• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 10:00 am
Penalty Box
Dec 19, 2009
2555 posts
920 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 6:38 pm
Of course but OP said he was a noob. Better to make it too small and have to file it bigger than cut it too big and be stuck with a huge hole
It's better and easier to cut the holes the proper size the first time.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3414 posts
2615 upvotes
Toronto
One alternative to renting from a hardware store is the Toronto Tool Library:

LINK

Might make sense if you'll be borrowing a bunch of different tools throughout the year for various projects.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4628 posts
3203 upvotes
GTA
pootza wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 6:29 pm
The OP needs a square hole not a round hole.
lol, I forgot. That explains why I first suggested a jigsaw. Still, if he ends up going with a standard case fan like another poster mentioned a hole saw would work.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4648 posts
170 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:37 pm
lol, I forgot. That explains why I first suggested a jigsaw. Still, if he ends up going with a standard case fan like another poster mentioned a hole saw would work.
Hole saw + screw case fan on the inside of the cabinet, done. Easy
Oct 7, 2007
496 posts
23 upvotes
Markham
FYI, the ikea furniture is not solid. There's a cardboard type material on the inside in an accordion shape to give it strength. When you cut the hole, the cut surfaces won't be flush/straight. This is ok though if you cut the hole slightly smaller and mount the fan on the outside since you see the inside of the cut.w
[OP]
Apr 20, 2011
112 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
excellent help guys. thanks a lot. i know where to start now
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3849 posts
547 upvotes
Richmond Hill
mrmccowcow wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:22 pm
FYI, the ikea furniture is not solid. There's a cardboard type material on the inside in an accordion shape to give it strength. When you cut the hole, the cut surfaces won't be flush/straight. This is ok though if you cut the hole slightly smaller and mount the fan on the outside since you see the inside of the cut.w
The cardboard guts are for stuff like LACK. BESTA and SEKTION are wood/MDF cabinets.
Penalty Box
Dec 19, 2009
2555 posts
920 upvotes
enwhyRFD wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 1:12 pm
The cardboard guts are for stuff like LACK. BESTA and SEKTION are wood/MDF cabinets.
It seems like BESTA is made from all kinds of crap.

From the OP's link:

Product description
TV unit:
Top panel/ Bottom panel/ Side panel/ Partition: Particleboard, Honeycomb structure recycled paper filling, Fiberboard, Foil, ABS plastic, Plastic
Back: Fiberboard, Foil

Frame:
Top panel/ Bottom panel/ Side panel/ Partition: Particleboard, Honeycomb structure recycled paper filling, Fiberboard, Foil, Plastic, Plastic, Foil
Back: Fiberboard, Foil, Foil
Top panel/ Bottom panel/ Side panel: Particleboard, Honeycomb structure recycled paper filling, Fiberboard, Foil, Plastic
Back: Fiberboard, Foil

Shelf:
Fiberboard, Particleboard, Honeycomb structure recycled paper filling, Foil, Plastic
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
11238 posts
892 upvotes
Remove the rear cardboard panel. I presume your IR device requires you to have the front open and the general level of heat shall create some form of an air movement within those enclosures
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7890 posts
1950 upvotes
Brampton
eldiablo wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 5:00 pm
Remove the rear cardboard panel. I presume your IR device requires you to have the front open and the general level of heat shall create some form of an air movement within those enclosures
I'd assume he must have some kind of Harmony Hub type setup to keep everything closed at all times.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1276 posts
349 upvotes
London
eldiablo wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 5:00 pm
Remove the rear cardboard panel.
Even though the rear in cabinets like this is close to being cardboard, it often does provide some structural support just by holding the rest square.
I agree with the concept, but it would be better to just add a few larger holes for airflow. (holesaw is perfect way)
Given the circumstances of the OP, that may be a problem too.