Cell Phones

How to deal with issue related to wrong advice from Koodo customer service rep?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2019 2:11 pm
Jun 28, 2011
169 posts
16 upvotes
Oakville

How to deal with issue related to wrong advice from Koodo customer service rep?

Looking for suggestions on how to resolve an issue caused by a Koodo customer service rep that made me to lose out on a great Black friday deal

Some background context:
  1. Nov. 28th
    - I ordered a Google Pixel 4 XL in white color on Black Friday November 28th. Koodo had the best discount for a new plan - $360 up front for the phone and $15/month for 24 months on a $60/month plan. This also included an Amazon Prime membership for 1 year - $79. In total the phone cost ($720 + tax) minus the $79 Amazon Prime membership
  2. Nov. 28th
    - I received a confirmation email that my order was approved and was being processed.
  3. Dec. 5th
    - Fast forward 5 days later to Dec. 5th and I still had not received a shipping confirmation. I called Koodo's customer service number - 1-866-995-6636 and spoke to Edwin. He basically said there was no way for him to check the status of the phone using the systems he had access to and he would need to talk to someone in the Web Store department and then call me back. I said ok.
  4. Dec. 5th
    - Edwin called me back a couple of hours later and said that the Web Store had no inventory of the White color Google Pixel 4 XL right now and the earliest they are expecting to get shipment would be Dec. 14th (so basically 9 days out).
    - My current provider's (Fido) plan was up for renewal on Dec. 13th, so I asked Edwin if I can change my existing order to a black Google Pixel 4 XL instead. He said, no they cannot change the order. The only way to get a black one would be to cancel the current order and place a new order.
    - Now here is where the issue started. He did not know (and neither did I) that if I cancelled my existing order and placed an order for a new one, I would not get the same deal as the one I got on Nov. 28th as the Black Friday deals were over. Now the price is $290 more upfront - so $750 up front and $360 over 2 years at $15/month on the $60/month plan.
    - Anyway based on the advice of Edwin, I went ahead with him on the phone and someone from the Web Store department and cancelled the order. All of this conversation was recorded of course.
    - He advised to wait till I get a cancellation confirmation email before I placed an order for the black one. I still haven't received that cancellation confirmation, however I checked the Koodo.com site and noticed that I could not get the Black Friday deal anymore (surprise!).
    - When I noticed the price increase, I didn't place a new order, but called Koodo back again and this time asked to see a supervisor. After spending half an hour explaining the story to the customer rep, I managed to get hold of a supervisor - Mohammed and he said he can help and would check the status with the Web Store.
    - After holding for about 10 minutes Mohammed came back on the phone and said he can see the status and its in fact not been cancelled. I asked him to make sure of that as on my previous call earlier in the day with the Web Store, they had clearly said it was cancelled. He said, no it has NOT been cancelled. So I breathed a huge sigh of relief and thanked him.
    - After about an hour or so, I checked the status of the order online as I had my initial confirmation number when the order was approved and to my dismay the order had been cancelled. I still haven't received an email confirmation that my order has been cancelled. Mohammed had mentioned earlier that if in fact the order was cancelled, there was nothing he could do about it and I would have to pay the regular price if I placed a new order.

Any suggestions on how I can resolve this issue or have I simply lost that deal?

Two other points to consider. I had placed two other orders the same day - a black Google Pixel 4 XL in black for myself (the white one above was for my wife) and a Google Pixel 3a XL for my son. We got both of the phones 3 days later on Dec. 3rd and we have already transferred the existing numbers from Fido to Koodo. Is it feasible to threaten to cancel these two lines (yes I know that I will have to pay the full tab balance if I do that) if Koodo cannot honor the Black Friday deal on the white Pixel?

Koodo stands to lose $60x12x2 = $1,440 for the two lines.

They stand to gain $60x12x3 = $2,160 by giving me the black friday deal on the white Pixel.
Last edited by hameed on Dec 6th, 2019 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: I'd try Koodo again and speak with a supervisor to get your initial order.

If that doesn't work, submit a file into CCTS...
In order to file a complaint, make sure to get the CSR name(s) who did you talked to.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Jul 2, 2011
285 posts
173 upvotes
Pickering, ON
hameed wrote: Looking for suggestions on how to resolve an issue caused by a Koodo customer service rep that made me to lose out on a great Black friday deal

Some background context:
  1. Nov. 28th
    - I ordered a Google Pixel 4 XL in white color on Black Friday November 28th. Koodo had the best discount for a new plan - $360 up front for the phone and $15/month for 24 months on a $60/month plan. This also included an Amazon Prime membership for 1 year - $79. In total the phone cost ($720 + tax) minus the $79 Amazon Prime membership
  2. Nov. 28th
    - I received a confirmation email that my order was approved and was being processed.
  3. Dec. 5th
    - Fast forward 5 days later to Dec. 5th and I still had not received a shipping confirmation. I called Koodo's customer service number - 1-866-995-6636 and spoke to Edwin. He basically said there was no way for him to check the status of the phone using the systems he had access to and he would need to talk to someone in the Web Store department and then call me back. I said ok.
  4. Dec. 5th
    - Edwin called me back a couple of hours later and said that the Web Store had no inventory of the White color Google Pixel 4 XL right now and the earliest they are expecting to get shipment would be Dec. 14th (so basically 9 days out).
    - My current provider's (Fido) plan was up for renewal on Dec. 13th, so I asked Edwin if I can change my existing order to a black Google Pixel 4 XL instead. He said, no they cannot change the order. The only way to get a black one would be to cancel the current order and place a new order.
    - Now here is where the issue started. He did not know (and neither did I) that if I cancelled my existing order and placed an order for a new one, I would not get the same deal as the one I got on Nov. 28th as the Black Friday deals were over. Now the price is $290 more upfront - so $750 up front and $360 over 2 years at $15/month on the $60/month plan.
    - Anyway based on the advice of Edwin, I went ahead with him on the phone and someone from the Web Store department and cancelled the order. All of this conversation was recorded of course.
    - He advised to wait till I get a cancellation confirmation email before I placed an order for the black one. I still haven't received that cancellation confirmation, however I checked the Koodo.com site and noticed that I could not get the Black Friday deal anymore (surprise!).
    - When I noticed the price increase, I didn't place a new order, but called Koodo back again and this time asked to see a supervisor. After spending half an hour explaining the story to the customer rep, I managed to get hold of a supervisor - Mohammed and he said he can help and would check the status with the Web Store.
    - After holding for about 10 minutes Mohammed came back on the phone and said he can see the status and its in fact not been cancelled. I asked him to make sure of that as on my previous call earlier in the day with the Web Store, they had clearly said it was cancelled. He said, no it has NOT been cancelled. So I breathed a huge sigh of relief and thanked him.
    - After about an hour or so, I checked the status of the order online as I had my initial confirmation number when the order was approved and to my dismay the order had been cancelled. I still haven't received an email confirmation that my order has been cancelled. Mohammed had mentioned earlier that if in fact the order was cancelled, there was nothing he could do about it and I would have to pay the regular price if I placed a new order.

Any suggestions on how I can resolve this issue or have I simply lost that deal?

Two other points to consider. I had placed two other orders the same day - a black Google Pixel 4 XL in black for myself (the white one above was for my wife) and a Google Pixel 3a XL for my son. We got both of the phones 3 days later on Dec. 3rd and we have already transferred the existing numbers from Fido to Koodo. Is it feasible to threaten to cancel these two lines (yes I know that I will have to pay the full tab balance if I do that) if Koodo cannot honor the Black Friday deal on the white Pixel?

Koodo stands to lose $60x12x2 = $1,440 for the two lines.

They stand to gain $60x12x3 = $2,160 by giving me the black friday deal on the white Pixel.
FYI, this is NOT NECESSARILY TRUE!! Unless you elect to keep the other phones for that price. You are still within your 15 day trial period and if you have not used more than 30 voice minutes or 50 text messages or 50 MB of data then you may cancel without charge. I hope this helps you out.

Tom
Jun 28, 2011
169 posts
16 upvotes
Oakville
ji2o0k wrote: I'd try Koodo again and speak with a supervisor to get your initial order.

If that doesn't work, submit a file into CCTS...
Will do, thanks!

embguy wrote: In order to file a complaint, make sure to get the CSR name(s) who did you talked to.
Will do, thanks.
tom_no.1 wrote: FYI, this is NOT NECESSARILY TRUE!! Unless you elect to keep the other phones for that price. You are still within your 15 day trial period and if you have not used more than 30 voice minutes or 50 text messages or 50 MB of data then you may cancel without charge. I hope this helps you out.

Tom
Thanks for the heads up Tom!
Jul 2, 2011
285 posts
173 upvotes
Pickering, ON
hameed wrote: Will do, thanks!

Will do, thanks.

Thanks for the heads up Tom!
You're welcome! Even if you have used more than the allowable limit, the customer service person doesn't know that so you're still in a very good negotiating position. Winking Face
Jun 28, 2011
169 posts
16 upvotes
Oakville
tom_no.1 wrote: You're welcome! Even if you have used more than the allowable limit, the customer service person doesn't know that so you're still in a very good negotiating position. Winking Face
I wasn't paying full attention at first to your feedback. Are you saying I may not have to pay the tab balance ($360 x 2) if I cancel my contract in less than 15 days?
Jul 2, 2011
285 posts
173 upvotes
Pickering, ON
hameed wrote: I wasn't paying full attention at first to your feedback. Are you saying I may not have to pay the tab balance ($360 x 2) if I cancel my contract in less than 15 days?
If you cancel the deal and send the phone(s) back then you don't have to pay anything at all!

Here's the clause in your agreement:

"Is there a trial period?
If you're not satisfied with your phone or the service, you can
return the phone for a full refund and cancel the service within
15 days of the start of your service. You won't be charged for
the service unless you've used more than 30 voice minutes or
50 text messages or 50 MB of data. Over those limits, we'll
only charge for the number of days before cancellation, based
on your monthly plan, plus any pay-per-use services used.
If
you're a person with a disability, this trial period is extended to 30
days and the usage limits before charges apply are doubled. The
phone must be returned in near new condition with the original
packaging."

Tom

Edit: Pay particular attention to the bold text. If you're not within the correct time frame (15 or 30 days) and limits then you will be required to pay the whole shebang!
Last edited by tom_no.1 on Dec 6th, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jun 28, 2011
169 posts
16 upvotes
Oakville
tom_no.1 wrote: If you cancel the deal and send the phone(s) back then you don't have to pay anything at all.

Here's the clause in your agreement:

"Is there a trial period?
If you're not satisfied with your phone or the service, you can
return the phone for a full refund and cancel the service within
15 days of the start of your service. You won't be charged for
the service unless you've used more than 30 voice minutes or
50 text messages or 50 MB of data. Over those limits, we'll
only charge for the number of days before cancellation, based
on your monthly plan, plus any pay-per-use services used. If
you're a person with a disability, this trial period is extended to 30
days and the usage limits before charges apply are doubled. The
phone must be returned in near new condition with the original
packaging."

Tom
Thanks for clarifying!
Jun 13, 2019
82 posts
49 upvotes
If you read what the CRTC says about the trial period, it's in fact not 30 mins 50 SMS and 50 MB. The trial period of 14 days is that you cannot use more than half of your service if you want to cancel for free otherwise you pay what you use. For customers returning a phone it's just 14 days if you don't like then you bring it back.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2016
1821 posts
1999 upvotes
In your case I would not have cancelled without checking if the sale is still there. You could keep your fido connection running and then port out when koodo delivers your pixel 4xl. Fido will refund you for days you did not use their service. And Koodo will not charge you for days you did not use their service. The only down side is the fact you have to wait for the delivery. I mean you could call in and negotiate with them further but I don't have high hopes for them to be able to do something. I suggest you return the phones stick with koodo and see if there are any sales on boxing day. If they don't have any sales on the phones you want then you can leave without paying the outrageous phone credits and tab.
Jun 28, 2011
169 posts
16 upvotes
Oakville
I called back and spoke to the same supervisor - Mohammed as I had spoken to first and worked out a deal where I would have to buy the phone in a store (cannot purchase it on line) and I would get a similar deal as the first two phones. I would have to pay the $750 to purchase the phone, but he would credit my account with $390. So in short, it would come out to exactly what I paid for the first Pixel 4 XL. I have not purchased the phone yet as I still cannot see the credit when I log into my account. I called back on Saturday and just spoke to regular customer service rep and they confirmed that they can see the $390 on my account. So I have no idea why I can't see it.

I will call a store and ask about this as I'm hesitant to buy the phone now when I cannot see the credit when I login to my account.
Jul 19, 2010
885 posts
566 upvotes
Calgary
credit is most likely pending, and you won't see it until your bill is generated... This could take a long time.
Jun 28, 2011
169 posts
16 upvotes
Oakville
drtmrcht wrote: credit is most likely pending, and you won't see it until your bill is generated... This could take a long time.
Long time as in a month as the billing cycle is the 7th of the month?
Jul 19, 2010
885 posts
566 upvotes
Calgary
Yup, if your current balance isn't showing a credit, it will most certainly be after the billing cycle.. I would say maybe the 11-12 th before you will see it. It's too bad that stuff isn't "real time".

hameed wrote: Long time as in a month as the billing cycle is the 7th of the month?
Jun 28, 2011
169 posts
16 upvotes
Oakville
drtmrcht wrote: Yup, if your current balance isn't showing a credit, it will most certainly be after the billing cycle.. I would say maybe the 11-12 th before you will see it. It's too bad that stuff isn't "real time".
Just got my first bill and the credit shows there! Woohoo!!!! Issue resolved.