Careers

How do I find out my previous employment history?

• Last Updated:
  • May 10th, 2010 3:03 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2007
1647 posts
20 upvotes

How do I find out my previous employment history?

How do I find out my previous work history?

With detailed information

In the last ten years i had lots of part time jobs and a couple full time jobs.

I need detailed information like date hired/left...
12 replies
Feb 28, 2009
288 posts
7 upvotes
instapump wrote:
May 6th, 2010 9:15 pm

lol...Where pitz be at?
Jun 4, 2005
387 posts
15 upvotes
previous... like in another life? if not try your memory :/ maybe I'm missing something here
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2005
1584 posts
66 upvotes
instapump wrote:

If I were trying to find out details of my previous work history I would interview my friends & family to inquire about their knowledge of my work history.

Any jobs I kept secret from my loved ones would be more difficult. I would look at things like:
- the transaction history of my bank account for payroll deposits
- past tax returns
- any paperwork I saved
- search my personal computer for any files that might be work-related and use it as clues as to previous employment
- If I was on facebook/etc and ever talked about my employment

that should give you a start. If you find anything you think might be clues about where you have worked but are unsure as to what they mean, post them here and maybe we can help.
Mar 21, 2006
426 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga
You could get your T4's from CRA... But they don't have exact dates of when you were hired and left. Also try Service Canada for any ROE's on file.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
12907 posts
1107 upvotes
It's like trying to remember the names of all the girls you've slept with.. Sometimes you just can't.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7041 posts
673 upvotes
GTA
If you don't know the information yourself, to get the exact date hired/left you'll probably have to call all the companies you worked for and see if they will give you the info from their files. However, I can't remember how long employer's are legally obligated to keep your employee records, but it is less than 10 years so even the employers may no longer have all that info. I think they are required to keep that info for 3 years after you last worked there although some may keep it longer.
Dec 12, 2009
64 posts
Ontario
If I could not remember what I had done in the past ten years I would see a physician to discuss possible neurological problems, or you may have some psychological problem. Usually, people can remember their lives, including where they have worked and what they have done. Perhaps you have been blackout drunk for years on end or something.
Sep 28, 2009
439 posts
2 upvotes
ovos
grizzled wrote:
May 8th, 2010 7:25 pm
If I could not remember what I had done in the past ten years I would see a physician to discuss possible neurological problems, or you may have some psychological problem. Usually, people can remember their lives, including where they have worked and what they have done. Perhaps you have been blackout drunk for years on end or something.

rofl @ this poster.
Acura TSX

Rotman School of Management
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1131 posts
108 upvotes
Guys, I can't find the remote to my old TV.

If the OP is honest...which he sounds like he is.
Then this thread is a fail.

You honestly cannot remember your work history?

Seriously?

Do you remember your middle name? The first girl (or guy) you kissed?
Apr 29, 2010
22 posts
toronto
instapump wrote:

In the last ten years i had lots of part time jobs and a couple full time jobs.

I need detailed information like date hired/left...
IMO, I think employers may view it negatively if someone has two pages of experience - it may indicate someone that is unreliable and hops from job to job.

I would altogether omit the jobs you can't remember and just concentrate on the ones that you do recall (particularly the full time ones). That way at least you could answer any questions for these past positions as best as possible.
× < >