Fashion & Beauty

How do I stop down/feathers from coming out of my Jacket?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2011 10:50 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
1905 posts
148 upvotes

How do I stop down/feathers from coming out of my Jacket?

So, I bought a down jacket from Club Monaco during boxing week. The thing is shedding feathers like crazy. I go over the jacket with a lint roller every few days but even that doesn't remove the down because lots of it is feathers partially sticking out. The exterior of the coat is made of 70% wool and the coat is filled with 70% down and 30% feathers.

What can I do to minimize/prevent the down from coming out?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1903 posts
186 upvotes
Feathers will come out under extreme cold weather conditions (if the jacket is poorly made).

You could try sewing it? Or bring the jacket back to the store for a refund?
Dec 5, 2010
16 posts
Oakville
I've got same problem with Club Monaco wool hooded jacket, looking like a chicken despite regular cleanups.
Finally got it back to the store and got a refund. Store folks said it is defective product, someone 'forgot' to put lining to prevent feathers explosion.
My verdict: good product, bad implementation :) #fail
Deal Fanatic
Sep 26, 2006
5614 posts
1078 upvotes
Toronto
I think in general all down jackets will lose some feathers but too much isn't acceptable I agree.
Aug 16, 2010
718 posts
729 upvotes
Sudbury
world25 wrote: Feathers will come out under extreme cold weather conditions (if the jacket is poorly made).

You could try sewing it? Or bring the jacket back to the store for a refund?
Retards can appear on the forum under extreme cold weather conditions. Beware.
Jan 4, 2006
714 posts
24 upvotes
I think I have the same jacket, is it dark blue color? I dont' have that problem yet, since I haven't had it for too long.
Dec 20, 2010
194 posts
10 upvotes
You stuff a jacket with chicken feathers, you're bound to get leakage, especially if a baffle lining isn't present.

Some of these cheap ass made in China jackets where they use 30-50% chicken feathers are full of all sorts of excrement and other foul things.

As well, the quills of the feathers will eventually disintegrate and turn to powder further adding more crap to fall out of your coat.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
1905 posts
148 upvotes
Yeah, it was a navy blue hooded down jacket that has a wool exterior. I'll see if I can get a refund, but I bought it on boxing day and they said it was final sale. If it's a defect, then it's not acceptable. I was expecting higher quality stuff from Club Monaco. It's a shame, because it's actually a nice jacket. :(
Aug 1, 2009
19 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
I got the same jacket on boxing day, receipt say final sale. So I called the promenade store and they said they can only do an exchange, not even store credit. I actually want a refund so that I can buy another jacket. So if anyone can get a refund (provided that they purchase the jacket on or after Dec 26) please let me know which store is willing to do that. Thanks
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
1905 posts
148 upvotes
Unknown123 wrote: I got the same jacket on boxing day, receipt say final sale. So I called the promenade store and they said they can only do an exchange, not even store credit. I actually want a refund so that I can buy another jacket. So if anyone can get a refund (provided that they purchase the jacket on or after Dec 26) please let me know which store is willing to do that. Thanks

I was able to return my jacket without any problems today at the Eaton Center location. I just told the cashier that I thought something was wrong and that the jacket was losing a LOT of down. I don't even think the cashier looked at the "final sale" which was circled at the bottom of my receipt. :)
Aug 1, 2009
19 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks Banana Weed, will try Eaton Centre this weekend :)
Jul 21, 2008
172 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
DeathRazR wrote: buy a Canada Goose.

canada goose jackets WILL have feathers popping out (in inner layer) eventually... trust me. It's not a lot but it's still there. I think it's cause the feathers wiggle their way out due to all the movement and stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2008
5608 posts
131 upvotes
LostStudent wrote: canada goose jackets WILL have feathers popping out (in inner layer) eventually... trust me. It's not a lot but it's still there. I think it's cause the feathers wiggle their way out due to all the movement and stuff.

Yup. All down jackets have "leakage", just depends how much. I used to have a really cheap down jacket, feathers came out like there's no tomorrow.
Kommander_KornFlakes wrote: I make more than what 95% of people in this site makes.
Try a six-figure salary that starts with a "3" (that would be annually)
Gloaming wrote: Seriously- I TRIED to ignore him. KKF is like herpes, you keep scratching in an attempt to get temporary relief, but two weeks later he comes raging back more annoying and infuriating as ever.
Mar 9, 2008
370 posts
32 upvotes
Vancouver
its pretty normal to have a few feathers poking out here and there. It's the same for my ralph lauren and zara down jackets. But in your case it seems to be quite bad
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
My Eddie has been down "leak" free for the body. There were some leakage on the hood since it had only a fleece material for the lining but not much. I disagree with the idea that all down fill leak, since it seems to depend on construction and material.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted: