• Apr 25th, 2017 9:49 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1600 posts
257 upvotes

How do I fix this?

Hey guys,

So last year before winter, I decided to chop off a tree that was in front of my front porch. Now I would like to know what's the best way to repair this area. Also, some tips on how I can remove the big roots would be great.

Should I seed this area? Or do I need to put down new sod? I kno putting new sod will look different than my current grass.
Images
  • IMG_9651.JPG
  • IMG_9652.JPG
  • IMG_9653.JPG
  • IMG_9654.JPG
7 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Well, you need to start by removing the roots.
How to remove the roots? Sorry, but no other way but to dig them out then, add soil to fill the void.
What to do after the area is filled and prepped is up to you. Seed? Sure. Sod? Sure. Plants? Sure.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Mar 19, 2013
728 posts
228 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
You can try to dig out the roots. People have had success with burning them out using charcoal briquettes. Whether you seed or sod, I would think the new grass will eventually blend in.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1632 posts
955 upvotes
TORONTO
Was it a tree or a bush? If its a bush get some shovels and get a digging. If it was a medium sized tree (looks like a bush to me) you might be able to dig it out. Get a new/good shovel... I broke an older shovel a couple weeks ago digging up a cedar tree.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1600 posts
257 upvotes
akswun wrote: Was it a tree or a bush? If its a bush get some shovels and get a digging. If it was a medium sized tree (looks like a bush to me) you might be able to dig it out. Get a new/good shovel... I broke an older shovel a couple weeks ago digging up a cedar tree.
It the same type as you see in the picture used as the border between the two property.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1632 posts
955 upvotes
TORONTO
Boxwoods... Those are pretty easy to dig out... should have dug them out before and transplanted them in the backyard. Anyway, pretty easy job to remove those roots. You're going to need some soil to fill in the holes. But for the rest of it, you could sod or you could overseed. I would suggest overseeding and even filling in the areas where you do have grass. Over seed and add topsoil.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1600 posts
257 upvotes
akswun wrote: Boxwoods... Those are pretty easy to dig out... should have dug them out before and transplanted them in the backyard. Anyway, pretty easy job to remove those roots. You're going to need some soil to fill in the holes. But for the rest of it, you could sod or you could overseed. I would suggest overseeding and even filling in the areas where you do have grass. Over seed and add topsoil.
When you say over seed, what to you mean by that? Like buy a bag of seed and dump it all over the area and cover it with top soil? How much seed should I be putting? So much that you CSNT see the earth and cover the area with seed?
Mar 19, 2013
728 posts
228 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
snipe2014 wrote: When you say over seed, what to you mean by that? Like buy a bag of seed and dump it all over the area and cover it with top soil? How much seed should I be putting? So much that you CSNT see the earth and cover the area with seed?
When I seed/overseeed, l look at the application rate on the bag, then I generously bump that rate up. One will not achieve 100% germination rate. No such thing as having too much grass, been guilty in the past of not enough seed. Spread not dump.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)