• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2018 10:05 am
Dec 11, 2013
289 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
CuriousC wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 10:45 pm
Thanks a lot badmus !!!! You are the man!
Well according with this link https://opseu.org/sites/default/files/f ... or_web.pdf, if we take the highest rate on page 122 a support job does not pay more than $48.74/h
48$x2000=96K !
I doubt that he is the highest pay in the support role
The only band that pays close to 75K now and will pay close to 85K in three years is band K, the second highest band in the Support category
They have to categories, Academic and Support roles.
See here https://opseu.org/information/find-your ... -agreement
So what are you going to do now?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1120 posts
84 upvotes
East York, ON
JFlash20 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 11:12 pm
So what are you going to do now?
From now on I will discount everything he is f...g saying...just that.
Losing trust is the worst thing you can lose in your relationship with a person
Last edited by CuriousC on Jun 14th, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1120 posts
84 upvotes
East York, ON
akademiks wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 11:10 pm

Regardless, you're a loser for caring this much.
I can live with that :-)
Jul 31, 2017
270 posts
69 upvotes
CuriousC wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 10:42 am
Hi guys

Someone that I know has been bragging about his job, more exactly about his salary and I think he is laying big time.
He is telling me that, at one of the GTA Colleges (S....a) a building automation technician makes around 75K now and then in three years he can raise to 85K
I find it kind of hard to believe for two reasons:
-Glassdor.ca shows manager salaries in that range
-Sunshine list shows professors at around 100K (above)

Is there anyway I can check this and call out his BS ?

Note:in general I don't give a damn shit about how much money others make if I don't pay them myself :-)) but he managed to get on my nerves with his bragging (well it started when I realized he was laying about his wife's salary -above 100K he said, at a Toronto hospital but I just checked and she is not on the sunshine list; this was when I realized that he counts as salary every perk his wife is getting which is bullshit because some things can't be converted to cash and you can't trade them or anything ....ex training)

As a unionized employee it isn't unreasonable to believe that he earns that, especially with overtime included.

I am a prof at a GTA college (location doesn't matter really, as the same collective agreement applies to all colleges in the province) and I currently earn $83.769/hr which will rise to $85.46/hr on October 1st (annual increase of 2% as per our collective agreement). At the end of December I will go up another step on the salary scale so will be earning $89.40/hr as of January 1st, and that will go up to $91.19.hr on October 1st 2019 ($95.19/hr if I have enough months teaching over X amount of hours by that time, but that will depend on how much I teach next summer as I might opt for a lighter schedule during the summer).

The preceding paragraph isn't meant to toot my own horn, simply to give examples of how much money people can earn in the colleges. Public sector unionized jobs can be rather lucrative.
Last edited by SkynyrdsInyrds on Jun 14th, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jul 31, 2017
270 posts
69 upvotes
TheMaterial wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 1:27 pm
Did this friend go to college while you wasted time and money at university?

Dafuq? You think university is a waste of time and money? There are a lot of well paying careers that require university. I have multiple degrees (undergraduate and graduate) and my hourly rate is mentioned above. You ain't earning that at a college with only a college diploma (you might get hired to teach in some programs but are placed at a different rank and are paid significantly less than those of ranked as professors who hold degrees).
Dec 15, 2015
436 posts
234 upvotes
Toronto
SkynyrdsInyrds wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 2:08 pm
Dafuq? You think university is a waste of time and money? There are a lot of well paying careers that require university. I have multiple degrees (undergraduate and graduate) and my hourly rate is mentioned above. You ain't earning that at a college with only a college diploma (you might get hired to teach in some programs but are placed at a different rank and are paid significantly less than those of ranked as professors who hold degrees).
No I don't say that at all, I was asking a question, as OP gave little to no information. Jeeze, you'd figure with all the degrees you wouldn't jump to conclusions. Also news flash, colleges employ a lot more people than just teachers/profs, and judging by the job title OP providing they were not a prof....So don't get so defensive next time, and use those degrees to read.
Jul 31, 2017
270 posts
69 upvotes
TheMaterial wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 2:39 pm
No I don't say that at all, I was asking a question, as OP gave little to no information. Jeeze, you'd figure with all the degrees you wouldn't jump to conclusions. Also news flash, colleges employ a lot more people than just teachers/profs, and judging by the job title OP providing they were not a prof....So don't get so defensive next time, and use those degrees to read.

By stating "Did this friend go to college while you wasted time and money at university?" you were clearly insinuating that university was a waste of time and money.

And I know damned well that the person in question was not a prof, I simply stated pay rates to demonstrate how high they can be and that, therefore, the salary claimed was not at all unreasonable.

Perhaps if you had read my post properly you would have understood all of that, but apparently that was too much for you.
Dec 15, 2015
436 posts
234 upvotes
Toronto
SkynyrdsInyrds wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 2:50 pm
By stating "Did this friend go to college while you wasted time and money at university?" you were clearly insinuating that university was a waste of time and money.

And I know damned well that the person in question was not a prof, I simply stated pay rates to demonstrate how high they can be and that, therefore, the salary claimed was not at all unreasonable.

Perhaps if you had read my post properly you would have understood all of that, but apparently that was too much for you.
Lol sure whatever you say. If you read the whole statement you would know it only refers to the situation of finding why OP is so peaved. It was also a question directed to the OP to find out why they're irked. Not a general statement towards university grads. So settle down there big shot. People are wayyyyyy to sensitive about the university vs college topic.

You simply gave pay rates that are not relevant to the actual job. If OP's friend was a prof your values would be useful, but you are comparing two completely different jobs at one work place, not helpful. OP's question was answered with the collective bargaining agreement displayed. It was already confirmed a tech can be in that range and likely underpaid depending on tickets and certs.

You simply came in to say a professor at a college can make what we already knew from the posted sunshine list and posted collective bargaining agreement. OP even listed the page to check out for the wages . Maybe a little more reading for you too champ.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1120 posts
84 upvotes
East York, ON
SkynyrdsInyrds wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 2:04 pm
As a unionized employee it isn't unreasonable to believe that he earns that, especially with overtime included.

I am a prof at a GTA college (location doesn't matter really, as the same collective agreement applies to all colleges in the province) and I currently earn $83.769/hr which will rise to $85.46/hr on October 1st (annual increase of 2% as per our collective agreement). At the end of December I will go up another step on the salary scale so will be earning $89.40/hr as of January 1st, and that will go up to $91.19.hr on October 1st 2019 ($95.19/hr if I have enough months teaching over X amount of hours by that time, but that will depend on how much I teach next summer as I might opt for a lighter schedule during the summer).

The preceding paragraph isn't meant to toot my own horn, simply to give examples of how much money people can earn in the colleges. Public sector unionized jobs can be rather lucrative.
What position what band pays that ?
None of the ones quoted in my link pays that money. You must be in the Academic side which is fine
Otherwise your position and pay rate does not fit into that grid
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1120 posts
84 upvotes
East York, ON
TheMaterial wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 3:31 pm
Lol sure whatever you say. If you read the whole statement you would know it only refers to the situation of finding why OP is so peaved. It was also a question directed to the OP to find out why they're irked. Not a general statement towards university grads. So settle down there big shot. People are wayyyyyy to sensitive about the university vs college topic.

You simply gave pay rates that are not relevant to the actual job. If OP's friend was a prof your values would be useful, but you are comparing two completely different jobs at one work place, not helpful. OP's question was answered with the collective bargaining agreement displayed. It was already confirmed a tech can be in that range and likely underpaid depending on tickets and certs.

You simply came in to say a professor at a college can make what we already knew from the posted sunshine list and posted collective bargaining agreement. OP even listed the page to check out for the wages . Maybe a little more reading for you too champ.
I think I made it clear that as per that table he can't earn that money. Period.
If he makes that money his manager does not fit into that grid
The highest pay bands are indeed for jobs like IT and managers or jobs that require university degree; his does not.
As far as my investment in studies goes, to set you at rest I must tell you that I am not impressed with what a proffesor makes in a college position. What he forgets to say it that a good chunk of money goes to taxes :-)) I guess now you know where I am comming from and why I don't feel unsecure in regards to my guy's salary
Jul 31, 2017
270 posts
69 upvotes
CuriousC wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 7:44 pm
What position what band pays that ?
None of the ones quoted in my link pays that money. You must be in the Academic side which is fine
Otherwise your position and pay rate does not fit into that grid

Read my post - I am a prof. I posted those rates to demonstrate that pay in the colleges can be high.
Jul 31, 2017
270 posts
69 upvotes
TheMaterial wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 3:31 pm
Are you thick or something?

I posted those pay rates to demonstrate how high the pay can be in colleges. Yes, those are for a different position but they are indicative of how high the pay can be in colleges. I know administrators making over $100K per year, a salary they would never earn in the private sector for a similar job. Pay rates in colleges (unionized public sector workers) are higher than what one would expect.
Aug 16, 2008
858 posts
184 upvotes
Markham
As men, its inevitable that we're competitive among our closest friends.

There are many ways to skin a cat in either the public or private sector. That being said, as an outsider looking in, I feel that there is so much opaqueness and red tape that whatever you would theorize someone in the public sector with a specific set of skills would earn, will not end up being what he makes - whether its deserved or not.

so OP, seems like your friend got lucky, and you are not.
Dec 11, 2013
289 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
SkynyrdsInyrds wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 11:26 am
Read my post - I am a prof. I posted those rates to demonstrate that pay in the colleges can be high.
I agree, that's what I took from it as well.