Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1039 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

How do I read the expiration date??

I have some quaker chewy bars that's been sitting in my drawer for about a year now. I thought I should eat them up since they are just taking up the drawer's space. But before I eat them, I just wanted to make sure that they are not past the expiration date but all I see in the packaging are some weird numbers and letters. I don't know why they had to put that instead of an easier way like MR 30 04. Everyone would know that reads as March 30th, 2004. anyways, the marking on the bars say 0923K32C. Can anyone come up with the expiration date with that numbers and letters?
FS List:

7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2003
4062 posts
24 upvotes
pilmania wrote:I have some quaker chewy bars that's been sitting in my drawer for about a year now. I thought I should eat them up since they are just taking up the drawer's space. But before I eat them, I just wanted to make sure that they are not past the expiration date but all I see in the packaging are some weird numbers and letters. I don't know why they had to put that instead of an easier way like MR 30 04. Everyone would know that reads as March 30th, 2004. anyways, the marking on the bars say 0923K32C. Can anyone come up with the expiration date with that numbers and letters?
Are you sure that's expiration code? Sounds more like the batch ID to me. Maybe the date is printed on the outside of the box instead?
Aug 25, 2004
203 posts
East end Toronto
Eat half of it, wait a few hours, see if you run to the bathroom or not. ;)

And yeah, I think the expiration dates are on the actual box. You can verify by going to your supermarket and check if exp. dates are written on the outside of the box.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4319 posts
63 upvotes
its the julian calender i don't know how to convert that to ours... i dont know why manufacturers use it.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
pilmania wrote:I have some quaker chewy bars that's been sitting in my drawer for about a year now.
http://www.google.ca/search?q=quaker-chewy+best-before leads to http://www.quakerchewy.com/CHW_FAQs/index.cfm, which says :

How long can you keep Quaker Chewy Granola Bars?

The recommended shelf life for Quaker Chewy Granola Bars is 6 months.

Most Quaker products have "Best Before" dates; however, some products carry a code representing the date manufactured rather than a best before date. An example of a manufacturing code is: 4H17A1.

Starting at the left side, the number 4 indicates the year the product was made, that is, 2004. The first letter identifies our producing facility. The next two numbers represent the day of the month, and the last letter signifies the month of the year when January = A, February = B, March = C and so forth. The last numbers or letters represent additional plant information. The manufacturing code referenced above indicates product made January 17, 2004 with a recommended six-month shelf life from that date.

Quaker Chewy bars beyond recommended shelf life are safe to eat. The recommended shelf life indicates a period when a product has optimal flavor and freshness. Product beyond recommended shelf life may experience slight changes in flavor, color or nutritional value. We recommend storing all grain-based products in a clean, cool and dry location.
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
Deal Guru
Mar 30, 2002
12415 posts
1 upvote
31 Spooner St. NIFOC
I'd throw it out if I were you...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1039 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Wow! Thanks a lot Rehan!! Good thing I didn't eat them yet! Gonna throw them out tonite. I'm never buying those 40 packs anymore. I just can't finish them all...
FS List:

Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6287 posts
9 upvotes
Waterloo
Come on, just one bite. ;)

I remember awhile back my mother bought one box of no-name brand joe-louis. I ate a few of them before she bought a box of the official ones. So of course I polished off the good one's first.

So by the time I got back to the no-name they had been sitting there quite awhile. I ate a couple of them, and found them to very chewy and stale. I just figured they were old.

So my brother comes over and takes one. He takes one bite and looks down at it. The thing was just filled with mold.

I spent the next few minutes just hoping that the one he grabbed was the only moldy one, and the 2 chewy one's I ate were just stale. :confused:
× < >