• Sep 4th, 2007 1:51 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 20, 2005
691 posts
3 upvotes

How to close an forgotten credit card?

I had a Ebay credit card in 2004 and in 2006 they issued an Platinum credit card and said the old card is no good anymore and ask me to destroy the original card. This year, I checked my credit report and saw both the old card number and new card number listed on my report.

So here's the problem, I don't have the old card now as I destroyed it and I don't remember the old card number or expirty date or 3 digits secret number.

Is there a way I can close this credit card account?
3 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19071 posts
1549 upvotes
Are you sure they are both listed as open?

Even if they are, what often happens when you're issued a new card is the old *number* stays open for a period of time. This is because you may have pre-authorized payments set up against it. If you call eBay they can probably cancel the other one.

The other possibility is your credit report may simply be out of date or wrong, in which case you just file adispute with the bearu.

In the end there is nothing to get up in arms about; out of the 3 times I have checked my credit report in the past few years I have found no less than 7 mistakes.
[OP]
Jul 20, 2005
691 posts
3 upvotes
yEs, they both listed as open account.

I called MBNA. They said one of them is report as stolen and is not active. But I thought if the credit card account is closed, it would say so in the report. But this is not the case here, they said I need to notify credit burea that one of my card is closed. I am like huh?? When I closed my Rogers wireless account. The Rogers account on my report commented: closed as customer requested.

Then I don't have to worry about this. I was fearing someone will get my card number if it's expired and new card is sent to old address.