[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
1356 posts
164 upvotes
Woodbridge

How do I make an avocado shake?

Hi guys,

does anyone here know how to make those avocado shakes that Vietnamese restaurants (especially Pho places) sells? I spent about $100+ on those in restaurants and have decided to make my own stead. So I buy a blender, some avocados, and sweetened condensed milk. I got the recipe from a website where I put in about a cup of ice cubes (in my case four), 1/4 cup of condensed milk, an avocado, and some sugar, then blend. I did all the above except put in sugar, and when it came out it tasted like cold garbage :o It was raw and bitter. I hear some people use avocado ice cream instead, but I don't know where to get them. If you know how to make a good avocado shake please, share the recipe with me.

14 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1159 posts
18 upvotes
North Vancouver
whatsinaname wrote:Hi guys,

does anyone here know how to make those avocado shakes that Vietnamese restaurants (especially Pho places) sells? I spent about $100+ on those in restaurants and have decided to make my own stead. So I buy a blender, some avocados, and sweetened condensed milk. I got the recipe from a website where I put in about a cup of ice cubes (in my case four), 1/4 cup of condensed milk, an avocado, and some sugar, then blend. I did all the above except put in sugar, and when it came out it tasted like cold garbage :o It was raw and bitter. I hear some people use avocado ice cream instead, but I don't know where to get them. If you know how to make a good avocado shake please, share the recipe with me.

Sounds interesting, I've eaten in a ton of Vietnamese restaurants in GVA and never seen such a beast on the menu - anyone in Vancouver know a place that serves this?
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
1084 posts
3 upvotes
Côte Saint-Luc
this reminds me of the simpsons when Homer was in NY and he was given the choice between Mountain Dew and Crab juice. ....

"eeeeewwwwww...... Mountain dew .... I'll take a crab juice"
Create your own custom Avatar @ AbiStation
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2003
1685 posts
251 upvotes
Vancouver
Mmm, when I was little I used to eat avocado popsicles. The consistency before freezing was pretty much that of a milkshake. The ingredients are pretty simple...just avocado, milk or cream, vanilla, and LOTS of sugar. Maybe you didn't add enough sugar?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
1356 posts
164 upvotes
Woodbridge
i didn't add any sugar, maybe that's the problem.

jumbotron, i've never been to vancouver but i'm sure that most places that sell pho would have avocado shakes. just ask the waitress next time you go to a pho place.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1159 posts
18 upvotes
North Vancouver
whatsinaname wrote:i didn't add any sugar, maybe that's the problem.

jumbotron, i've never been to vancouver but i'm sure that most places that sell pho would have avocado shakes. just ask the waitress next time you go to a pho place.
Yeah, we eat Pho probably once a week - see tons of egg yolk in soda, lime juice n soda, lychees n soda, viet coffee, beans and evaporated milk n ice - then again i've never looked for the Avacodo shake.

I will this week though.
Apr 2, 2004
323 posts
32 upvotes
Did you use a ripe avocado? If it's unripe, it's going to taste bitter.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3080 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
Probably not enough sugar... Went to vietnam in the summer and drank that stuff almost everyday, along with other blended fruits.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2002
6179 posts
327 upvotes
Toronto
Man that thing is the greatest.
I have this almost every other day on spadina.
I think the least expensive place is pho xeluca,others have it for $4-5 but they got it for $2.50

Crushed ice a half ripe,avacado,condensed milk and granulated sugar thats pretty much it but you'll have to experiment with it to get it to your liking.
Sep 11, 2004
305 posts
you should play around with how much stuff you put in
for me 1 whole avacado first in the blender
blend it to break it up to small pieces
add it condense milk depend on how sweet you want it
some hotwater but not too much cause that will really kill the taste but it depend if u want it thicken or watery
blend it up some more and finally add in the ice
and one hecka sexy avacado shakes for YOU :razz:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7918 posts
1137 upvotes
Toronto
As shadowmoon said the avocado should be really ripe. Avocados do not have a strong taste and I am accustomed eating it with food but never had it as a drink. Why not experiment as though you were makng an avocado milkshake so use vanilla ice cream iinstead of condensed milk and add sugar and ice to taste if necessary.

If you wish to not use ice cream use the condensed milk and sugar and avocado but add some water or 2% milk to make it a little more liquid and add ice last after it has turned out how you like it.Be sure to add some vanillla or almond essence to accentuate the weak taste of the avocado. the reason i say to add the ice last is because the mixture probably is not mixing well when ice is used as the source of liquid as there is not enough liquid to dissolve the sugar and condensed milk and then to allow proper fusion with the more dense avocado pulp.
Jan 27, 2003
535 posts
Snow Country, BC
They don't add sugar, it's sugar water. Exactly what Trini said but use sugar water instead of sugar. You better not need instructions for sugar water....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
1356 posts
164 upvotes
Woodbridge
update: i made it! yeah, one the problems was it wasn't ripe. i let it sit for about three days, then cut it, when i cut it i knew it was good because it was all soft, the seed easily came out and the skin was easily peeled off. i first crushed about five cubes of ice, then i added the avocado (which was precut into about five pieces), condensed milk (1/4 cup), about a tablespoon of sugar (last time i didn't add any sugar) and then blend. thanks for the tip guys. now i won't have to spend so much on these, maybe i won't buy any from restaurants anymore.

btw, jumbotron, did you try it yet?
Sep 21, 2004
13 posts
well the stuff taste the same as what i've made at home and it's just avocado, ice, milk & sugar. I think the condensed milk is too sweet and doesn't give the same consistency.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2002
6179 posts
327 upvotes
Toronto
For the Consistency problem use cornstarch and a bit of water it's not sugar water they are adding,dont be fooled by that.
Yes they do add sugar but they help thiicken it with a cornstarch solution.
do they ever face you when they do it?
I did'nt think so.
Anyway enough of giving away secrets for free here.