Wheels and Tires

How do I know if my car has a TPMS system?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2016 12:15 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2798 posts
1641 upvotes
Scarborough, ON

How do I know if my car has a TPMS system?

nt
This space for rent.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1218 posts
601 upvotes
North of Toronto
TheImp wrote: nt
Check your manual.

Check to see if you have a metal valve on your wheels. This often indicates a tpms system. However, some use rubber valves like Ford/Dodge, etc.

That or start letting air out of your tire was the vehicle is running and see if a light comes on your dash. Usually if you let out 5-8 PSI the light will come on.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2798 posts
1641 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
GhostBusters wrote: Check your manual.
It says " Not available in all markets or in all models." :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
That or start letting air out of your tire was the vehicle is running and see if a light comes on your dash. Usually if you let out 5-8 PSI the light will come on.
But that would mean my tires are underinflated at that point, no?
This space for rent.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1218 posts
601 upvotes
North of Toronto
TheImp wrote: It says " Not available in all markets or in all models." :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

But that would mean my tires are underinflated at that point, no?
Not available in all markets is because all vehicles sold in the USA have to have TPMS as per the law. In Canada it's not the law and some manufacturers leave it out to save costs on cheaper models/trims.

Yeah. Of course one tire will be under pressurized until you figure out if you have it or not.

What do you do when a tire is under the recommended PSI................

You add air or nitrogen :rolleyes:

Fill it to the recommended PSI on the tire placard (usually located on the driver door or driver door frame). Never fill it to what it says on the tire as this will be a max pressure for the tire itself. Not the recommended pressure for the vehicle.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)