How to cut wooden box to install cooling fan

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 10:00 am
Apr 20, 2011
422 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto

How to cut wooden box to install cooling fan

I have couple of these box (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79203599/) which are attached to concrete wall. I am using them to keep my electronics (PS4, router etc) and since they don't have any proper ventilation system, they tend to heat up.

I was thinking to install https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00QFWLGPU?ref ... _122623040 this fan on those boxes. Now the question is that how can i cut a square shape hole (matching this fan) into the box which are attached to the wall. I own almost no tools and don't have much experience on these kind of things. So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
27 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Sounds like you want a jigsaw. You should be able to pick one up on sale under $50, or maybe used on kijiji.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tools-har ... sort-price

Basically you'll drill a pilot hole, then use the jig saw to cut your square hole.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
and you'll need two holes ... one for the cool air to go in and one for the hot air to go out.
Apr 20, 2011
422 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
pootza wrote: and you'll need two holes ... one for the cool air to go in and one for the hot air to go out.
exactly. but i need to know how to start with hole 1 :p
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
Yeah, drill and jigsaw. I'd try to borrow them (most people have a drill but maybe not a jigsaw) but you can get cheapo ones for under 100 for both.

Also, I think one fan should be OK - just one on top to outflow of hot air.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
hyph3n wrote: Thanks. Can i rent these things from somewhere?
You can probably rent it from Home Depot, but it's could be cheaper to just buy a basic unit. Everyone should have a decent drill though. You'll also need a set of drill bits. All of these things regularly go on sale at all of the reno stores.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5580 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto
If you want to save money on the fan you can buy a 200mm computer case fan for about $20. Then splice the cable on to the power leads of a USB cable and plug it into the back of your PS4 if you want it to turn on with the PS4 or even a regular USB charger. It'll then run at 5v DC instead of 12v and it'll spin quite slow and quiet. But you can buy that thing you linked if you wanted but a case fan is cheaper.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2625 posts
1620 upvotes
Alliston, ON
You could probably cut that cabinet with a drywall saw
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5580 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto
schade wrote: You could probably cut that cabinet with a drywall saw
I agree, Drill a few big'ish holes in it and slide a drywall saw in there and cut it out. Make the hole slightly smaller than the fan needs. Then get a flat file and make it fit flush. That way you don't accidentally make a hole that's too big/loose
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote: I agree, Drill a few big'ish holes in it and slide a drywall saw in there and cut it out. Make the hole slightly smaller than the fan needs. Then get a flat file and make it fit flush. That way you don't accidentally make a hole that's too big/loose
It's better and easier to cut the holes the proper size the first time.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1879 posts
1407 upvotes
Barrie ON
I have done this before, using a drill and a jigsaw as decribed above. I wasn't really happy with the result because of the wavy cut lines that were created. It is hard to change the direction of a cut when using a wide blade, and a narrow blade (scroll) can change so easily, it is hard to keep straight.

Since the fan you have chosen comes with a grill, the slightly wavy cut line wouldn't be seen at all from the outside of the cabinet at all, so that might be the best way for you to proceed. I assume the fan will be located behind the equipment in the cabinet, so the inside of the hole will not be seen.

I also came across this video which uses an oscillating saw. I do own a saw like this but I have not used it for this purpose. After watching the video though, I think it would produce neater cuts than the jigsaw.

Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
OP, depending on how big of a hole you need, a hole saw may be your best bet and all you need is a drill. It would be the fastest and easiest way.

Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
engineered wrote: OP, depending on how big of a hole you need, a hole saw may be your best bet and all you need is a drill. It would be the fastest and easiest way.

The OP needs a square hole not a round hole.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5580 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto
pootza wrote: It's better and easier to cut the holes the proper size the first time.
Of course but OP said he was a noob. Better to make it too small and have to file it bigger than cut it too big and be stuck with a huge hole
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote: Of course but OP said he was a noob. Better to make it too small and have to file it bigger than cut it too big and be stuck with a huge hole
It's better and easier to cut the holes the proper size the first time.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
One alternative to renting from a hardware store is the Toronto Tool Library:

LINK

Might make sense if you'll be borrowing a bunch of different tools throughout the year for various projects.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
pootza wrote: The OP needs a square hole not a round hole.
lol, I forgot. That explains why I first suggested a jigsaw. Still, if he ends up going with a standard case fan like another poster mentioned a hole saw would work.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5580 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: lol, I forgot. That explains why I first suggested a jigsaw. Still, if he ends up going with a standard case fan like another poster mentioned a hole saw would work.
Hole saw + screw case fan on the inside of the cabinet, done. Easy
Oct 7, 2007
633 posts
207 upvotes
Markham
FYI, the ikea furniture is not solid. There's a cardboard type material on the inside in an accordion shape to give it strength. When you cut the hole, the cut surfaces won't be flush/straight. This is ok though if you cut the hole slightly smaller and mount the fan on the outside since you see the inside of the cut.w

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)