Sports & Recreation

how to do pull ups without buying a pull up bar?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2009 5:56 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 5, 2005
80 posts
sorry to revive an old thread.

I was wondering if anyone knew if it's possibel to mount the power trainer pro in an unfinished basement that doesn't have any door frames which it can be placed on. Somehow put it into the beams?

If not, I'd appreciate if anyone knows where you can buy a ceiling mountable pullup bar

thanks
Dec 7, 2005
273 posts
newbie_07 wrote: sorry to revive an old thread.

I was wondering if anyone knew if it's possibel to mount the power trainer pro in an unfinished basement that doesn't have any door frames which it can be placed on. Somehow put it into the beams?

If not, I'd appreciate if anyone knows where you can buy a ceiling mountable pullup bar

thanks
same here. thanks!
Mar 20, 2008
215 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
sannin wrote: over 20 is quite good.

If you don't think girls can do chin-ups -> www.crossfit.com :lol:
Hate to bump an old topic..butttt firstly there's a HUGE difference between the kipping pullups you see on Crossfit and the good old dead mans hang pullups. Although I am addicted to crossfit, I hate kipping pullups, its kinda like if you see someone at the gym doing their bench press really fast, where if they did it slowly they wouldn't be able to handle it. Alot of crossfit moves use momentum to lift the weight, although the explosiveness of the workouts is what I enjoy.

Anyways question, anyone know where to buy the steel and piping required to make a free standing pullup bar...checked out the homedepot website and couldnt find anything long enough.
For Sale:
-Salomon Prospect Snowboard 2007
-Morrow Invasion Bindings 2007
-Lamar Boots
-2 Pairs of Goggles
Throw me an offer, discount for package!
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
1202 posts
206 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Bumping an old topic is not a bad thing, people shouldn't apologize about it. Better than having to read 20 threads when you do a search.

I've been looking into getting a chin up bar.

There are two that have commercials now and then. One is the Perfect Pullup, the other is the Iron Gym. Iron Gym is similar to Power Gym/Door Gym. Perfect Pullup has a different kind of thing where it has brackets to hold the bar. Some reviewers say it's not super sturdy.

In my country we had these bars that you can "screw" like a vice between the doorframe. Usually they had some kind of softish plastic so the frame doesnt get damaged. Unfortunately in Canada almost all doorframes are wood as opposed to metal so it's not as useful an option. Also I have not seen such kind of pullup bars being sold here.
Apr 11, 2008
562 posts
1 upvote
T.O.
Hey guys I picked up the PowerGym unit today at Sears and I ran into a problem installing it. The one stud I have above the door frame where I will mount it is located right in the middle of the frame, so should I just use one bracket to mount it on that stud, or 2 brackets mounted off the stud?
Nov 4, 2006
181 posts
12 upvotes
Moncton
007craft wrote: i was at wal-mart and decided to pick up the power gym and try it (90 day return policy).

First off, the bar itself locks in place with clips instead of screws, giving it a 2-3 degrees of rotation when on it. You dont really notice it when using it however. You have to put the rubber grips on yourself (refer to the grips im holding in pic 3+4) for the inside and its impossible to get them on without putting cooking oil on them like it says in the instructions. Problem is once their on with the oil, they turn a bit, and you do notice it while going up. perhaps the oil will dry and this problem will go away tho.

Now dont be fooled as this seen on tv on any door crap. I tried 4 differently built doors in my house and this thing did not work on a single one. First door, was to small width wise to get a good grip on the out pads. Not only that, but just supporting my weight chipped the wood above the door and made cracking sounds. I weigh only 165lbs too. I then tried a couple upstairs doors, same result. Went to the basement and tried that door. even worse. Wood was 100% going to break had I used all my weight.

Luckaly I noticed the steal T beams in my basement ran along one of the doorways. I was able to hook the bar onto the beam and still use the doorway. It seems to work ok (deffenitly no braking since its metal supporting me and not a crappy wooden door frame.). The height of the door frame (even a little higher since its on the metal) I find is low for me. Im 6' tall. I have to bend my lags a full 90 degrees just not to touch the ground, and even then im just barly off of it (this is with arms fully extended). This makes doing any sort of reps without touching the ground impossible. (refer to pictures below). The height I would like the bar to be is at the beam its hanging from, or possibly a bit higher up. I want to be able to reach the bar with my arms fully extended when standing like they do in the p90x videos, not bent like they are now.

Its very hard for my to do pull ups because of the low height. Chin ups are not so hard but I want to be able to do both. Ill try it for a few more weeks before I decide to return it or not. I probably will return it because its too low and I can gain another foot+ if I come up with my own custom solution for hanging something from the ceiling. Its probably a better product for people with super high doorways or shorter folks. Oh btw, do NOT hang this from a beam without the door frame. yes it does work, but if you sway slightly forward a bit it will slide off and you could seriously injure yourself.

How wide is your door frame? Mine is 36" and I'm finding that most of them only fit up to 32"...
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2007
10206 posts
1465 upvotes
Mississauga
bobbings wrote: just how effective is the chin up exercise? how many can one do on average? setting up a bar in your house might cause holes in the wall or it might even be unsafe as it might not be secured safely. there's gotta be other exercise methods to compensate for the chin up exercise.
#1 I didn't use the J clips provited and my chin up bar hasn't fallen off, while was on it. Ive had it on my door for 1 year. therefore no holes

#2 Use bands.... they will be as effective as long as your form is good
RFD 43-0-0
Ebay 39-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Mar 27, 2009
1 posts
Hey, so I bought one of those door jam pullup-bars that you hang over the trim of a doorway. I get to my dorm room, discover that there are industrial doors with zero trim, damn. Is there anyway to get a pullup bar that just hangs over the door itself with some L-brackets or something, I really don't want to have to throw a towel over the door itself to do pullups (that really sucks).
Sep 1, 2006
625 posts
841 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
OP, your contemplating spending lots of money on a POS workout system and u won't even shell out $20 or less to FULLY use P90x?
May 3, 2006
65 posts
ruthless29 wrote: I watch the P90X training videos where you can do your workouts at home instead of paying for a gym membership. Theres a guy in the video that does pull ups with this thing attached to the ceiling. Whats it called and where would I find one? My rooms pretty tiny and we're not allowed to put pull ups bars outside the room door.

thanks.
Hi guys, this is my solution- I actually came up with the idea because I needed portable pull-up bars but you can do som much more! Dips, Leg raises, etc. They are called Equalizers- just go to www.lebertequalizer.com and anyone from this forumn can email me and I'll give you a code to use to save $10.00 OFF. Cheers, Marc

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)