Home & Garden

How do you Degrease kitchen exhaust fan??

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2006 2:00 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 26, 2006
439 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario

How do you Degrease kitchen exhaust fan??

My kitchen exhaust fan has gotten dirty.. greasy'ish. With all the cooking and deep frying, the fan has become sticky/greasy. I have changed the filter when required but I'm having a hard time trying to get the grease off the surface areas. I've used Vim or vinegar solution but it's not getting all the stickiness off. Also, the same thing with the cupboard doors that are above the stove. It still feels sticky. Any other solutions?
"Don't think of yourself as an ugly person, just a beautiful monkey." :cheesygri
24 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6267 posts
58 upvotes
Etobicoke
Vinegar is a mild acid. It's useless as grease solvent. You'll need something basic to dissolve grease.

Try oven cleaners such as Easy-Off. Spray on, let it soak and wipe it off. The key is to "let it soak" properly as the fan is usually at an odd angle that the cleaner just drips off. So, take a paper towel or J-Cloth and soak it with Easy-Off. Then, put the wet paper towel on the fan blade and squeeze out all the air bubbles. Let it sit for 30 minutes while keeping it wet by spraying the paper towel with more Easy-Off. After 30 minutes, take another Easy-Off soaked towel and wipe the grease off. For thick grease, you may have to repeat this several times to get thru the layers.

If the grease has mixed with dust/dirt and hardened, you'll have to get even stronger degreaser. I don't recommend this because this stuff is dangerous (will burn skin) but you can use caustic soda (lye) from hardware stores to dissolve stubborn grease. Be sure to wear thick rubber gloves and goggles when you do this.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
3389 posts
68 upvotes
eelfliw wrote:
Oct 14th, 2006 5:48 pm
Vinegar is a mild acid. It's useless as grease solvent. You'll need something basic to dissolve grease.

Try oven cleaners such as Easy-Off. Spray on, let it soak and wipe it off. The key is to "let it soak" properly as the fan is usually at an odd angle that the cleaner just drips off. So, take a paper towel or J-Cloth and soak it with Easy-Off. Then, put the wet paper towel on the fan blade and squeeze out all the air bubbles. Let it sit for 30 minutes while keeping it wet by spraying the paper towel with more Easy-Off. After 30 minutes, take another Easy-Off soaked towel and wipe the grease off. For thick grease, you may have to repeat this several times to get thru the layers.

If the grease has mixed with dust/dirt and hardened, you'll have to get even stronger degreaser. I don't recommend this because this stuff is dangerous (will burn skin) but you can use caustic soda (lye) from hardware stores to dissolve stubborn grease. Be sure to wear thick rubber gloves and goggles when you do this.
mental image from fight club..... :|
Nov 20, 2002
848 posts
6 upvotes
Edmonton
something less toxic and perhaps simpler than oven cleaner is a plain ole soapy solution! ;)
Aug 22, 2003
15531 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Or TSP if it's really thick and hardened...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6528 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
Any good degreaser will remove it. Way back in my Cineplex days we used straight degreaser (can't remember who made it, but it was purple) on the popcorn machines and is did a beautiful job.

If I could give you any tips, make sure you wear gloves or less you're gonna dry out your hands and also give the degreaser time to work (soak in). You can't just spray on, wipe off and expect the job to be done. You gotta give a little time to sit.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2004
1379 posts
8 upvotes
Try TSP
Heatware (Nothing too special)
Stunde Null

To see the world in a grain of sand,
And heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
-William Blake, Auguries of Innocence
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6201 posts
73 upvotes
shutterbug wrote:
Oct 15th, 2006 1:20 pm
Anyone tried using one of those steam "cleaner" machines for grease?
Aren't steam cleaners a useless product? Don't they simply spray all the germs and crap all over the place with their steam jet?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6528 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
mart242 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2006 2:23 pm
Aren't steam cleaners a useless product? Don't they simply spray all the germs and crap all over the place with their steam jet?
Spray the crap everywhere? Sort of. But germs? No, high temperature steam kills germs.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6201 posts
73 upvotes
cwb27 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2006 2:42 pm
Spray the crap everywhere? Sort of. But germs? No, high temperature steam kills germs.
But i"m not sure that 100C is enough to kill all germs and bacterias. If it was, would would people need to use a pressure cooker to seal jars or low acidity food? (higher pressure = steam / water can go to a higher temperature and kill the germs and bacterias that don't die at 100C)
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
1165 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
I degreased my kitchen filter just last week by doing this: add 2 or 3 drops of dish soap in your sink, coupled with hot water(with stopper of course). Then leave over night to soak. Next day rinse off filter.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11053 posts
669 upvotes
Toronto
I used some elbow grease and undiluted Lestoil which did the trick for me.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
mart242 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2006 3:46 pm
But i"m not sure that 100C is enough to kill all germs and bacterias. If it was, would would people need to use a pressure cooker to seal jars or low acidity food? (higher pressure = steam / water can go to a higher temperature and kill the germs and bacterias that don't die at 100C)
Pressure cooker to seal jars??

I don't think people buy pressure cooker because of germ killing but because of that is a way of cooking in shorter period of time.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
Blackjack wrote:
Oct 15th, 2006 8:50 pm
I degreased my kitchen filter just last week by doing this: add 2 or 3 drops of dish soap in your sink, coupled with hot water(with stopper of course). Then leave over night to soak. Next day rinse off filter.
He was talking about fans. If it is a filter and if it is dirty enough, just replace it.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
× < >