Shopping Discussion

How do reviews like Yelp, UrbanSpoon, etc influence you?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2015 9:20 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19011 posts
1447 upvotes
When I am home they influence me little. New spot opens up, I'll go try it myself.

When I travel, they influence me 100%. When you are travelling and you are only in a place a limited time, you don't have the luxury of stumbling upon a place with horrible service or horrible food.

But, I don't use UrbanSpoon or Yelp, I use TripAdvisor, which tends to have both more reviews and almost seemingly more legitimate ones (Yelp has really gone down the tubes the last few years). I will only fire up UrbanSpoon in an attempt to reserve a table.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Mar 18, 2009
36 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I read reviews but it depends on what it is. The people that write bad reviews are usually people that had a unique experience happen to them. As others mentioned not many people leave positive reviews for companies but I'm sure most of us go about our days having pretty decent experiences with businesses. If a company was so bad than would they really be in business. I know with travel most of the time bad reviews are written, it usually has something to do with the passenger now reading terms and conditions than wanting to cancel or they spelt their name wrong and when they can't change it it's the company's fault. It's always interesting to see how a company handles negative reviews. Do they acknowledge what happened and admit when they've made a mistake or not? To me, that makes a difference. Mistakes happen but if someone or a company can admit that and try to make it better than that says a lot.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12342 posts
1863 upvotes
City of Vancouver
De gustibus non est disputandum
Dec 17, 2010
360 posts
133 upvotes
I only use urbanspoon for my reviews, and specifically the ones with blogs/pictures so i can gauge if the food looks good or not.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18541 posts
3173 upvotes
GTA West
Ogopogoyoyo wrote:
Oct 27th, 2014 12:07 pm
I've been reading Yelp reviews and found that at least in my little locale they bear no relationship whatsoever to reality. They all use the same language, they all sound like they're written by marketers, and there's hardly ever a negative one unless there's a sudden pile-on.

But the stats say these sites are very popular. Do they influence you at all? Do you see a difference between them (My friends swear UrbanSpoon is unbiased and Yelp is biased).
The reviews influence me to some extent, however, this is the internet and we have to be skeptical of what we read. Shills and reverse-shills are commonplace on these sites and even on RFD. Also, I heard that some of these review sites will only let negative reviews stand unless you pay for advertising on their site.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?