Fashion & Beauty

How do you decide to get rid of old clothes?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2018 5:11 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto

How do you decide to get rid of old clothes?

I'm the least fashion aficionado around, so have a lot of old clothes I should get rid of. But even when I try, the task of doing it is a pain (even trying to donate it, which requires throwing it in bags). If an item is still in decent shape, but I don't have a tendency to wear it, it's still hard for me to just stuff it in a trash bag. I tend to be sentimental or just that immigrant mentality of not throwing stuff away (parents are like that, which I also have that habit).

But maybe, higher end items are easier to sell, but really, who buys used stuff online? I know ebay is a better option but still. Have to take pic, pack, ship.

Also, how do you decide when it's time to get rid of something? I mean certain basic undershirts, dress shirts get worn out, or the dreaded neck colour discolouration (no matter how much you try). Especially the whites. Or out of style, or just out of 'comfort' with your daily habits, but yet, you may still think of a time wearing it? Just wondering how others approach to either a) expand inventory? better folding? b) have a strict type of quota such as every new shirt, have to get rid of an old one?

Basically inventory management + optimal utilization?
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1505 upvotes
Well, I don't get rid of old clothes just because they are old. Some of my oldest items are also some of my favorite and the quality/features are not available anymore. I also really like soft clothes, like worn-cotton, and that often comes from longtime use.

So I make a decision when I notice there are clothes that are a combination of
- lack of use
- don't like anymore
- low value in trying to sell

I typically give selling a try for premium/branded/good condition items. It can be a hassle so you have to ask yourself if it's worth it...but TBH if it is a really nice item, even if it's a hassle I'd rather feel happy that someone can get use out of it. I also have cousins I could offer to give them to, I mean, nice stuff.

Worn-out or icky items get tossed as soon as I purchase a replacement.

I also minimize accumulation because I almost never buy trendy things anymore or go crazy at seasonal sales. Focusing on high-quality, classic items means I can enjoy nice things repeatedly, for a long time, and saves soooooo much annoying shopping time. I hate shopping for clothes.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1401 upvotes
Lesser used items accumulate in the bottom of my drawers and back of closets. When I need more room to put newer/nicer stuff, guess what gets the boot :).
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
530 upvotes
When my clothes get old and are fraying at seams, becoming threadbare in places etc. they get a second life as "shop" clothes for doing stuff like painting so I don't mind getting paint/glue/caulking/drywall compound or whatever on them. Then eventually I cut them up and use them as rags (checking/changing oil/doing other work on the car). As they get too dirty for that they get tossed out.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
Think one of the best indicator is if you haven't worn it for 3 yrs or more, it is time. Join a local buy/sell/swap group on FB, I find that may be the quickest.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
194 upvotes
1. Goes into the back storage
2. Wait 6 - 12 months and see if it's going to get used
3. If not, give them away
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
399 upvotes
at1212b wrote: Also, how do you decide when it's time to get rid of something?

Some de-cluttering tips I've read: Hang your clothes in your closet hanging in one direction (hook facing in). Anytime you wear a shirt, when you hang it again, turn the hanger the other way (hook facing out). After a certain amount of time (1 year?) dispose of any clothes that is still hung with the hook facing in. That means you haven't worn it in over a year. It doesn't matter if it's in good condition or a good brand, you simply have no use of it.

It's hard to do this at first because a large amount of clothes are in good condition. But honestly I find that the odd time I have a situation where i can wear that one shirt I haven't worn in a long time, i end up changing out of it for whatever reason (bad fit, too tight, etc). There's a reason you aren't wearing it, so get rid of it.
Jul 25, 2015
912 posts
734 upvotes
I give it to my friend who takes old clothes that gives it to a textile recycler to raise money for a local school. They do it every few months.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
Start out by getting rid of the free stuff. And, starting now, do not accept free stiff that u did not ask for. For example, u buy a case of beer and it comes with a free t-shirt or cap that advertises that beer company -- get rid of it. Did u get clothes as a gift that u don't like? Donate that.

Do u have clothes that don't fit that u don't plan on altering? Get rid of that. Do u have clothes with stains/discolouration? Out. If these clothes r sentimental, take a photo before getting rid of them.

Do u have pilling clothes made with polyester or acrylic? Get rid of it and buy better fabrics next time as well as take care of ur clothes better.

Do u have a bunch of clothes designated as cotton rags? Go wipe down the walls of ur kitchen. Wipe ur hardwood floors. Wipe ur basement furnace area. Wipe ur basement door. Wipe ur car trunk, rims, etc.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
When I have outgrown them physically or maturely.

Sometimes I regret donating because I end up not being able to find an item I donated. Other times, I decided what I don't want only to find my discard/donation pile in my mother's closet.

Anyhow, I rarely buy so when I do buy Apparel, I really like what I bought or it was a really great deal.

I try not to try clothes on when I go shopping. Once I try it on, I might end up thinking about it a lot and end up buying it (unless if it's already gone).
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13064 posts
3755 upvotes
They are falling apart

I dislike the style, fit etc I have not worn it in years.

The no longer fit properly
Oct 26, 2016
628 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
the colour has faded too much, threads are falling apart, rips, holes,
Apr 10, 2011
875 posts
809 upvotes
I buy 75% of my stuff second-hand, so I don't feel that bad when I decide to get rid of something that I no longer like the style of, doesn't fit anymore, etc. A girlfriend of mine has a clothing swap at her house a few times a year, so if I can make it, I bring stuff there for other people to enjoy. Maybe you can have a clothing swap with your friends? Make a night out of it with food and drinks!

Also, kijiji/facebook has worked for me in the past with higher-end/expensive items, but it's time consuming and can be frustrating at times, dealing with low-ballers, etc....

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)