Careers

How do I check the pay band for a position at a college in Toronto

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2018 2:20 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1085 posts
81 upvotes
East York, ON

How do I check the pay band for a position at a college in Toronto

Hi guys

Someone that I know has been bragging about his job, more exactly about his salary and I think he is laying big time.
He is telling me that, at one of the GTA Colleges (S....a) a building automation technician makes around 75K now and then in three years he can raise to 85K
I find it kind of hard to believe for two reasons:
-Glassdor.ca shows manager salaries in that range
-Sunshine list shows professors at around 100K (above)

Is there anyway I can check this and call out his BS ?

Note:in general I don't give a damn shit about how much money others make if I don't pay them myself :-)) but he managed to get on my nerves with his bragging (well it started when I realized he was laying about his wife's salary -above 100K he said, at a Toronto hospital but I just checked and she is not on the sunshine list; this was when I realized that he counts as salary every perk his wife is getting which is bullshit because some things can't be converted to cash and you can't trade them or anything ....ex training)
52 replies
Sr. Member
Aug 16, 2017
542 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
why would one lie about his salary? i dont get it. and why would he tell his salary to someone else? Did you ask how much he makes? (don't do that)

i call bluff.

as for your question, maybe find someone on linkedin with the same position as him on the same college and ask? I doubt they'll tell you though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1085 posts
81 upvotes
East York, ON
DimsumDeals wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 10:51 am
why would one lie about his salary? i dont get it. and why would he tell his salary to someone else? Did you ask how much he makes? (don't do that)

i call bluff.
He voluntarily told me about his salary and previously about his family salary
I think he has a problem with how much money I make (my rate changes but I told him long time ago because he asked how much I was making) Since then I never discussed my money with him but he can see some significant changes in my life style (although I am quite frugal and stingy when it comes paying others :-)) )
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1085 posts
81 upvotes
East York, ON
DimsumDeals wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 10:51 am
why would one lie about his salary? i dont get it. and why would he tell his salary to someone else? Did you ask how much he makes? (don't do that)

i call bluff.

as for your question, maybe find someone on linkedin with the same position as him on the same college and ask? I doubt they'll tell you though.
Yeah they won't and I will not even ask
Glass door and sunshine list are consistent with each other
Sr. Member
Sep 4, 2007
676 posts
158 upvotes
Professors at colleges make a lot of coin. Use the link below, it's all public info, down to the school, position and name.
Seneca profs are making 101k, I'm not sure what a automation technician is but 75k isn't far fetched when you look at it relatively.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/public-sect ... -employees
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1085 posts
81 upvotes
East York, ON
LyGuy wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 11:05 am
Professors at colleges make a lot of coin. Use the link below, it's all public info, down to the school, position and name.
Seneca profs are making 101k, I'm not sure what a automation technician is but 75k isn't far fetched when you look at it relatively.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/public-sect ... -employees
. Yes Sunshine list has a website dedicated for this
Not sure that I am getting your point. Is 75K too close or too far from the professors' salaries?
If you ask me his manager should make around 85K, 90K and the people reporting to him are building operators and others at the same paygrade.
Sr. Member
Sep 4, 2007
676 posts
158 upvotes
I still don't know what that means...whats a building operator? lol
Member
Dec 15, 2015
331 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
CuriousC wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 10:42 am
Hi guys

Someone that I know has been bragging about his job, more exactly about his salary and I think he is laying big time.
He is telling me that, at one of the GTA Colleges (S....a) a building automation technician makes around 75K now and then in three years he can raise to 85K
I find it kind of hard to believe for two reasons:
-Glassdor.ca shows manager salaries in that range
-Sunshine list shows professors at around 100K (above)

Is there anyway I can check this and call out his BS ?

Note:in general I don't give a damn shit about how much money others make if I don't pay them myself :-)) but he managed to get on my nerves with his bragging (well it started when I realized he was laying about his wife's salary -above 100K he said, at a Toronto hospital but I just checked and she is not on the sunshine list; this was when I realized that he counts as salary every perk his wife is getting which is bullshit because some things can't be converted to cash and you can't trade them or anything ....ex training)
LOL Who cares. And you're obviously insecure about something. Did this friend go to college while you wasted time and money at university? There's obviously a reason this bugs you. What if he's not lying, then what?

Depending on your friends background 75k isn't unreasonable. What's the background, CET, trades, tickets?

For me when I hear my friends are doing well I get happy for them and support them, not get miserable and conclude they are lying. Let me guess life has just been a big pissing and dick measuring contest with this friend.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1085 posts
81 upvotes
East York, ON
TheMaterial wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 1:27 pm
LOL Who cares. And you're obviously insecure about something. Did this friend go to college while you wasted time and money at university? There's obviously a reason this bugs you. What if he's not lying, then what?

Depending on your friends background 75k isn't unreasonable. What's the background, CET, trades, tickets?

For me when I hear my friends are doing well I get happy for them and support them, not get miserable and conclude they are lying. Let me guess life has just been a big pissing and dick measuring contest with this friend.
yes I am insecure in the sense that I don't know when he is telling the truth when we speak. Otherwise why would I be ?
I must also say that I trusted him in many respects for a long time, no blind trust but I never bothered to challenge what he was saying, only recently I realized that he might do certain things only to show that his is bigger :- ) no matter what that is.

well you are right, he is trying to compete, I am just having fun
One thing is true, I can't stand when people want me to believe that they are what they are not.
If I manage to prove my point is mostly for me, to make sure I am not suspecting him without reason. I already determined he was laying or exaggerating with his wife's salary.

Your user name seems familiar to me, have we met in other threads ? :-) If yes then go away :-)
Update: oh yes we met...well good bye I have no time to argue with you ...you came here to settle a score ...and to prove a point ...hence the contrarian opinion and the lack of common sense.
Member
Dec 15, 2015
331 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
CuriousC wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 2:28 pm
well you are right, he is trying to compete, I am just having fun
One thing is true, I can't stand when people what me to believe that they are what they are not.
If I manage to prove my point is mostly for me, to make sure I am not suspecting him without reason. I already determined he was laying or exaggerating with his wife's salary.

Your user name seems familiar to me, have we met in other threads ? :-) If yes then go away :-)
Update: oh yes we met...well good bye I have no time to argue with you ...you came here to settle a score ...and to prove a point ...hence the contrarian opinion and the lack of common sense.
So its for personal pride, cool. And who cares what someone else tells you, have enough self worth to not that stuff bother you. My best friend makes triple what I make (with less education), i could care less, in reality my life is better as I save more and have more personal time. I'm really just trying to wrap my head around what gain you will get by being right. You managed to come to the internet to find out why, so this musk irk you a lot. Its quite funny for me actually. At the end of the day how does someone else's salary in an unrelated field have ANY bearing on my life, guess what it doesn't. My advice would be just let it go, who cares what they are trying to portray. Get new friends if you can't trust them and that means something to you.

And settle a personal score? Nope I could care less about another thread or what was said, I don't keep a personal list of people that bugged me on the internet bahaha. I'm a big boy and move on 2 seconds after hitting send. You obviously get caught up on the little things. I don't remember you nor a previous thread lmao so have fun with being pissed at a stranger on the internet. Bye for now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1085 posts
81 upvotes
East York, ON
TheMaterial wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 2:47 pm
So its for personal pride, cool. And who cares what someone else tells you, have enough self worth to not that stuff bother you. My best friend makes triple what I make (with less education), i could care less, in reality my life is better as I save more and have more personal time. I'm really just trying to wrap my head around what gain you will get by being right. You managed to come to the internet to find out why, so this musk irk you a lot. Its quite funny for me actually. At the end of the day how does someone else's salary in an unrelated field have ANY bearing on my life, guess what it doesn't. My advice would be just let it go, who cares what they are trying to portray. Get new friends if you can't trust them and that means something to you.

And settle a personal score? Nope I could care less about another thread or what was said, I don't keep a personal list of people that bugged me on the internet bahaha. I'm a big boy and move on 2 seconds after hitting send. You obviously get caught up on the little things. I don't remember you nor a previous thread lmao so have fun with being pissed at a stranger on the internet. Bye for now.
You are actually a liar.
You hinted twice the education thing which was never an issue that I brought up and has no relevance
Get lost please
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 3, 2009
5136 posts
651 upvotes
Toronto
Did he tell you this in the bar? If so did he buy the drinks? Besides that, 75-85k isn't anything to brag about...unless he's a new graduate I guess.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Member
Dec 15, 2015
331 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
CuriousC wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 4:06 pm
You are actually a liar.
You hinted twice the education thing which was never an issue that I brought up and has no relevance
Get lost please
What am I lying about? Enlighten me.

And you never once say what his background is...I'm just trying to figure it out. Because if your friend is a CET or holds some sort of ticket they can easily be in the 75k range. You also don't list experience nor how long said friend has been employed in the industry or Seneca for that matter and all that will play a role. You give just enough information to pull a random guess out of the air, but won't actually provide facts that will let people actually help you.

I see as you have two options:
1) Let it go, because it really doesn't matter
2) Confront your friend and compare T4's so you can gain absolutely nothing other than proving a point to yourself.

So because you give next to no information, I am going to assume your friend is 45, been in the industry for years and really good at what they do, yes they can easily earn 75k, and would be on the lower end. Considering some janitors are on the sunshine list a seasoned tech could be as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1085 posts
81 upvotes
East York, ON
So to recap, I was asking how do I check the validity of the info he provided
If you are not able to focus on this question please restrain yourself from posting here.
The speculations that some you you ventured in are so hilarious that arguing with them would be waste of time

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)