• Feb 21st, 2014 2:22 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 6, 2013
965 posts
486 upvotes
lalaland

How do you carry all those cards?

Bank cards, credit cards, store cards, loyalty cards, gift cards, IDs, etc. At the bare minimum my wallet is always holding at least 4 IDs, 3 bank cards, and 3 loyalty cards. But when I do my weekend shopping I often need more than those 10 cards. I hate that they make my wallet too thick.

Being a RFDer, I think it's normal to have a huge variety of store and loyalty cards. I actually have two of these fat wallets to carry them cards. So how do you carry all your cards? Big card wallet? Purse? Murse? Leave them in car?
34 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
1825 posts
625 upvotes
Either get a women's wallet or leave out the less used ones.

Where you store the unused cards is up to you. If you're afraid to lose them or have them stolen, then at home would be best, but if you don't want to ever miss out on points then keeping them in the car would be better.
Dec 22, 2011
326 posts
65 upvotes
Oakville
I have the "George Costanza"wallet so one side of me is always unlevel lol.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3907 posts
2336 upvotes
Ottawa
xfftwf wrote: Bank cards, credit cards, store cards, loyalty cards, gift cards, IDs, etc. At the bare minimum my wallet is always holding at least 4 IDs, 3 bank cards, and 3 loyalty cards. But when I do my weekend shopping I often need more than those 10 cards. I hate that they make my wallet too thick.

Being a RFDer, I think it's normal to have a huge variety of store and loyalty cards. I actually have two of these fat wallets to carry them cards. So how do you carry all your cards? Big card wallet? Purse? Murse? Leave them in car?
Out of curiousity, why do you need even need more than 2 pieces of ID with you? and have you considered getting/using a credit card or increasing the balance of one of your bank cards, rather than carrying all 3 bank cards?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1864 posts
838 upvotes
Oakville
Downgraded from LV wallet From HR to elastic band.
Nov 22, 2010
759 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
wallet contains a visa, mc, amex, driver's license, bank card, and health card. everything else is either in the car or at home. to me, there isn't a points card that's worth the real estate in the wallet.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
2044 posts
129 upvotes
I use one of these in my front pocket:
[IMG]http://www.thebusinessprinters.co.uk/wp ... olders.jpg[/IMG]

In it, I have my credit card, debit card, license, car2go card, grocery store loyalty card, and expired student card (never know lol)
I also use CardStar on my iPhone:
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/cardsta ... 60311?mt=8

Keeps all my loyalty cards in the app, and turns it into a barcode and the teller scans the phone, or enters it manually.

All my other cards (Care card, hard copy loyalty cards, etc) are at home in a wallet in my desk.

Keeps my pants from stretching due to that butt bulge ;)
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13044 posts
11386 upvotes
there's no way that small card holder can fit that many cards..
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
421 upvotes
Toronto
Easy...any man's waller has at least 6 compartments. I got my drivers licence, master card, visa and BMO debit card. And of course cash.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4567 posts
3509 upvotes
Montreal
I ditched the loyalty cards other than air miles (which may be next), not really worth the trouble consider how little you actually get from them.

Still could lose a few cards though, maybe the hospital cards are next, it's not like I can drop in without appointment anyway. The blood donor card could go too, maybe...
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
lemailme wrote: In it, I have my credit card, debit card, license, car2go card, grocery store loyalty card, and expired student card (never know lol)
I also use CardStar on my iPhone:
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/cardsta ... 60311?mt=8

Keeps all my loyalty cards in the app, and turns it into a barcode and the teller scans the phone, or enters it manually.
Just a heads up to anyone thinking of trying this out to stay far away. I've been using it for years and it's recently become more invasive than a cavity search at Guantanamo Bay. They want to store everything you own by forcing an upgrade. I mean everything! No reason to do this other than they want to know where you shop and when you shop to build a nice lucrative data profile to sell. They insert bogue ads and cards in your 'wallet'.

It went from one of the top 5 most useful apps on my phone to being the downright scariest in 2 years. It's been deleted from my phone and I find it mind-boggling they still have a single user after pulling this stuff.
Dec 6, 2013
965 posts
486 upvotes
lalaland
Akitakara wrote: Out of curiousity, why do you need even need more than 2 pieces of ID with you? and have you considered getting/using a credit card or increasing the balance of one of your bank cards, rather than carrying all 3 bank cards?
IDs I have driver license, health, student card, and work card. Banks - credit, debit, amex, and loyalty - SDM, Aeroplan, Costco. I got GCs from holidays and discount buys so they do add a little extra thickness. Then there's cash, receipts, notes, etc.I leave most the loyalty cards at home but I dislike having to calculate which one cards to take with me before I go shopping...

But today I whole-punched all of them and stacked together by a binder ring :D
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1262 posts
86 upvotes
oshawa
have any of you tried Stocard
if you dont have an answer, dont repond to my thread.
I need answers, and thats why i use redflagdeals forums.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
I carry the small key tag versions of my loyalty cards if possible - they take up less room. I carry one credit card, a debit card, and my drivers license at all times...if I need any other cards, I plan in advance so I have them with me when I shop. I also like to carry some cash just in case...
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
514 upvotes
GVR
You need to figure out what you actually need. Most people won't need anything other than a driver's license and credit card most of the time. Add to that whatever card you need when you're going out.

For loyalty cards, you have 3 alternatives to carrying a bunch of cards:
1) Get an app like Stocard.
2) Use keychain versions of the cards when they're available.
3) Print out a sticker of the barcode from your cards, and paste them on a single blank card (you should easily fit 6 per side).
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3907 posts
2336 upvotes
Ottawa
xfftwf wrote: IDs I have driver license, health, student card, and work card. Banks - credit, debit, amex, and loyalty - SDM, Aeroplan, Costco. I got GCs from holidays and discount buys so they do add a little extra thickness. Then there's cash, receipts, notes, etc.I leave most the loyalty cards at home but I dislike having to calculate which one cards to take with me before I go shopping...

But today I whole-punched all of them and stacked together by a binder ring :D
You only need to carry a (Costco) Amex. No need to bring the Costco card too.

And for aeroplan, are you really going to that many places that accept it even? :/ Seems kind of useless to me IMO.

Leave your receipts at home :razz:
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4782 posts
1327 upvotes
Richmond
Get a long wallet xD. There are long mens wallets with 12 slots. I saw a thin short wallet from cnkw canada that had 12 slots plus an id slot for about 18 bucks.

I use a mid sized coach wallet with ten slots. I don't have that many loyalty cards xD. I make my mom carry them instead. The only loyalty card i really have is the pc plus card. If i want to go to pricesmart, I drag my mom with me xD. May get my own airmiles collector card eventually though. I may eventually upgrade to their madison skinny wallet with 16 slots if i eventually get more cards.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
1825 posts
625 upvotes
jzmtl wrote: I ditched the loyalty cards other than air miles (which may be next), not really worth the trouble consider how little you actually get from them.

Still could lose a few cards though, maybe the hospital cards are next, it's not like I can drop in without appointment anyway. The blood donor card could go too, maybe...
I normally have to open my wallet to get the money or plastic, so the extra seconds it takes to hand it to them is hardly troublesome.

If it takes 10 seconds to get the points, you could do it 360 times in an hour. If your loyalty card gave you 1% back, spending at least $2.80 would result in $10.08 an hour.
xfftwf wrote: But today I whole-punched all of them and stacked together by a binder ring :D
Great idea, I know what I'm doing later!
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
2044 posts
129 upvotes
faken wrote: there's no way that small card holder can fit that many cards..
edit: oops my pictures got deleted

..it does fit it all.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21265 posts
6248 upvotes
Poormond Hill
I carry two small wallets in my purse. One has cards that I don't need to show often like licenses, health...etc. The other has debit, credit, points and cash.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)