Personal Finance

How do I file income tax from 5 years ago?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2011 7:48 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 9, 2008
372 posts
89 upvotes
Bby

How do I file income tax from 5 years ago?

I was going through some old records last night and realized that I did not file my income tax in 2006. I was a full time university student with a part time job so I'm sure I'll get some money back. How do I go about filing this? Is it too late? I do not have a t4 or the form from the university

Thanks for any info
9 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
1531 posts
289 upvotes
Edmonton
Download Studio Tax from 2005. You can request your T4 and other forms from CRA, I believe, or you can request them from the originating sources again.

Clint
Apr 25, 2008
148 posts
4 upvotes
The forms are available here: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/formspubs/t1gn ... s-eng.html

You may be able to use some software like ufile to file older tax forms - not sure. If not get your paper and pen and start filling it out with your t4's and all other required documents.

if you dont have a t4 you should contact the people you worked for. your school should have a record of your tuition form (i think its a t2202a) - i know dalhousie let you access them online.

Basically, any forms you dont have you should contact the people you should have gottem them from (rrsp from financial institution, t5 from banks for interest etc).

not sure about timeframe to get a refund - its either 3 years or 7 years - i dont remember. past that they wont grant a refund....however if you owe them money they can go back as far as they want.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1648 posts
209 upvotes
Is anyone sure how far back you can get refunds?
Jun 27, 2005
965 posts
103 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I've read up to 10 years prior.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8556 posts
584 upvotes
GTA
I keep telling my friend who makes very minimal income and never files taxes (sure her job deducts a lot more than is required) that she should file her taxes and get her money back. So annoying that she doesn't do it and I even offered to do it for her using Studiotax.... Anyway, that is a side rant.... I am curious though if you can get your T4s directly from CRA, I think part of the reason she isn't doing it is that she doesn't want to ask her employer for her T4s.
[OP]
Apr 9, 2008
372 posts
89 upvotes
Bby
The cra site seems to indicate 10 yrs, but im not sure if that applies to all cases. I'm going to call them after work today and see if I can get my T4. I'll also ask how far back one can claim and post it here for future reference

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction everyone!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1648 posts
209 upvotes
I called them earlier today and they said they could mail me back my past t4s. I don't know how far they can go back, but at least until 2005. You have to provide some past tax return information for verification if you have changed your address since your last return. I didn't ask them how far back you can get refunds though. I also wonder how far back you can get GST credits.
[OP]
Apr 9, 2008
372 posts
89 upvotes
Bby
I just got off the phone with them. My address has changed and the agent was being a real hard ass about verifying my identity (please read me the value on line X of sheet xxx of your 2009 return) I didnt have that on hand so I called back and the next guy asked really easy questions (were you employed in 2009 and by whom, how did you file your taxes, did you get money or pay money)

It was less than a 2 minute call, and CRA is sending me the T4 forms from 2005 and 2006, the years I did not file my taxes. The agent verified that you can file up to 10 years back from the current tax year. So 2001 is as far back as you can go.
× < >