Automotive

How do you deal with road rage?

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2017 8:19 pm
Tags:
Mar 17, 2016
358 posts
234 upvotes
About the left turn scenario. Is that actually the rule that you cannot legally take a left turn in a 2+ lane street unless every car that's turning right has passed? I vaguely remember that during the driving tests but then again no one does the half of the stuff on the road you're required to do on the test.

I always assumed it was ok to turn left if there is more than one lane. People turning right have their own lane, you have yours. Obviously if there is not enough space, they have a bigger car, they drive too fast - I don't do it. It might fly somewhere outside of GTA on quiet streets but here you'll get the horn and road rage if you take too long to make a turn.

Same kind of thing with people making a right turn pulling out of the plaza. You're turning right onto a big multi lane road. If the closest lane to you has no cars in it - go ahead and make a turn slowly. I see some sit for a few minutes until the road has 0 cars in all of the lanes, then they turn right.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18854 posts
2454 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Hindenburg1 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 8:48 am
About the left turn scenario. Is that actually the rule that you cannot legally take a left turn in a 2+ lane street unless every car that's turning right has passed? I vaguely remember that during the driving tests but then again no one does the half of the stuff on the road you're required to do on the test.

I always assumed it was ok to turn left if there is more than one lane. People turning right have their own lane, you have yours. Obviously if there is not enough space, they have a bigger car, they drive too fast - I don't do it. It might fly somewhere outside of GTA on quiet streets but here you'll get the horn and road rage if you take too long to make a turn.

Same kind of thing with people making a right turn pulling out of the plaza. You're turning right onto a big multi lane road. If the closest lane to you has no cars in it - go ahead and make a turn slowly. I see some sit for a few minutes until the road has 0 cars in all of the lanes, then they turn right.
Globe & Mail: Is It Illegal To Make A Right Turn Into The Left Lane?
When you're turning right, you don't have the right to turn into the left lane, police say.

"In simple terms, you turn right into the right lane only, and left in to the left lane only," says Toronto police traffic services Const. Clint Stibbe. "The only (legal) exception for a vehicle making a right turn into another lane has to do with a transport trailer, if they have to make a wide turn."

Section 141 of Ontario's Highway Traffic Act (HTA) spells out the rules for turns.

It says a driver turning right must turn into "the right-hand lane of the intersecting highway where the lane is marked or, where no such lane is marked, by keeping immediately to the left of the right curb or edge of the roadway being entered."

In other words, stay in your lane — and if there isn't one, keep to the right.

Left turns are the same — unless signs or markings tell you otherwise, turn into the far left lane.

If you're on a road that allows turns from multiple lanes, you stay in the lane you started in — unless there are signs indicating otherwise.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
May 13, 2017
6 posts
1 upvote
Loud music and therapeutic cursing. Mellowing out comes with age. If you survive that long. Ever bodice seniors never lose their cool?
Got the first part down with the windows up though. My dad is a senior but sadly hasn't mellowed with age. We hide the car keys when he wants to drive.

Crixus45, agreed. A little courtesy goes a long way. I've seen more good/neutral drivers than bad but that could just be my eternal optimism.
from personal experience, the times when I flip out are the times when I'm stressed out about things other than driving (like work). so assuming other ppl are having a bad day, it's ok to let it slip and not suffer a stroke over it. on the other hand, I do really wanted to ram some horrible drivers that intentionally tailgated me or merged in front of me and then just slams on the brakes. wtf moment...
Times like those is when you hope they suffer one way or another.
I can go on but this thread has me raging!!!!!!!!!!!
Your post has me raging now.
I learned early on not to trust another driver's turn signal. Almost got t-boned one time when I was waiting to turn right from a side street and buddy driving in cross traffic had his turn signal on to turn into the same side street. I started to pull out when the next thing I hear is a horn and screeching tires. Turned out he wasn't turning onto the side street afterall and had his blinker on for no reason.

Now I wait until the other driver has physically started his turn before I pull out.
Yes yes exactly! I've seen that happen just yesterday. He had his blinkers on, was in the right turn lane and just went merrily straight on through! I assume he had made a lane change at some point and his lights stayed on. The kicker was that he was slowed down because cars in front of him were turning so someone on the other side would think he was about to turn since all the indications were there other than him physically turning.
Road rage is stupid. But I have a question for your second incident. How many lanes were there on the left road?
One. I think he was pissed that I was waiting for the right turners, or he couldn't see them given that he was behind me.
Under no circumstances, will I attempt to engage an out control maniac.
Too many unknowns (hidden weapon) and it likely won't be an old school fist fight.
I'm down for a fair scrap, but not going to let my ego get the best of me and get shot or stabbed.
I'd be down for a fair fight too but that would mean that the opposing party would have to be a woman. We had an underground female fight club at school. Very satisfying. Totally agree though.
I've been told that you're supposed to make sure all the lanes are clear before turning by a cop I asked once.
I've seen too many people not keeping to their lanes while turning which makes it iffy. Would I rather be right with my car banged up? I suppose in an accident where I couldn't have foreseen it yeah but in certain situations where you know it's more of a risk already I wouldn't do it. I guess I'd take the road rage over getting into an accident and dealing with the fallout.
Agreed, I do that myself. The only time I don't is when a car is in the lane closest to the turn lane at a high speed and close enough distance because they might turn into the right most lane. Seen that happen too. I avoid doing that, never change lanes close to a turning point but in the middle of the road somewhere.
[OP]
May 13, 2017
6 posts
1 upvote
cardguy wrote:
May 17th, 2017 8:14 am
as someone who consistently logged about 150k km a year..you have to let things go..smile and move on...getting riled up not only causes you undo stress..messes up your next hour or so while you calm down..it also impairs your judgement and could cause you to eff up as your concentration on road safety and awareness is compromised. I have been the victim many times of the most stupid drivers and circumstances..but over the years , I have trained myself to let it go. We all eff up at some time or another...I have had guys raging on me too..i smile say sorry and move on..some guys (or girls) cant let it go...I had an incident the other week where a guy was in my blind spot for a long time and I almost hit him..I waved , said sorry...at the lights beside me he was raging! I rolled down the window and asked what his problem was...I apologized ..I also said what more did he want?..some cash? did he want to harm me?,,then I asked what he was so mad about as I had acknowledged my error...he then looked puzzled, laughed and said he didn't know..the drove away.
Awesome post. Thanks cardguy, that's just really helpful to me.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
1789 posts
403 upvotes
Calgary
As silly as this may sound, I found that if I take a few deep breaths in through my nose and out through my mouth I feel more relaxed after something happens in traffic that may make me angry. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
14744 posts
3794 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I use breathing techniques plus serenity now and the anger just melts away.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Apr 25, 2017
81 posts
50 upvotes
Sometimes there are battles you don't have to fight (or win). Road raging is one of them. You'll get mad at the moment but after 5 minutes you'll forget about it and continue driving.

If you're not at fault, do what I usually do.

When people honk at me or give me fingers. I would just look at them raging in anger with my bored-to-death eyes. It's better to let the other person rage and escalate all their anger but they can't put it on you because you're calm and collected. Trust me they'll be more angry when you look at them like "you're crying like a woman."

Don't smile or do anything when looking at them. Just look with a bored face. If they approach you, put out your phone and say "I'm calling 911". If he punches you, call 911 anyway and remember his license plate.

If my phone is dead and I'm in a road rage in a middle of nowhere. Then forget about the above advice because I've gotta prepare to fight if necessary.

But if you're in the city, just look at them with bored-to-death eyes.
Dec 27, 2007
207 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
I've been told that you're supposed to make sure all the lanes are clear before turning by a cop I asked once.
That's not correct. Sure it's the "safest", but so is never leaving home. You are to turn into the the closest lane. The opposing traffic should turn into the right lane, you should turn into the left lane.

The person behind you was completely justified in their irritation, barring super fast or unsafe driving by the oncoming vehicle.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4605 posts
846 upvotes
Mississauga
Hindenburg1 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 8:48 am

That's not the rule. You can make a left turn while opposing traffic is making a right turn if there is a lane for each party as people are supposed to execute lane-to-lane turns. With that said, it doesn't just boil down to right-of-way, it's about collision-prevention.

You know there is a proportion of people that do not execute lane-to-lane turns out of habit (that is a fact), so you are risking getting into a collision by trying to execute your left turn at precisely the same time as the opposing party. I tend to stagger if there's a bit of breathing room (so timing my turn to be between two turning vehicles), or I just wait - it's a case-by-case basis.

Now, if the destination road has three or more lanes, then definitely, I don't see the point in waiting as there is a buffer lane.
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
14744 posts
3794 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
^+1

Defensive driving ftw. Can't trust anyone to drive like a civilized human being these days.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2008
1882 posts
352 upvotes
Aurora
90% of people rank themselves as above average driving ability.
:rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2006
4825 posts
235 upvotes
sryyz wrote:
May 17th, 2017 12:19 pm
That's not correct. Sure it's the "safest", but so is never leaving home. You are to turn into the the closest lane. The opposing traffic should turn into the right lane, you should turn into the left lane.

The person behind you was completely justified in their irritation, barring super fast or unsafe driving by the oncoming vehicle.
Yeah I would be a bit ticked. I usually turn a little slower when there are people turning in the right lane; just in case there are those people who 'cut' into the left lane while they turn. It lets me break or let them know I'm approaching and gives them hopefully some awareness.

Edit: Yes like the above post mentions (my slower turning lets me stagger between the turning cars).
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
2939 posts
568 upvotes
Edmonton
I generally only get angry when drivers are being arrogant.

Sure I can be frustrated when you're doing 15 under the speed limit, not using your signals, and generally seem completely incompetent at driving,

But if your tailgating me (and I'm already going 15 over), speed around me to cut me off and then either a) turn, or b) slow down, or driving like an a$$hat weaving in and out and cut me off because you are more important that me I generally have problems with that.
Sep 13, 2016
860 posts
382 upvotes
I am very new to driving cars, have ridden motorbikes most of my life. And my survival skill has always been to keep an eye on all vehicles around me and anticipate their moves based on how they are behaving.
If the left turn scenario that you described, I would also like to make sure that the oncoming traffic actually wants to turn right, and does not have their blinkers on simply by mistake or ignorance.
Normally my approach is to try and go slowly in a zipper fashion, so that I will always have a way out and can brake if they turn wide.

Also, you need to just learn to live with such people and let it go.
Just the other day I was stuck in a bumper to bumper rush hour traffic, safely following another car and a transit bus in front of me, and a lady following me thought it was an amazing idea to honk at me continuously.
I just turned up the radio a little, and that solved everything as far as I am concerned. lol.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4142 posts
2485 upvotes
North York
sandikosh wrote:
May 17th, 2017 4:25 am

7. Speaking of the highway! How many times have someone push themselves into your lane and drive slower than you? Too many ******" times!!!!!!!
I can go on but this thread has me raging!!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously, this is the worst kind. Especially when you are on the left lane to pass, they come in, block you, and STILL DRIVE SLOWER than the lane they just left.
What's the point of going into a faster lane if you can't even keep up with your slow lanes? And they are totally oblivious.

I did remember seeing "Slow Traffic Keep Right" signs, but can't see many of them now.
How do I downvote this voting system?