Home & Garden

How do I get grease stains off of Wood Deck?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2010 12:55 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
2520 posts
84 upvotes

How do I get grease stains off of Wood Deck?

The area under my BBQ is full of grease stains from the BBQ grease trap overflowing.

I tried a pressure washer and it could not remove the stains, all it did was splinter the wood.

Any ideas how I can remove this stain?
7 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14318 posts
91 upvotes
Mississauga
Try PolyStrippa.

and get a grease cup for your bbq.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
2520 posts
84 upvotes
Thanks, Ill go down to my local Home Depot to ask for it.

Now, is this stuff going to get that spot so clean that I'll end up having to do my whole deck with it?

Oh and my Weber has a grease tray, it was pure neglect on my part.

mlc2000 wrote:Try PolyStrippa.

and get a grease cup for your bbq.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14318 posts
91 upvotes
Mississauga
How big is the spot?

Chances are people will see the grease spots and say to themselves..."thank Gawd I'm not the only one that happens to.

Frankly I'd be concerned about bbq grease on a carpet, but on wood? relax. its just a deck.

Rockstead wrote:Thanks, Ill go down to my local Home Depot to ask for it.

Now, is this stuff going to get that spot so clean that I'll end up having to do my whole deck with it?

Oh and my Weber has a grease tray, it was pure neglect on my part.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
2520 posts
84 upvotes
If it were a small spot I wouldn't care, but the grease mixed with the rain and spread over a very large area.

mlc2000 wrote:How big is the spot?

Chances are people will see the grease spots and say to themselves..."thank Gawd I'm not the only one that happens to.

Frankly I'd be concerned about bbq grease on a carpet, but on wood? relax. its just a deck.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2003
1358 posts
13 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If the polystrippa doesn't work, try a commercial strength degreaser - check HD or RONA contractor sections.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1072 posts
142 upvotes
Markham
I had to restain my deck this year and suffered the same thing. I sanded with 180 grit and used a deck washer and all the spots from the BBQ were gone.
Feb 5, 2010
1 posts
Western Canada
I used a Cascade dishwasher "puck". The deck was stained, and the spaces between the wood planks allowed the water to fall\flow under the deck and I didn't have to clean it up after. (Although I haven't tried it, if cement had the grease on it and nowhere for the water to drain, I would clean it as described here, and, use a wet-dry vacuum to suck up the dirty water).

I poured hot water on the spot about 6 times to warm it up. (I would be careful next time in case the paint on the deck peels off from it being too hot).

Then I filled the bucket again with about 1 gallon of hot water and dissolved a "puck" of cascade dishwasher cleaner in it and poured the mix onto the grease and scrubbed it with a brush. I did this about 4 times. It removed the grease.

I deduced that dishwasher soap is designed to cut through food type grease, (which is what BBQ grease is) thus the water has to be hot like in the dishwasher to allow the soap to work.
× < >