Computers & Electronics

How difficult would it be to upgrade my motherboard?

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2015 11:22 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
2764 posts
387 upvotes
Calgary

How difficult would it be to upgrade my motherboard?

So it's been a really long time since I've really looked into this sort of thing. I figure it's time for an upgrade from my 6 year old X58 mobo/i7-920, it makes a lot of heat and 2 of my sata ports are somehow dead.

Would it be plausible to just uninstall whatever drivers and such and hope for the best when I turn it on with something new and windows will work?
4 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
You need a whole new motherboard and CPU set for proper upgrade unless you want to risk on a used mobo. Why? LGA 1366 is DISCONTINUED
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
I know you will have no problem with Windows 8 but with Windows 7 try to make sure to uninstall most drivers. If you have a retail version of Windows that would be great if not you will have to explain to Microsoft to give you a new license or find a way to backup your license before performing the Windows transfer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/29 ... -swap.html
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
Soulsaber wrote: Would it be plausible to just uninstall whatever drivers and such and hope for the best when I turn it on with something new and windows will work?
it's really not worth it, so take this as an opportunity to refresh your windows install and get a clean, faster running system. just backup your files, save your bookmarks to file, and go for it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)