Automotive

How damage are you doing Donuts in the snow?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2019 9:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17390 posts
1603 upvotes
Woodbridge

How damage are you doing Donuts in the snow?

Just curious. I seem to be seeing a lot lately in empty parking lots.

I never got what's so exciting about doing Donuts.

Ripping it say on the 407 at 2 in the morning, running Forks of the Credit is more thrilling.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
58 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2607 posts
1421 upvotes
GTA
More like 407 is ripping you off at 2 in the morning Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes Parking lot doesn't cost anything.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
22651 posts
7679 upvotes
Toronto
@ 2am, I rather be enjoying my good night sleep Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Jan 17, 2009
582 posts
444 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Nothing unless they're doing it constantly or slide into a curb, then it gets expensive.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
1384 posts
1210 upvotes
There is no cost, and if someone's doing that in a parking lot, leave them alone. If the only car/life they can hurt is their own, leave them be. I'd rather not have to deal with these morons on a public road.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8914 posts
1342 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Its actually fun to do in an empty parking lot & you learn how your car reacts in a slide and how to control it which can be beneficial if your car slides on the road, you actually improve your driving skill knowing how your car will react. Most people have no idea how their car will react in a slide and how to correct it so when it happens on the road they panic and make it much worse.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10842 posts
3825 upvotes
Toronto
it's better they are doing it in empty parking lots at 2 am possibly learning how their car behaves in the snow then finding out the hard way in traffic.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13422 posts
2898 upvotes
London
There are so many fail videos on YouTube of people doing major damage to their cars while doing donuts in a parking lot.
- hitting lamp poles
- hitting parking blocks hidden in the snow
- hitting other cars/ people
- breaking drivetrain
- cops driving by
Etc, etc

Where you do major drivetrain damage is if the wheels are spinning and one tire suddenly grips on some exposed pavement. If the speedo = 120 km/hr displayed, one tire goes to zero, the other tire tries to go to 240km/hr. You can bust cv joints, driveshaft or differential parts due to the sudden change in speed
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25638 posts
11839 upvotes
Ottawa
I've done this several times at my work's parking lot, just to see how the vehicle reacts.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
2174 posts
464 upvotes
It depends on the car, and how often you do these donuts. It is basically the same situation / damage that comes from drifting, driver is beating the crap out of the car.

The damage can be something tangible (car needs alignment, struts, tires, etc.) or something that cannot be easily measured (extra wear to engine, clutch, transmission, and parking brake).
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2602 posts
1497 upvotes
Montreal
In the snow no pavement showing, nothing unless you hit something. I've done it in a foot deep snow in my TJ, super fun.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
11086 posts
6553 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Taught my wife about slide control in my G35 coupe 6spd. She had never driven RWD in the snow so I wanted her to understand how it behaves and not get caught off guard if she drove it in the snow.

And rips on the 407 FTL. Ain’t nobody wanna pay for that shit lol
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9609 posts
8559 upvotes
Oakville
No damage is being done in an empty parking lot. Everybody should be doing donuts in empty parking lots to learn how their car behaves and car control.
Much more damage can be done racing on the 407 or Forks.
I do donuts every chance I can get at the empty end of my company's parking lot.
l69norm wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 9:43 am
There are so many fail videos on YouTube of people doing major damage to their cars while doing donuts in a parking lot.
- hitting lamp poles
- hitting parking blocks hidden in the snow
- hitting other cars/ people
- breaking drivetrain
- cops driving by
Etc, etc

Where you do major drivetrain damage is if the wheels are spinning and one tire suddenly grips on some exposed pavement. If the speedo = 120 km/hr displayed, one tire goes to zero, the other tire tries to go to 240km/hr. You can bust cv joints, driveshaft or differential parts due to the sudden change in speed
Yea, lots of idiots around, but they do stupid things everywhere, including bombing down the 407 or Forks of the Credit. Much more likely to be caught by cops on the Forks as well.
Better to take to the track where it's safer and legal.

Also, nobody but a complete moron is doing 120kph wheel speed during a donut. That's 3rd or 4th gear. Only Hoonigans do that when they're trying to blow the car up. Donuts are usually done in 1st or 2nd. Ideally you should know what the parking lot looks like when it's dry, to be sure there's no parking blocks hidden.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3702 posts
3669 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Why the 407 when you can do it free on the 401 at 2am?

Forks of the credit is a joke. Speed bumps galore. Bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9609 posts
8559 upvotes
Oakville
er34er34 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 10:39 am
Why the 407 when you can do it free on the 401 at 2am?

Forks of the credit is a joke. Speed bumps galore. Bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Yea, Forks is pretty pathetic. Pretty sad that people think it's fun. Just go to track day at a local track or autocross and have a million times more fun.