• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2017 8:19 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 13, 2017
6 posts
1 upvote

How do you deal with road rage?

Long time lurker. Had a couple of incidents happen and wanted advice on how to deal with drivers who lose their tempers. First incident was backing out of a parking lot, nothing on the rear cam. After doing the head checks while my car is still 75% in, I notice a car stopped two car lengths away not in the center but on the side so I wait in place to see what he wants to do. He isn't moving and gesturing for me to come out; I assume he wants to take my space given his position. I then reverse and have the driver go into a rage about how I don't check while reversing? Totally incomprehensible but perhaps there's some backing out protocol I'm missing, namely psychic communication. Second incident happens while stopped on a left turn without an advance green. There is oncoming traffic. 3 cars indicating that they're turning right which is all well and good but I don't want to take the turn until they've completed theirs. Car behind me starts honking like mad, I wait for the last car to take its turn and then make mine, guy seems drunk and spits out a series of expletives interspersed with how green means turn. Sure it does, turn when it's safe I would think, just like drinking and driving apparently. Perhaps he couldn't see them but wouldn't you think in that case that someone is not turning because it's not safe to do so rather than mucking about for the kicks?

Short of having a punching implement like Inspector Gadget's car, how does one deal with such pricks? Just let go or is there another more satisfying way?
32 replies
Jan 19, 2006
317 posts
117 upvotes
BC
Let's face it, people want to get to where they are going, and waiting for someone to reverse out of parking is something you may or may not feel obligated to do. You are relying in the ever decreasing tolerance of the public when you reverse out.

Whenever possible, back into parking upon arrival, or pull through if possible. Forgo the primo spot close to your destination and park a little further away if you feel awkward attempting this.

1) You have greater "command" of the area as you are a moving vehicle in the roadway.

2) Provide non-verbal clues to those that are confused as to why you would want to back in. These could be engaging four-way flashers, driving very slow as you approach the parking spot, friendly hand signals that indicate your intent. Many drivers want to nudge you along by getting as close as possible to the rear of your vehicle. Just go way slow, turn wide to set up the reversing and block their path to skirt around. You may be waiting a long time for traffic to subside If you don't block the flow of vehicles skirting around you. They will clue into what you are doing and will let you do it because they know you will get the hell out of their way all that much sooner.

3) Enjoy driving forward out of your parking spot. Because you are driving forward you can respond more confidently to changing conditions, and other drivers respect your exit and allow you to command the exit path.

4) Reversing camera are for getting close to obstacles. You lose pretty much all situational awareness when looking at the screen. Focus is diverted away from your surroundings and the side views. Make checking the cam the last thing you do when you park. These are also very vulnerable to changing light, contamination etc. The sonar warning devices complement reversing as you just listen adding to situational awareness and allowing side view concentration.

Left turns: Waiting till safe to turn left is always the correct thing to do. Once oncoming traffic subsides, execute your turn promptly and at the fastest speed you are comfortable with. It is maddening when a left turn ahead of you slooowly put-puts through the left turn and foils vehicles that could have also safely made the turn.
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
13123 posts
2649 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Don't get me started on the number of pricks i encounter on the roadways on a daily basis
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
[OP]
May 13, 2017
6 posts
1 upvote
Thanks cloudsuck, great tips. I'm going to start backing into parking spaces from now on. I honestly don't think I could've done anything different at the left turn scenario I mentioned but intimidation of that sort would surely rattle some drivers and cause unnecessary incidents. I've however settled myself by thinking one day he's going to get his just comeuppance.
[OP]
May 13, 2017
6 posts
1 upvote
Please do get started nasa25. I could use the venting vicariously.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
6654 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
Atreides wrote:
May 14th, 2017 9:59 pm
Long time lurker. Had a couple of incidents happen and wanted advice on how to deal with drivers who lose their tempers. First incident was backing out of a parking lot, nothing on the rear cam. After doing the head checks while my car is still 75% in, I notice a car stopped two car lengths away not in the center but on the side so I wait in place to see what he wants to do. He isn't moving and gesturing for me to come out; I assume he wants to take my space given his position. I then reverse and have the driver go into a rage about how I don't check while reversing? Totally incomprehensible but perhaps there's some backing out protocol I'm missing, namely psychic communication. Second incident happens while stopped on a left turn without an advance green. There is oncoming traffic. 3 cars indicating that they're turning right which is all well and good but I don't want to take the turn until they've completed theirs. Car behind me starts honking like mad, I wait for the last car to take its turn and then make mine, guy seems drunk and spits out a series of expletives interspersed with how green means turn. Sure it does, turn when it's safe I would think, just like drinking and driving apparently. Perhaps he couldn't see them but wouldn't you think in that case that someone is not turning because it's not safe to do so rather than mucking about for the kicks?

Short of having a punching implement like Inspector Gadget's car, how does one deal with such pricks? Just let go or is there another more satisfying way?
I'm not sure I follow your #1, he's gesturing you to come out and still getting mad?

Re #2, I hate jerks like that, is he 100% sure that you can make the turn safely? Is he going to cover all your family's expenses if you get killed? Bunch of selfish rushing jerks in a hurry to get nowhere. A similar one is when you're turning left at the lights and most of the opposing lanes' cars stop entering the intersection because it's blocked up save for that one far lane that's hidden all the way to the left of you...that is the PERFECT trap to get into accident, one has to make sure ALL cars in ALL lanes are stopped before turning, yet there will invariably be some jerk behind you thinking it's a-ok and why the heck you aren't turning and will be honking/mad like crazy.

Just ignore these jerks.
[OP]
May 13, 2017
6 posts
1 upvote
tranquility922 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 12:45 am
I'm not sure I follow your #1, he's gesturing you to come out and still getting mad?
Ikr, that was why it was so weird. It's like he wanted me to read his mind somehow. Not only that but the distance he was stopped at, it's not as if I came rushing out like a spicy dinner gone wrong...and even if I had done so, he was so far away that my car wouldn't have touched his. I think he did that solely to unload his rage. He possibly wanted a lane that had no cars backing out and I defiantly thwarted him by having the temerity to do so. Just doesn't make sense, maybe he had a really bad day or is one of those I own the lane types.
Re #2, I hate jerks like that, is he 100% sure that you can make the turn safely? Is he going to cover all your family's expenses if you get killed? Bunch of selfish rushing jerks in a hurry to get nowhere. A similar one is when you're turning left at the lights and most of the opposing lanes' cars stop entering the intersection because it's blocked up save for that one far lane that's hidden all the way to the left of you...that is the PERFECT trap to get into accident, one has to make sure ALL cars in ALL lanes are stopped before turning, yet there will invariably be some jerk behind you thinking it's a-ok and why the heck you aren't turning and will be honking/mad like crazy.

Just ignore these jerks.
Yep, exactly. He isn't going to be paying my insurance either if I get into an accident. I've been using that big brother app to get a discount on the insurance and it weighs heavily on my mindDisappointed Face
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14155 posts
985 upvotes
Loud music and therapeutic cursing. Mellowing out comes with age. If you survive that long. Ever bodice seniors never lose their cool?
Feb 8, 2017
53 posts
42 upvotes
I live in GTA. It is very difficult to drive. There are lots of ignorant ******** idiots on road.

1. Most Canadians don't know proper driving rules
2. People bully new and inexperienced drivers. People should remember that they were also new drivers, new drivers can't drive like someone who has 10 years of driving experience
3. People are very impatient and idiots want others to drive the same way as them.

For example: someone likes to take time and safely make left turn on busy intersection while a person behind him thinks he's slow and could have made a left turn earlier so he will honk him, tailgate him, cut him off, etc

4. Cops are not really catching these idiots
5. People need to be COURTEOUS and respectful to each other on road
6. People need to stop blocking all lanes. Move over to right lane every time someone else behind you is driving faster. Let people merge into highway. Be more patient and courteous in parking lots, etc

People will never learn to do any of this because they are @$$holes. Cops should do more patrolling, people should be ticketed for blocking lanes or hogging left lane, driving over 15 km/hr yes that means nobody drives faster than 115 km/hr on highways. People should be ticketed for speeding, tailgating, etc and repeated offenders should have their license taken away. This is the only way these idiots will learn.

7. Remember nobody is perfect. People makes mistakes. Someone may have slept only 2 hours or could be tired because he worked night shift or could be anything don't start swearing at people for little things
8. Mind your own business and stop policing other drivers. Don't intentionally block a driver who is going fast.

OP: Just ignore these idiots. You just drive safely, avoid accidents, avoid speeding tickets, all these idiots will get into accidents or will get speeding tickets sooner or later
Oct 5, 2006
351 posts
97 upvotes
Calgary
from personal experience, the times when I flip out are the times when I'm stressed out about things other than driving (like work). so assuming other ppl are having a bad day, it's ok to let it slip and not suffer a stroke over it. on the other hand, I do really wanted to ram some horrible drivers that intentionally tailgated me or merged in front of me and then just slams on the brakes. wtf moment...
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18599 posts
2101 upvotes
Poormond Hill
If people are raging on you, check your driving behavior. You could well be the fault. I know I get upset when people:
1. Take forever to reverse out. Despite having a back up camera, they "inch back by inch". Then they barely turn the wheel expecting to drive away, only to realize they have to redo it again!
2. Being over cautious when turning. Really, you don't need a 10 second clearance to turn!!
3. Hugging and slowly driving in the inside lane to reach your destination that is 15 KMS away!!!
4. Knowing that you have to stop at your favorite Tim's every morning and not being in the correct lane until the very last second so you have to bully yourself in!!!!
5. People who drive AMGs and M powered cars. You stop at a light. They are in the lane ending a couple hundred metres away. Light goes green. They indicate to change lane. They accelerate at the same rate as you. Sticking to your side and expecting you to give way. Why buy a freaking powerful car if you are not making use of it?????
6. Same darn thing on the highway when they have to merge. Use the power!!!!!!
7. Speaking of the highway! How many times have someone push themselves into your lane and drive slower than you? Too many ******" times!!!!!!!
I can go on but this thread has me raging!!!!!!!!!!!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2170 posts
423 upvotes
Mississauga
I learned early on not to trust another driver's turn signal. Almost got t-boned one time when I was waiting to turn right from a side street and buddy driving in cross traffic had his turn signal on to turn into the same side street. I started to pull out when the next thing I hear is a horn and screeching tires. Turned out he wasn't turning onto the side street afterall and had his blinker on for no reason.

Now I wait until the other driver has physically started his turn before I pull out.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4761 posts
343 upvotes
Atreides wrote:
May 14th, 2017 9:59 pm
Second incident happens while stopped on a left turn without an advance green. There is oncoming traffic. 3 cars indicating that they're turning right which is all well and good but I don't want to take the turn until they've completed theirs. Car behind me starts honking like mad, I wait for the last car to take its turn and then make mine, guy seems drunk and spits out a series of expletives interspersed with how green means turn. Sure it does, turn when it's safe I would think, just like drinking and driving apparently. Perhaps he couldn't see them but wouldn't you think in that case that someone is not turning because it's not safe to do so rather than mucking about for the kicks?
Road rage is stupid. But I have a question for your second incident. How many lanes were there on the left road?
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
12795 posts
2832 upvotes
Ottawa
Under no circumstances, will I attempt to engage an out control maniac.
Too many unknowns (hidden weapon) and it likely won't be an old school fist fight.
I'm down for a fair scrap, but not going to let my ego get the best of me and get shot or stabbed.
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
2731 posts
565 upvotes
markham
as someone who consistently logged about 150k km a year..you have to let things go..smile and move on...getting riled up not only causes you undo stress..messes up your next hour or so while you calm down..it also impairs your judgement and could cause you to eff up as your concentration on road safety and awareness is compromised. I have been the victim many times of the most stupid drivers and circumstances..but over the years , I have trained myself to let it go. We all eff up at some time or another...I have had guys raging on me too..i smile say sorry and move on..some guys (or girls) cant let it go...I had an incident the other week where a guy was in my blind spot for a long time and I almost hit him..I waved , said sorry...at the lights beside me he was raging! I rolled down the window and asked what his problem was...I apologized ..I also said what more did he want?..some cash? did he want to harm me?,,then I asked what he was so mad about as I had acknowledged my error...he then looked puzzled, laughed and said he didn't know..the drove away.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel