• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2011 1:48 am
Tags:
None
Jul 8, 2008
12 posts
Toronto

How to compare French Immersion Program in different schools

When we look at public schools, we can compare EQAO result or review the Fraser Institute report. But how can I know which school offers good French Immersion Program? My kid is going to Early FI program in Dunlace school, anyone here have kids in the Dunlace FI grogram? How do you feel about the school? Which school has the best reputation for FI program in Toronto?
5 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12844 posts
571 upvotes
livefortoday wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 10:39 am
When we look at public schools, we can compare EQAO result or review the Fraser Institute report. But how can I know which school offers good French Immersion Program? My kid is going to Early FI program in Dunlace school, anyone here have kids in the Dunlace FI grogram? How do you feel about the school? Which school has the best reputation for FI program in Toronto?
Many districts in Toronto have only one school in a district that has French Immersion...many have waiting lists for in district students. Unless you are intending on moving to that particular district....
[OP]
Jul 8, 2008
12 posts
Toronto
Yes, I know. That's why I'd like to know which public school offers the best FI program in Toronto. We can move to that particular district. Right now, we have a friend said the FI at Dunlace school (york mills / leslie) is good, we want to know more opinion. Anyone here can give some insight? Many thanks.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12844 posts
571 upvotes
There really isn't much difference amongst the programs...The students might be different, but the program is fairly standard across all the board. The silly scores that you read about tell you more about the socio-economic demographics then the school, teachers or adminstration.
[OP]
Jul 8, 2008
12 posts
Toronto
I agree acroos the board, it is the same program and standard, however, teacher, school, students and parents make huge difference from school to school. Just want to find a good school for my kid.
Oct 20, 2008
42 posts
1 upvote
toronto
I think I ended up looking at the test results for schools as well as the neighbourhoods in which the schools were located, levels of education and income as well.

Broadlands PS is a great French Immersion school but I don't think it's in your area. Windfields would be another good school (grade 7-9). As for High schools they're all pretty good but York Mills Collegiate would be the next school that students would attend.

Many schools have websites as well and I'm sure if you wanted a tour you could contact the principal or something.
× < >