Page 2 of 5

Re: how to do pull ups without buying a pull up bar?

Posted: Aug 1st, 2007 10:01 pm
by Izzoshady
Most people cannot even do one. That being said if you are consistent with exercise and nutrition you should be able to get out anywhere from 5 - 20 with no problems

Above 20 is pretty good in terms of what the average guy can do

Posted: Aug 1st, 2007 10:01 pm
by d0fuz
Chin up and pull up are very effective back exercise, infact it should be as important as "bench" or squat etc. I have a bar, hand screwed onto my door frame and it works like a charm. I've tried loading the bar at 230 lbs and it didn't show any weakness.

Posted: Aug 1st, 2007 11:08 pm
by billdozer
Hi there,

Anybody know if this is any good?

http://www.pullupbar.com/

no screws, just friction between the door frame/trim and the rubber ends and capable of supporting up to 375lbs (i think).

Jim Lion...

Posted: Aug 1st, 2007 11:22 pm
by miken3
i have the power gym and it works great. Its easy to use and easy to setup. I've recommended this to many of my friends and now they've bought one. You can do pull ups, push ups, sit ups, dips.

you can find it at most wal marts for 39.97.

Posted: Aug 1st, 2007 11:22 pm
by bobbings
billdozer wrote:
Aug 1st, 2007 11:08 pm
Hi there,

Anybody know if this is any good?

http://www.pullupbar.com/

no screws, just friction between the door frame/trim and the rubber ends and capable of supporting up to 375lbs (i think).

Jim Lion...
i wouldn't get something like that for my house, suppose that it's not strong enough and the wood breaks. go to the parks and use their bars or buy a playground and stick it in your backyard lol, i've seen people make their own playgrounds out of wood and they can do chin ups off it as well as their kids can play on it too.

Posted: Aug 3rd, 2007 11:56 am
by cannon_fodder
Even though the images at Walmart show someone doing dips with the unit on the ground, it looks like you could mount the unit lower in the frame and do dips with all of your body weight.

With that work or does it really need to affix something at the top of the door frame?

Posted: Aug 3rd, 2007 4:49 pm
by canadiantofu
I used to lay under a fold out card table and do pull ups from there. It's not going to be your full body weight, but still effective.

Rather than a card table... you can try it with a desk. lay down head first under a desk or table. grab the edge of the table top and pull.

Posted: Aug 7th, 2007 12:29 am
by sannin
miken3 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2007 11:22 pm
i have the power gym and it works great. Its easy to use and easy to setup. I've recommended this to many of my friends and now they've bought one. You can do pull ups, push ups, sit ups, dips.

you can find it at most wal marts for 39.97.
I was also curious about that device. My only concern is that the the door frame creaks when I try to hang from the ledge (just to test it). Since the coverings are made from dry wall, i'm not sure if wall will be able to support the device.

I also agree that chin-ups/pull-ups is a very good test for your fitness because it incorporates your whole back and arms to pull you up!

Posted: Aug 7th, 2007 11:18 am
by cannon_fodder
I went to Walmart and bought the power gym.

After it came crashing down and smashed into the opposing wall during my first attempt to put my entire weight on it, I've come up with a different spot.

I think my door trim is a little too narrow. Besides the fact that the screws in the horizontal bar are not even recessed (meaning that they will 'dig' into the trim), it looks like the power gym is better for door frames where the trim is at least 3/4" deep.

I've now put it in the basement hanging from an I beam while touching one of the support joists. Even though it doesn't have support from both sides, it works fine now. I'll probably come up with something else to support the other side (thus mimicing the fact you use a door frame as cantilever leverage).

Posted: Aug 7th, 2007 12:25 pm
by Dragon120
Just came back from Walmart and bought the Power Gym for $39.99 plus tax. Will test it out tonight and will post feedback on it's usability and durability.

Posted: Aug 8th, 2007 1:06 am
by 1Tang
you can just buy a pull up bar from sportchek and just attach it to your door frame

Posted: Aug 8th, 2007 1:23 pm
by Dragon120
Assembled the Power Gym I bought from Walmart last night...not as sturdy as I thought/liked. Tried it to mount between the doors to the bedroom and hallway, neither worked. I live in an apartment, not a house and probably the dimensions were different. I ended up hanging it behind a door and it worked; however, it was too low...I didn't even need to jump to hang on.

Took it apart and will return it to WalMart.

Anyone else installed a pullup bar at an apartment? How does it hold up?

Posted: Aug 8th, 2007 1:31 pm
by df329
Dragon120 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2007 1:23 pm
Assembled the Power Gym I bought from Walmart last night...not as sturdy as I thought/liked. Tried it to mount between the doors to the bedroom and hallway, neither worked. I live in an apartment, not a house and probably the dimensions were different. I ended up hanging it behind a door and it worked; however, it was too low...I didn't even need to jump to hang on.

Took it apart and will return it to WalMart.

Anyone else installed a pullup bar at an apartment? How does it hold up?
not needing to jump onto it is a good thing... just hold on and bend your knees and do pullups like that

Posted: Aug 8th, 2007 1:36 pm
by Dragon120
df329 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2007 1:31 pm
not needing to jump onto it is a good thing... just hold on and bend your knees and do pullups like that
It hang all the way down to my shoulders. I hung on and did 25 pull-ups but felt awkward because I've never done it without jumping for it. Did another 20 but wasn't too thrilled about the product. Going to try a chinning bar from CT for $30.

Posted: Aug 8th, 2007 4:09 pm
by cun2x
Dragon120 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2007 1:36 pm
It hang all the way down to my shoulders. I hung on and did 25 pull-ups but felt awkward because I've never done it without jumping for it. Did another 20 but wasn't too thrilled about the product. Going to try a chinning bar from CT for $30.
Um.. what's CT?