Sports & Recreation

how to do pull ups without buying a pull up bar?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2009 5:56 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 8, 2005
688 posts

how to do pull ups without buying a pull up bar?

I watch the P90X training videos where you can do your workouts at home instead of paying for a gym membership. Theres a guy in the video that does pull ups with this thing attached to the ceiling. Whats it called and where would I find one? My rooms pretty tiny and we're not allowed to put pull ups bars outside the room door.

thanks.
70 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9645 posts
2850 upvotes
Ottawa
How about if you have a big tree in the garden and you can try it on a big branch ?

I used to do this all the time at my old place. Works like a charm for me

:)
[removed]
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2003
2088 posts
18 upvotes
Ya or a playground jungle gym, soccer posts, railing, etc..
[OP]
Jan 8, 2005
688 posts
I just went out and bought the Dual Resistance Tubing thing from PTFitness.

looks something like this:

the sales person said it works out the same group of muscles as doing a pull up. is that true?
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2002
1065 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
ruthless29 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2006 2:37 pm
I just went out and bought the Dual Resistance Tubing thing from PTFitness.

looks something like this:

the sales person said it works out the same group of muscles as doing a pull up. is that true?
If you strung it over a bar or surface and lifted yourself up, yeah. I can't see it working the same muscle groups any other way. How are you using it to mimic a pull up?
[OP]
Jan 8, 2005
688 posts
crap... i dont really know... i took the woman's word for it. she seemed to know what she was saying. she said it still works out the deltoids and trapezius the same way the pull up bar does. If this is not true, lemme know, I'll go and return it.

It was on special for $15 but do I need it if I already have weights?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1312 upvotes
ruthless29 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2006 12:02 pm
crap... i dont really know... i took the woman's word for it. she seemed to know what she was saying. she said it still works out the deltoids and trapezius the same way the pull up bar does. If this is not true, lemme know, I'll go and return it.

It was on special for $15 but do I need it if I already have weights?
If you are planning to get weights of any sort - be it barbell or dumbbell - you can forgo chin-ups and use any of the following exercises ( from an earlier post of mine ) at home to target your back muscles.

For Dumbells: ( if you can find a used Swiss - Ball it would add some difficulty )

These are for the UPPER BACK and you can do these using Dumbbells, so you can easily do them at home ...but a bench helps ( most descriptions of these exercises should be easily had on Google ) .......

[INDENT]- Prone reverse fly ( laying face down on your bench )

- Prone reverse fly ( laying face down on a Swiss - Ball )

- Seated Reverse Fly ( sitting on the end of your bench )

- Bent Over Row

- One - Arm Row ( hand and knee on bench )

- Pullover ( on bench )

- Pullover ( on Swiss Ball )[/INDENT]

Barbell :

[INDENT]- Bent-over Row ( as above )

- Pullover ( as above )

- T-Bar Row - only put one plate on a barbell, and put the other end of the bar without the plate on the floor tucked against the corner of a wall with some weight on top of it ( where 2 walls meet )...... straddle the with your feet on either side of the bar and face away from the wall holding the end without the plate....., rest the bar end with the plate on a rolled up towel that you will grips at both ends ( the towel is carrying the weight of the bar, you are holding the 2 ends of the towel as you straddle the bar ) - this simulates what you'd see as a T- bar station at most gyms ) [/INDENT]

And as i mentioned above, if you can afford it and are committed to working out at home...picking up a used Swiss-ball ( it can add intensity to your workout ) and bench ( along with weights ) is money well spent.
Oct 30, 2006
113 posts
3 upvotes
That resistance tubing will not work as well as a pullup. Go to the jungle gym! When i went to spain they have these jungle gyms outdoors made for the locals to work out (pretty cool). These guys working out were HUGE, ripped! traditional pushups and situps really work.
:| See ya, wouldn't wanna tai chi ya!
Dec 25, 2006
190 posts
my buddy has the P90X videos, and I'll say, he looks great,, its been doin it for 3 months and eating with the diet that comes with set,,,, now the guy has abs even when hes not flexing

as for the bar that you see in the videos,,, my friend made his by buying gas lines from Home Depot,,, you dont need to get the thick 1inch,, the 1/2 inch will do,, then when you get home,, fine a stud in the ceiling and screw it in using about 4 screws per side and it will hold your weight,,, i weigh 280 and it holds me up

I'm looking for a chin up and dip machine and will be starting the videos soon

let me know how your doin if you get the set
Feb 6, 2007
99 posts
London
theres also that thing "as seen on tv" thats sold at walmart that is a chinip/pullup/dips/pushup thing that doesnt need to be screwed to anything.. and just sits on top of the little door ledge.. so you can take it down after every workout.. i think its about $35 or so..
Oct 3, 2004
100 posts
mizz_tracy wrote:
Aug 1st, 2007 1:26 pm
theres also that thing "as seen on tv" thats sold at walmart that is a chinip/pullup/dips/pushup thing that doesnt need to be screwed to anything.. and just sits on top of the little door ledge.. so you can take it down after every workout.. i think its about $35 or so..
Power Gym!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2001
2618 posts
95 upvotes
Oakville
Does anyone know where you can purchase (cheaply) one of those "power towers"? They allow for pullups, dips, presses, etc. Examples are Weider 200 Power Tower, Ironman 3-Station Power Tower, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
6921 posts
265 upvotes
just how effective is the chin up exercise? how many can one do on average? setting up a bar in your house might cause holes in the wall or it might even be unsafe as it might not be secured safely. there's gotta be other exercise methods to compensate for the chin up exercise.