Home & Garden

How do I file a compaint against Enbridge?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2011 9:06 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 25, 2007
39 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

How do I file a compaint against Enbridge?

We were late by 2 weeks on our July billing and they disconnected our gas line. Now they want to charge us $80 for a reconnection fee and $250 for a security deposit.

I tried to file a complaint with the Ontario Energy board and they told me late payment policy is not regulated and this matter is not in their jusridiction.

This is our first late payment in over 4 years and I am angry that they can do this and there's nothing I can do about it. My bill was $290 and I did not get any notice.

Sorry for the rant, has anyone had similar experience with Enbridge? Wish there was alternate company I could just move my business to. What ever happend to consumer protection act? Even Rogers would not disconnect my service, at least I could understand a resonable late fee.
16 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1957 upvotes
Two weeks late??? There must be something more going on. Were you given any warning of the disconnection?

I found this article from Ellen Roseman about people getting their gas cut off in error. Apparently your call is supposed to be transferred to their ombudsman's office. Call and ask for the ombudsman's office and if you aren't successfully, contact Ellen Roseman at the Toronto Star.
[OP]
Feb 25, 2007
39 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Thanks for the advice. I'll definately contact them about this incident. It's so upsetting how Enbridge could to his.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2422 posts
302 upvotes
+1. Something similar happened to me...contacted the ombudsman and the issue was quickly resolved.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
5944 posts
946 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm also surprised that they would cut off the service rather then charge you interest. They make money on interest and unsatisfied customers when the shut off the gas.

This is none on my business and don't want a reply but it is possible there is a problem with your credit rating and I don't mean to offend. Either way, they still shouldn't have shut off the gas unless you were notified in advance and given time to act.
[OP]
Feb 25, 2007
39 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
yyz2hkg, did you have an issue with Enbridge and did ombudsman clear it for you? I had no luck with ombudsman. A lady answered my call and said that they don't file investigation with private sector companies.

Also, I have no or ever had credit issues so Enbridge can't use that against me. My wife spoke to their billing department and did pre-authorized payment with them. I'm going to call later and make a plea with their service manager that this is not fair business practice.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1957 upvotes
jakeman wrote:
Aug 18th, 2010 1:21 pm
yyz2hkg, did you have an issue with Enbridge and did ombudsman clear it for you? I had no luck with ombudsman. A lady answered my call and said that they don't file investigation with private sector companies.

Also, I have no or ever had credit issues so Enbridge can't use that against me. My wife spoke to their billing department and did pre-authorized payment with them. I'm going to call later and make a plea with their service manager that this is not fair business practice.
When I said call the ombudsman's office, I was referring to Enbridge's own ombudsman and not the provincial ombudsman. The provincial ombudsman only deals with government. Call Enbridge and ask to speak to their ombudsman.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1957 upvotes
Here is the info on Enbridge's Ombudsman:

Debbie Boukydis, Customer Ombudsman
P.O. Box 650
Scarborough, Ontario
M1K 5E3

Email : ombudsman@enbridge.com
Telephone: 416-495-6155
Toll Free: 1-866-817-6836
Fax: 416-495-5021

This was taken from Enbridge's Customer Assistance web page found here. See the web page for more info.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2422 posts
302 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote:
Aug 18th, 2010 1:30 pm
When I said call the ombudsman's office, I was referring to Enbridge's own ombudsman and not the provincial ombudsman. The provincial ombudsman only deals with government. Call Enbridge and ask to speak to their ombudsman.
+1. Someone called me within a few hours and it was cleared and confirmed in a business day.
Mar 7, 2009
780 posts
11 upvotes
Something odd happened. I often let my bill go a month or two as I use very little gas and my bill is very low. They send many notices before they cut it off.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2002
2101 posts
28 upvotes
I think God, Allah and the FSM work for Enbridge. You might be better off picking a fight with Iran.
[OP]
Feb 25, 2007
39 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Thanks all for the input. I found out it was partially my fault. When we moved, a new account was setup. My wife continued paying the bills via on-line to the old account. I think we were just so wrapped up on the move that I had forgotten what the csr told me.

They reversed the security depot chg but unwilling to change the re-connection fee. I asked to speak to the service manager regarding this but will have to wait 48 hours for an response. Funny, we did the same thing with powerstream but we got an statement saying we had paid to the wrong account. My wife spoke to Powerstream and they cleared matters up very quickly.

The lady I spoke to at Enbridge told me that they have too many accounts to keep track of over payments on de-activated accounts. Well I said how come power stream caught it and your company didn't? I'm just gonna dispute that they got the money, it's not like we did not pay. Just wished the statements showed that there were charges in arrears, we might have caught the issue earlier and actioned on it quicker. Even Rogers, when there were grey areas in billing, would reverse it to retain customers satisfaction. With Enbridge, they are leveraging that they are the only gas company to push customers around. 15-25 mins every single time calling them, wow!

If things don't work out, I'll give ombudsman a try.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
jakeman wrote:
Aug 20th, 2010 8:09 am
Thanks all for the input. I found out it was partially my fault. When we moved, a new account was setup. My wife continued paying the bills via on-line to the old account. I think we were just so wrapped up on the move that I had forgotten what the csr told me.

They reversed the security depot chg but unwilling to change the re-connection fee. I asked to speak to the service manager regarding this but will have to wait 48 hours for an response. Funny, we did the same thing with powerstream but we got an statement saying we had paid to the wrong account. My wife spoke to Powerstream and they cleared matters up very quickly.

The lady I spoke to at Enbridge told me that they have too many accounts to keep track of over payments on de-activated accounts. Well I said how come power stream caught it and your company didn't? I'm just gonna dispute that they got the money, it's not like we did not pay. Just wished the statements showed that there were charges in arrears, we might have caught the issue earlier and actioned on it quicker. Even Rogers, when there were grey areas in billing, would reverse it to retain customers satisfaction. With Enbridge, they are leveraging that they are the only gas company to push customers around. 15-25 mins every single time calling them, wow!

If things don't work out, I'll give ombudsman a try.
At least you got that clear out. As you said, you paid in the wrong account. You can't really compare why one company can and another company can't. It is like to ask John why you are not as smart as Peter. Obviously, for whatever reason, one does a better job than the others.

However, Enbridge is hardly that bad. Try Bell. Also, some credit card company. My colleague pay the credit card bill to a wrong CC account which was closed. That CC refused to pay it back. It took months to get that resolved and Scotiabank (where the bill payment was done) was also in the mix to help my colleague to recover the money. That still took forever.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1957 upvotes
gman wrote:
Aug 20th, 2010 2:54 pm
However, Enbridge is hardly that bad. Try Bell. Also, some credit card company. My colleague pay the credit card bill to a wrong CC account which was closed. That CC refused to pay it back. It took months to get that resolved and Scotiabank (where the bill payment was done) was also in the mix to help my colleague to recover the money. That still took forever.
Wow. I paid the wrong Mastercard once. It was a Sears MC that I never used. They sent me a statement right away showing the overpayment which alerted me to the mistake. I called them up and they issued a cheque for the full amount.

Enbridge should have realized that payments were going to a closed account and investigated it. Why didn't the OP receive disconnect notices? I would still pursue this. If the OP knew there was a problem, he could have taken to steps to avoid the disconnection.
× < >