• Jun 29th, 2006 4:09 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 26, 2004
14 posts

how to desalt salted cashews?

well, i got some salted cashews and i find them too salty
does anyone know how to desalt them?
i was thinking of rinsing it under water and drying it by placing them into the oven for an hour or so? is that safe to do?

any ideas?
thanks in advance
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2004
4154 posts
119 upvotes
A low speed centrifuge might help. Find a buddy with access to a science lab :)
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
4 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
Find a strainer that has somewhat fine mesh, give the cashews a good shake until the desired amount of salt is strained out. It'll de-salt it rather effectively. I have been doing this for a while now and it's worked great
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
NDman wrote:I have been doing this for a while now and it's worked great
Why don't you just buy unsalted cashews? :razz:
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
4 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
Rehan wrote:Why don't you just buy unsalted cashews? :razz:
Because I still want a bit of salt. Just when they are way too salty right out of the can :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5410 posts
171 upvotes
BC
NDman wrote:Because I still want a bit of salt. Just when they are way too salty right out of the can :cheesygri
there is a big difference between salted and unsalted in taste.. and i agree there is way too much salt but a little is nice.

thanks for the tip!
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
Have any of you tried Cajun flavored cashews? I bought some recently at Longo's... they pack a nice little zing. :)
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5410 posts
171 upvotes
BC
Rehan wrote:Have any of you tried Cajun flavored cashews? I bought some recently at Longo's... they pack a nice little zing. :)
sounds interesting.. i've actually never tried any flavoured cashews
That's my 2cents worth
Mar 13, 2006
66 posts
Solution: Buy 1 salted and 1 unsalted.

Add them together subtract add multiply divide until you have the perfect combination.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12169 posts
277 upvotes
rinse with water for a quick sec, then pan toast them for a bit with a little bit of your favourite oil
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
Aug 11, 2005
624 posts
2 upvotes
Why not buy the unsalted ones and then put whatever amount of salt you want on it and bake them. Saves the step of having to wash them. You could be adventurous and use Old Bay instead of regular salt.
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
4 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
bananaman wrote:Why not buy the unsalted ones and then put whatever amount of salt you want on it and bake them. Saves the step of having to wash them. You could be adventurous and use Old Bay instead of regular salt.
Part of the problem is that salt doesn't really stick well. Most of the salted cashews, or whatever nuts, were pre-coated with a very thin layer of oil so that salt can stick better. Unsalted ones are usually bare-naked, with no oil so it's hard to get the seasoning to stick well
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3283 posts
140 upvotes
For those who bought unsalted nuts and want a bit of salt to taste... Normal table salt can be fine ground into a powder with one of those high speed coffee grinders. The resulting powder is so fine... it sticks to anything.

BTW: unsalted nuts in bulk doesn't have one of the taxes..

I will note that shaking salt off nuts can be a bit difficult...
Deal Addict
May 7, 2005
2787 posts
40 upvotes
if only you lived closer to me...I would have licked the salt off them for free!
× < >