Students

How do other universities find out if you have attended university before?

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2011 10:25 am
Tags:
None
Sr. Member
Nov 14, 2010
910 posts
36 upvotes

How do other universities find out if you have attended university before?

I want to apply to other schools (York, UOIT, etc.) without submitting my UofT transcript. My GPA will be far too low to even be considered for a transfer, even though I will be in "good academic standing". The biggest mistake of my life was attending this school, and now I want to transfer out so that I can fix my GPA and be competitive for graduate school, but I won't even have a good enough GPA to transfer out. I feel like I am trapped here with very few options.

If this is not a good idea, what other options do I have to transfer out? Can I apply and submit a request to be placed on academic probation upon transfer? Are there schools that only look at high school marks and not those in university for a first year student?
26 replies
Banned
Jul 8, 2009
4006 posts
122 upvotes
Metagame wrote:
Nov 26th, 2011 10:22 pm
I want to apply to other schools (York, UOIT, etc.) without submitting my UofT transcript. My GPA will be far too low to even be considered for a transfer, even though I will be in "good academic standing". The biggest mistake of my life was attending this school, and now I want to transfer out so that I can fix my GPA and be competitive for graduate school, but I won't even have a good enough GPA to transfer out. I feel like I am trapped here with very few options.

If this is not a good idea, what other options do I have to transfer out? Can I apply and submit a request to be placed on academic probation upon transfer? Are there schools that only look at high school marks and not those in university for a first year student?

Apply to a completely different program that is not what you are in. Ie. if you are in science, apply to first year business. Unless it says specifically that you have to admit if you ever went to university then you are scot free. However, if you lie and are caught, you lose your degree, regardless of when you get caught, so proceed with caution, there is a central university system and if they get suspicious it is easy to check. You'd really need a name change to avoid getting caught at all or go out of province. Also know most grad schools only look at last 2 or best 2 years.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Nov 14, 2010
910 posts
36 upvotes
jungeon wrote:
Nov 26th, 2011 11:09 pm
Apply to a completely different program that is not what you are in. Ie. if you are in science, apply to first year business. Unless it says specifically that you have to admit if you ever went to university then you are scot free. However, if you lie and are caught, you lose your degree, regardless of when you get caught, so proceed with caution, there is a central university system and if they get suspicious it is easy to check. You'd really need a name change to avoid getting caught at all or go out of province. Also know most grad schools only look at last 2 or best 2 years.

What's the point of that? I will lose 2 years, then. Even then, they will still look at my university transcript and throw away my application thereafter. Again, what are the chances of getting caught, though? I don't seem to have any other option at all, because it seems most universities don't care about high school marks once you've attended a post-secondary institution and aren't willing to hear any reason for doing poorly. Also, this place does not seem to get any better at all. I've talked to many junior and senior physics majors, and the majority of them have a GPA < 2.5, some even as low as 1.7.
Banned
Dec 3, 2009
1291 posts
23 upvotes
If you're afraid that your 1st year marks will be a huge stain your undergraduate transcript, I think you're just going to have to get over it. Besides, most graduate type schools place all their emphasis on upper-year credentials. During my undergraduate orientation, the (full-time) professor (at UofT) that welcomed us told us how he flunked courses that he is now a professor for. There are numerous other professors I've met that have told me the horrible grades they've gotten along the way. Even a former TA I had told me he has gotten quite a few low marks, and he is now doing his PhD at Oxford.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Nov 14, 2010
910 posts
36 upvotes
PhilRelgStudent wrote:
Nov 26th, 2011 11:22 pm
If you're afraid that your 1st year marks will be a huge stain your undergraduate transcript, I think you're just going to have to get over it. Besides, most graduate type schools place all their emphasis on upper-year credentials. During my undergraduate orientation, the (full-time) professor (at UofT) that welcomed us told us how he flunked courses that he is now a professor for. There are numerous other professors I've met that have told me the horrible grades they've gotten along the way. Even a former TA I had told me he has gotten quite a few low marks, and he is now doing his PhD at Oxford.

If this was just a first year thing, I would have just stuck it out. But, no. UofT is not like other universities, whereas most other universities stop weeding out in first year (at latest, second year). At UofT, however, they keep grades low for even 4th year physics classes. For third year classes such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetic theory, the class average so far is in the low 30's. Every sophomore, junior, and even senior physics major I've spoken to at UofT has told me that coming to this school was the biggest mistake they have made in their life, and if they could go back in time, they would just go to York or Ryerson.
Banned
Jul 8, 2009
4006 posts
122 upvotes
Metagame wrote:
Nov 26th, 2011 11:34 pm
If this was just a first year thing, I would have just stuck it out. But, no. UofT is not like other universities, whereas most other universities stop weeding out in first year (at latest, second year). At UofT, however, they keep grades low for even 4th year physics classes. For third year classes such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetic theory, the class average so far is in the low 30's. Every sophomore, junior, and even senior physics major I've spoken to at UofT has told me that coming to this school was the biggest mistake they have made in their life, and if they could go back in time, they would just go to York or Ryerson.

I don't think physics is going to be easy anywhere. York is only easy for social sciences because it is geared to comutters and immigrants and people who are low income, it is in jane and finch, so they don't expect you to work that much on school. But if you go to languages, law, business, or physics, you will still get crappy grades.

Why not just transfer programs in uft to some arts, and then get the gpa up to transfer out.
Banned
Jul 8, 2009
4006 posts
122 upvotes
Metagame wrote:
Nov 26th, 2011 11:19 pm
What's the point of that? I will lose 2 years, then. Even then, they will still look at my university transcript and throw away my application thereafter. Again, what are the chances of getting caught, though? I don't seem to have any other option at all, because it seems most universities don't care about high school marks once you've attended a post-secondary institution and aren't willing to hear any reason for doing poorly. Also, this place does not seem to get any better at all. I've talked to many junior and senior physics majors, and the majority of them have a GPA < 2.5, some even as low as 1.7.

When you get caught lying on your application you will lose all 4 years, your degree, you will be ineligible for your grad degree and you can also lose it too, if you go or plan to go to anything like law school you will get disbarred and lose your license.

Again grad programs do not care about cgpa, they are more concerned with your best 2 or last 2 years. Only u of t looks at last/best 3 and you already can't go there anyways. The chances of getting caught are very high because there is a centralized automated application service called to ouac which you applied to university through and if you try to re-apply it will show up that you were accepted and confirmed and paid deposit to u of t. Also even if you change your name, know that it is an indictable offense to use your change name to commit fraud (Which it is in this case) so you could be looking at up to 5 years in prison and you will never get a good job as any decent employer does a background check. When the school you apply to sees that you were accepted and paid a deposit to UFT they will ask you for your transcript to be submitted to them, if you say you never took any courses and dropped out right away (it will be an instant redflag to an admissions officer and he will ask that you submit a letter from the school stating such and he will call their officer personally to follow up).

You're only in first year, basically you're argument is it is worth going to prison for 5 years, never being able to get a job, not being able to immigrate to any other country, be banned for academic misconduct from going to nay ontario university in order to have your first year grades that no one will ever look at for grad school. It is simply the most ******** argument I have ever heard. No grad school cares about 1st year grades, even the US grad schools which normally look at 4 year gpa are willing to ignore bad 1st year grades if the other 2-3 years show an upward trend. whatever, its your life, if you screw it up and go to jail, why do I care, remember son, don't drop the soap :lol:
[OP]
Sr. Member
Nov 14, 2010
910 posts
36 upvotes
jungeon wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 2:04 am
I don't think physics is going to be easy anywhere. York is only easy for social sciences because it is geared to comutters and immigrants and people who are low income, it is in jane and finch, so they don't expect you to work that much on school. But if you go to languages, law, business, or physics, you will still get crappy grades.

Why not just transfer programs in uft to some arts, and then get the gpa up to transfer out.

Is it a coincidence the vast majority of UofT students in the physical sciences, engineering, and math that transfer out end up with a 4.0 at their new school? I've seen past tests for second and third year physics courses at York, and I can honestly say that I can handle several of the questions that have showed up on past tests (mostly those that require single variable or simple vector calculus). First year tests are hilariously easy, as any idiot that knows dimensional analysis can ace the multiple choice portion with relative ease, which is indicative of lax testing standards. At UofT, second and third physics past exam can often be more difficult than questions on the physics GRE.

This isn't only true for York, I've also looked at past tests for physics courses at other universities such as Western, Ottawa, Mcmaster, and Queen's, and the tests are not at the same level at all when compared to UofT. The only school that comes close, from the past tests I've observed, is Waterloo.
Member
May 3, 2008
482 posts
9 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Metagame wrote:
Nov 26th, 2011 10:22 pm
I want to apply to other schools (York, UOIT, etc.) without submitting my UofT transcript. My GPA will be far too low to even be considered for a transfer, even though I will be in "good academic standing". The biggest mistake of my life was attending this school, and now I want to transfer out so that I can fix my GPA and be competitive for graduate school, but I won't even have a good enough GPA to transfer out. I feel like I am trapped here with very few options.

If this is not a good idea, what other options do I have to transfer out? Can I apply and submit a request to be placed on academic probation upon transfer? Are there schools that only look at high school marks and not those in university for a first year student?

I can only speculate, but I would think that OUAC would have a tag line on your record saying "accepted to UofT Engineering" or something to that effect. So if you were to apply with your H.S marks, they would know of your acceptance and surely inquire about it. Now, like I said, I don't know if that's how they find out but I do know that if you apply they will get the scoop.

I don't think you have an option to apply just with your H.S. marks. Best to consult your academic councillor. Good luck!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
496 upvotes
Metagame no offense but you sure do like to whine a lot and talk to lengths on things you know little to nothing about. Have you considered that maybe you just aren't ready for university yet, either because you weren't prepared academically enough by your secondary schooling or because your mentality hasn't matured enough?

If you're worried that your marks are low, stop worrying and obsessing over it. I see you posting on here every couple weeks complaining about your marks. For first year courses for large classes the marks are adjusted significantly. So you really don't know what your marks are going to be yet so you can shut up and stop fortune-telling to come up with some predicted GPA that you calculated that won't even be right anyway.

Some of your complaints about UofT are founded but others you are blowing way out of proportion. If you're having the worst time in your life and can't take it no more even though you put in a decent effort and are still faliing miserably you're probably not ready for university.

If you're worried about not getting a 4.0 GPA because you want to get into med school, maybe then it would be best to switch to another university. Maybe. Keep in mind first year and even sometimes second year marks are not even taken into consideration when applying to graduate school. Like I said, you're getting worked up over nothing. Sounds like a maturity thing.

Anyway I wouldn't suggest pretending that your UofT experience never happened. You're supposed to disclose all post-secondary marks when applying to universities as a transfer student (yes that's you). It's time you grew up and started accepting responsibility for your decisions and actions, you're not a high school student anymore you're in the real world now.

P.S I hope now you understand why they don't let you do double majors in electrical engineering and physics.
Banned
Jul 8, 2009
4006 posts
122 upvotes
Metagame wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 2:50 am
Is it a coincidence the vast majority of UofT students in the physical sciences, engineering, and math that transfer out end up with a 4.0 at their new school? I've seen past tests for second and third year physics courses at York, and I can honestly say that I can handle several of the questions that have showed up on past tests (mostly those that require single variable or simple vector calculus). First year tests are hilariously easy, as any idiot that knows dimensional analysis can ace the multiple choice portion with relative ease, which is indicative of lax testing standards. At UofT, second and third physics past exam can often be more difficult than questions on the physics GRE.

This isn't only true for York, I've also looked at past tests for physics courses at other universities such as Western, Ottawa, Mcmaster, and Queen's, and the tests are not at the same level at all when compared to UofT. The only school that comes close, from the past tests I've observed, is Waterloo.

Well then transfer out and let us know how it goes. I'm just saying if you try to act like you weren't in university before you're going to get caught because there is a central database called the ouac and there is going to be a match shown. Also the fact that you have no references but have been out of aschool doing nothing with goood grades will raise suspicion.
Banned
Jul 8, 2009
4006 posts
122 upvotes
JK400 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 1:14 pm
Metagame no offense but you sure do like to whine a lot and talk to lengths on things you know little to nothing about. Have you considered that maybe you just aren't ready for university yet, either because you weren't prepared academically enough by your secondary schooling or because your mentality hasn't matured enough?

If you're worried that your marks are low, stop worrying and obsessing over it. I see you posting on here every couple weeks complaining about your marks. For first year courses for large classes the marks are adjusted significantly. So you really don't know what your marks are going to be yet so you can shut up and stop fortune-telling to come up with some predicted GPA that you calculated that won't even be right anyway.

Some of your complaints about UofT are founded but others you are blowing way out of proportion. If you're having the worst time in your life and can't take it no more even though you put in a decent effort and are still faliing miserably you're probably not ready for university.

If you're worried about not getting a 4.0 GPA because you want to get into med school, maybe then it would be best to switch to another university. Maybe. Keep in mind first year and even sometimes second year marks are not even taken into consideration when applying to graduate school. Like I said, you're getting worked up over nothing. Sounds like a maturity thing.

Anyway I wouldn't suggest pretending that your UofT experience never happened. You're supposed to disclose all post-secondary marks when applying to universities as a transfer student (yes that's you). It's time you grew up and started accepting responsibility for your decisions and actions, you're not a high school student anymore you're in the real world now.

P.S I hope now you understand why they don't let you do double majors in electrical engineering and physics.

+1 also maybe metagame is just not good in physics, maybe he should switch majors, it is a serious consideration. I did well in lots of courses, so so in others, I'd doubt I'd do well in uft physics either, so maybe meta should pull out :lol:
Member
Jan 13, 2011
456 posts
8 upvotes
you can either take a light course load and boost your gpa or apply somewhere as undeclared or general science then switch to physics
Newbie
Nov 4, 2011
4 posts
MARKHAM
I know a couple friends that applied to another university without submitting their original. They both graduates and wokring full time now...
One graduated from UofT with distinction too, originally from Western...
University does not have access on their database but if they are suspicious they can check easily. It is a big risk, proceed with caution =O
But honestly, with 30000+ applicants its really hard to do a backgruond check for every person.
× < >

Top