it connected for a couple minutes is more important when you have a flat (discharged) battery rather than a weak battery that can't provide starting current. With the flat battery you want to build up some charge in the car's battery first. With a weak battery it's pretty much clamp and go. Same when using booster cables. If the battery is dead, connect and run the helper car for a couple minutes before trying to start.
Dec 16, 2006
380 posts
31 upvotes
My Motomaster Eliminator 700A booster pack I bought 3 years ago from Canadian Tire can not be recharged now.

I rarelly used it, but like to keep it in my trunk in winter for a piece of mind.

Any recomendation for a quality portable booster ?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
15403 posts
1249 upvotes
Langley
canada168 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2012 1:05 pm
My Motomaster Eliminator 700A booster pack I bought 3 years ago from Canadian Tire can not be recharged now.

I rarelly used it, but like to keep it in my trunk in winter for a piece of mind.

Any recomendation for a quality portable booster ?

You need to charge it every month so, or the battery will self-discharge. If you're not going to keep it charged, there's no point in buying one. You might want to crack the case open on your existing one and replace the battery, or it can sometimes be just as cheap to just buy a new one.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
2645 posts
167 upvotes
Mississauga
If you want something cheaper, I'm not sure if it's still on sale or not. Walmart has that 400A for $23, but it's probably over exaggerated. There were still stock at Heartland, two days ago.
× < >