Computers & Electronics

How to Disable Built-In Laptop Web Camera?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2009 2:08 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2692 posts
235 upvotes
Canada

How to Disable Built-In Laptop Web Camera?

How do I cover/disable my built in web camera semi-permanently without damaging the laptop much if at all? So hackers can't use it... (I don't really ever plan on using it, maybe once in a while.)
32 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
3694 posts
138 upvotes
go to your device manager and disabled your webcam, not uninstall as it will pop up when u restart comp.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2692 posts
235 upvotes
Canada
mingyang wrote:
Apr 9th, 2009 11:30 pm
go to your device manager and disabled your webcam, not uninstall as it will pop up when u restart comp.
Thanks for the idea, but I'm looking for a more permanent solution. Is there some type of black tape I can cover it without leaving very much glue residue until I want to use it?
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
2241 posts
135 upvotes
you talk about a more permanent solution, then talk about tape and removing it?? what is it that you're looking for?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2692 posts
235 upvotes
Canada
mcplar wrote:
Apr 9th, 2009 11:50 pm
you talk about a more permanent solution, then talk about tape and removing it?? what is it that you're looking for?
I'm looking for a type of tape that will cover it with little residue so it doesn't ruin it. A hacker can easily get into a computer and re-enable a disabled webcam without knowledge.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
2241 posts
135 upvotes
if it's built in... what about in the bios
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2495 posts
83 upvotes
scoobydoo wrote:
Apr 9th, 2009 11:35 pm
Thanks for the idea, but I'm looking for a more permanent solution. Is there some type of black tape I can cover it without leaving very much glue residue until I want to use it?
lol you can't anymore permanent than DISABLING it in your device manager. LOL

that or uninstall the driver for it altogether. THAT is permanent.

tape LOLOL seriously.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20372 posts
1595 upvotes
This thread made my day. Talk about paranoid.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5833 posts
232 upvotes
Put a sharpie to it.

Edit: A postit note is low adhesive
Aug 18, 2007
961 posts
5 upvotes
I assure you, hackers have much better things to do than look at you. It's not like there's really anything good to see :lol:

Seriously though, you're being way too paranoid. If you're determined, sharpie over the lens is best. You can remove it with rubbing alcohol.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
scoobydoo wrote:
Apr 10th, 2009 12:00 am
I'm looking for a type of tape that will cover it with little residue so it doesn't ruin it. A hacker can easily get into a computer and re-enable a disabled webcam without knowledge.
Cut a piece of paper. Use the paper to cover the camera and then put a tape of your choice on top of it.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2004
9962 posts
445 upvotes
Mississauga
Seiphas wrote:
Apr 10th, 2009 12:32 am
I assure you, hackers have much better things to do than look at you. It's not like there's really anything good to see :lol:

Seriously though, you're being way too paranoid. If you're determined, sharpie over the lens is best. You can remove it with rubbing alcohol.
I think he's more worried about a hacker catching him spanking the monkey and posting it on the internet and then when his mommy comes across it on the internet, she will spank his ass.

All makes sense.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2738 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
lol threadfail
Witty Comment
"I love to go to the schoolyard and watch the children jump and scream, but they don't know I'm using blanks." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2004
1595 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
Umm ... okay other than the kindergarden comments yes a hacker can easily re-install disable cameras in control panel.

i remember when back in the day we used what was it umm....

Sub7 and back orifice and netbus
they used icq or mirc network to send the ip's over everytime they changed it was amazing

they were server and client... you could caputure screen shits control and use the entire desktop, eject cdroms, upload,download ftp, mirc it was actually quite amazing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub7

anyways even though it sounds cheasy ... tape is your best bet.
Mar 18, 2003
470 posts
41 upvotes
Vancouver
Did you "borrow" this laptop from a "friend" and don't want the laptop to phone home with your picture?

Tape a piece of paper over the webcam. You might get tape residue on the lens if you just used tape by itself.
× < >