Off Topic Archive

Locked: How come email scammers are not caught more often?

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2012 10:45 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2968 posts
75 upvotes

How come email scammers are not caught more often?

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/artic ... 7-000?bn=1

-They send out tens of thousands of random emails
-They appear in person to collect the money
-The scams are widely known (despite people still falling for them)

So why don't sting operations like this happen more often?
Share:
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
7014 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
People fall for it because of the economy, greed, stupidity or a combination of that and more issues.

I saw a 2007 civic SI listed in autotrader at an ok price, not insanely low but a good price. I sent an email. Of course the email was a classic Nigerian scam. Email had a picture of some white skinned doctor on the end.

Here is what the email said

Hi,
* First of all I want to thank you for your interest in my car:2007 Honda Civic Si Fully Loaded .The car is still available,I sell it at this price because i just finished the divorce with my husband. When the divorce has finished i took this car,the problem is that i had to move with my children in the United States to start a new life here,i got a new job transfer(i work as a doctor).I know the price is cheaper than normal on the market but i want to sell the car faster then usually and I assume that a lower price will be a good solution. I hope there won't be any arguments for the price as this is my bottom.This car is in excellent working conditions,NO accidents, slightly used ,100% working and looking conditions,ONLY 74,490 km, is always garaged and , is registered in Canada and it has clear title .From the beginning you have to know that for the payment I request ONLY secure pay, I prefer the payment to be done using eBay Motors Shipping Company services so both of us can be protected.The final price that I want for this car is $7,500 CAD( including shipping and handling).
I will wait for your answer(if you are interested to buy) very soon! I wish you good health!
Thank you and have a great day!
Dr. Elena Ralson

http://hcgdietonreview.com/wp-content/u ... 03/7-1.jpg

That last link there is the exact picture at the end of the email which google images provided

I just will never understand how people fall for it but that's me.
Nov 6, 2009
406 posts
18 upvotes
WTF, I'm starting to get spam in my inbox now> :(

Here's one:

Chveron Lottery Fund
Hide Details

Frederick Morgan

TO:

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Message flagged
Sunday, May 27, 2012 10:55:48 AM
Our Reference: CHT 2012/19513-11.

Welcome to Chevron oil and Gas Company, endowment Lottery. Firstly, I want You to accept my sincere congratulation as your Email Address has been short listed as one of the beneficiary of this Year Chevron Online Endowment Lottery Award. You are advised to Read and Understand the Explanation of this Scheme as analyzed Below So that You Will Really Understand What is all about.

ABOUT CHEVRON ONLINE ENDOWMENT LOTTERY FUND AWARD

Chevron Is One Of the Biggest Multi-National Oil and Gas Company In the World that Specializes In Exploring, Refining and Marketing Of Crude Oil and has been rated the Largest and the Biggest Oil and Gas Producing Company 17 Times since we started Operation In 1916.

Due to the emolument of our Company, We Were mandated by the United Nations (UN), Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Company (OPEC), and the World Crude Oil Monitoring Forum to always use a Reasonable Percentage of our Yearly Profit to Help the Society at Large.

It Is In View Of this that we have always Empowered and Assisted Some Governmental and Non-Governmental Agencies like the United Nations Children Emergency Fund (UNICEF), World Health Organization (WHO), Future Group Europe, World Action Committee On AIDS etc Financially, We are Committed to Giving Most of this Organization a Reasonable Percentage Of Our Annual Profit to Enhance and Promote their Activities For the Sake Of Humanity.

On March 22nd, 2005, Chevron Signed a Memorandum Of Understanding With Microsoft Corporation. By virtue of the above, Chevron Since 2005 supports Three Email ID owners with Financial Assistance to participate in a UNIVERSAL EXCHANGE PROGRAM.

After the Successful Completion of our 2011 financial Year last year which Ended October 2011. Our Company Posted Profit was about 10.7% higher than what we realized in 2010. In View Of this, like it has always been our practice, Nine Hundred Thousand Pounds have Been disbursed to be shared among Three Lucky Email ID owners For the same Financial Year, Leaving Each Person With One three hundred thousand pounds each.

I am Pleased to inform you that Your Email Address Have Been Selected to Be Among This Three Lucky Email Address For the Year 2011 Endowment Funds.

HOW YOU WERE SELECTED

The Microsoft Corporation have always supplied this Company with Fifty short listed Email Addresses of Internet Users Yearly, Your Email Address was submitted for the Year 2012. After the Email Addresses were submitted to us, Random Selection By Microsoft Corporation ensued, The Best five Members Of Staff For the Year 2011 Picked from Over a seven Branch Office Of the Chevron Oil and Gas Company they where Invited For a Dinner on 17th Nov 2012 at the Caribbean where they where Privileged to Pick One Email Address Each at Random.

So one of this best staff picked your Email Address when he was asked to Pick at Random, therefore giving you the opportunity to claim for yourself a total cash of three hundred thousand pounds.

CONTACT OUR CLAIMS ZONE "2" OFFICER IMMEDIATELY:
Charlie William
EMAIL: charliewilliam@chevronnlotto.org

Please Note That You Were The 2nd beneficiary That Was Selected.

Once Again, Congratulations.

Chevron endowment Lottery
Public Welfare Department,
Chevron Oil and Gas Company,
1 West ferry Circu, Canary Wharf,
London E14 4HA, United Kingdom.
Avoid Scammers

Mauritius Island
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2968 posts
75 upvotes
ok BUT why don't email scammers get caught more often?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
7014 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
stuntman wrote:
May 28th, 2012 5:44 pm
ok BUT why don't email scammers get caught more often?

Probably because if anyone is dumb enough to fall for it then they get what they deserve. Maybe that's not why, but maybe it doesn't happen that often... That black money scam thing is just plain stupid though
Aug 19, 2002
231 posts
17 upvotes
Police have bigger fish to fry like people doing 55km/h in a 50km/h zone.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2007
3423 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
XtremeModder wrote:
May 28th, 2012 6:05 pm
Probably because if anyone is dumb enough to fall for it then they get what they deserve. Maybe that's not why, but maybe it doesn't happen that often... That black money scam thing is just plain stupid though
this
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2968 posts
75 upvotes
bomba wrote:
May 28th, 2012 7:23 pm
Police have bigger fish to fry like people doing 55km/h in a 50km/h zone.

^^^The only guy that understood the question.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2011
1723 posts
427 upvotes
I use gmail, I don't get spam.
× < >