Entrepreneurship & Small Business

How do I get out of my debit machine lease with First Data?

Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7333 posts
4235 upvotes
Edmonton
Poppwl wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 9:54 am
OP, can't really comment with such vague information.
The OP made his post 7 years ago... Hopefully they've resolved the situation by now.

C
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1145 posts
150 upvotes
Markham, ON
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 10:11 am
The OP made his post 7 years ago... Hopefully they've resolved the situation by now.

C
I guess the terminal may be people's cell phone nowadays?

Isn't the OP glad the term of the lease is over. I wonder if the OP continued to make payment to reach that $3,000.
Feb 18, 2014
196 posts
30 upvotes
BonnieB225724 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 1:24 am
I am stuck in a lease with First Data that has cost my small business a lot of money (well, it's a lot for us). We were signed up for their service unknowingly through our bank who set us up with merchant services. We have already shipped back the terminal but they continue billing us monthly for our lease for a service we don't use and a terminal we can't have. We have in writing from the bank that they would take care of it and "unwind" the lease for us but no one has done anything and we keep getting the run around. At this point, my business partner has just resigned to just paying the fee as it's easier than spending HOURS trying to fix it. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. What a horrible company, very disappointed.
The leasing company would have been First Data Global Leasing (FDGL). Was the payment processing also through First Data? If yes, was it directly through them or through a reseller?
Jan 29, 2018
2 posts
The charge shows up directly through First Data but everything was setup through the bank. They have a merchant services rep who set it all up. She told us she would get us out of it, had us give back the machine and them deferred to First Data for that portion of the agreement that we didn't even know about.
Mar 25, 2018
1 posts
Hi, could you give me some advice on my case:

- I signed the card processing service contract with Canada retail payment group, but the machine lease agreement is under First data. I already cancelled the service after 3 months use because of their vague service and overcharging, then they keep sending collection letter to collect the balance of remain 57 months. Now they said they are preparing legal action and report to Canada credit Bureau if I don't pay in 10 days.

- their mistakes were: did not provide me the monthly statements, charge some amount that were not mentioned in the agreement, and they adjusted some information in the agreement without my consent (add my full name next to company name which they said they could do the because my company is some proprietorship and my personal guarantee, add bank account number...)

So, In this case, should I pay them? Will they report to credit Bureau? Do i have a chance to plead I'm innocient after they report by providing the evidence of their faults?

Thanks a lot for your time
Jun 10, 2018
1 posts
I would love some info on how to deal with these people. I was put into another contract with time payment and first data to the time of a ton of money thousands. I began to get in touch with smart choice payments/velocity who are crooks. My bank disputed and cancelled all transactions the second time they ran them and now they are all threatening to ruin my credit and sue me personally. We tried equipment for 2 weeks but it did not work for us plus they were trying to process 4% fees they the back door because Florida has laws against this. I do have an atty working on this but I am being harassed daily and I’m afraid this will ruin my credit. Any info I can get to help would be great.
Jun 26, 2018
1 posts
At my company, we recently saw we were being charged a lease fee every month for a Terminal we never owned. We switched Merchant's Mid December and closed our First Data account.

We asked to where we would return the equipment and were told they would pick the terminal up themselves. It seems they RENEWED the lease of the Terminal in Jan. AFTER we closed our account with them and moved to a new Merchant in December. We had to continuously call First Data about picking up the terminal, and it wasn't for a few months that they finally sent a return label. Right now they are stating we would have to pay $3000 to break the lease, but how can you renew a lease on a closed account? That is ridiculous. As of now, they are stating they have yet to even receive the terminal which is bogus...
Jul 16, 2018
1 posts
Hey
I just signed a contract with first data 1 of the agent contact me asking me to signed up with them and he will give me 2 month free trial I signed up with them when I received the terminal it's not that what I want i order 3G terminal
So he send me again 2 terminal so I end up with 3 but i need only 1
When i called the first data costumer service they said there is nothing they can do about it we have a agreement with them if I want to cancel I need to pay $6200 that robbery
Guys if the there is any solution can get out of this company without paying this much money
Do I need to stop the preauthorised from my bank and cancel the contract please help
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17950 posts
1502 upvotes
Niagara Falls
HarchaneA12137 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2018 4:08 pm
Hey
I just signed a contract with first data 1 of the agent contact me asking me to signed up with them and he will give me 2 month free trial I signed up with them when I received the terminal it's not that what I want i order 3G terminal
So he send me again 2 terminal so I end up with 3 but i need only 1
When i called the first data costumer service they said there is nothing they can do about it we have a agreement with them if I want to cancel I need to pay $6200 that robbery
Guys if the there is any solution can get out of this company without paying this much money
Do I need to stop the preauthorised from my bank and cancel the contract please help

Are they trying to charge you 6200 for your additional devices orfkr the one you signed a contract for?
Jul 29, 2018
1 posts
I just signed a contract with first data recently and leased a terminal for 48month. The sales guy also told me that I can return the device within 30 days if I am not satisfied. Well, when I called the customer service to verify it, they said I can cancel my service contract within 45 days, BUT, they don't know if I can cancel the leasing contract. I have to call the other department to get the info I need.

So, I called around and talked to different people and figered it out. basically, when you signed up with first data, you actually signed two different contracts. one for the payment service, one for the terminal lease. You can cancel the first one, but you can't break the second. I don't know how the hell they kept doing this shit for so many years but apparently it's legal. It's like a leasing car, you can't just return it. You can only pay off or transfer to someone else.

As the rate they offered me is lower than the one I currently use, I decide to keep it. I actually don't have a choice. Those sales rep are trained for this, so you would never know the double ontract stuff.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17950 posts
1502 upvotes
Niagara Falls
YueS27832 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2018 3:28 pm
I just signed a contract with first data recently and leased a terminal for 48month. The sales guy also told me that I can return the device within 30 days if I am not satisfied. Well, when I called the customer service to verify it, they said I can cancel my service contract within 45 days, BUT, they don't know if I can cancel the leasing contract. I have to call the other department to get the info I need.

So, I called around and talked to different people and figered it out. basically, when you signed up with first data, you actually signed two different contracts. one for the payment service, one for the terminal lease. You can cancel the first one, but you can't break the second. I don't know how the hell they kept doing this shit for so many years but apparently it's legal. It's like a leasing car, you can't just return it. You can only pay off or transfer to someone else.

As the rate they offered me is lower than the one I currently use, I decide to keep it. I actually don't have a choice. Those sales rep are trained for this, so you would never know the double ontract stuff.
Yeah, they are shaddy as F but I'm sure everything they do is legal.
Feb 18, 2014
196 posts
30 upvotes
YueS27832 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2018 3:28 pm

If you stop / reverse payment before the 1st full payment goes through, the leasing company will charge the lease back to First Data
Nov 8, 2015
2 posts
Lethbridge, AB
Hi
I am also one of the victim of first data. One of my partner signed a lease with them and he is not anymore with us. We used their service for few days but stopped later on, now they are asking to pay $6000 as terminal rental or $68/- month or next 6 years.
Regards
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17950 posts
1502 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Navdeepmasaun wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2018 10:41 pm
Hi
I am also one of the victim of first data. One of my partner signed a lease with them and he is not anymore with us. We used their service for few days but stopped later on, now they are asking to pay $6000 as terminal rental or $68/- month or next 6 years.
Regards
You don't really have a choice unless you find the contract and see if it was in your partners name only. I honestly have no idea how they get away with charging $6000 for a terminal. I can only hope this thread has scared away plenty of potential customers.