Real Estate

How do you find a "good" real estate agent? (new buyer)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2017 4:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
1832 posts
222 upvotes

How do you find a "good" real estate agent? (new buyer)

As a new (condo) buyer looking in Toronto & area, the number of options when it comes to RE agents seems daunting at best. Other than personal referrals (from friends, etc.), what are some good ways to locate a decent, relatively knowledgeable real estate agent - especially for a first time buyer who may need a bit more hand holding? Is it as simple as using Google and reading reviews, or are there other forums or places to search for a solid agent?

Would certainly appreciate some advice.
25 replies
Mar 14, 2006
307 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
Unfortunately through word of mouths...
Nov 2, 2014
822 posts
188 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
There are multiple realtors on this board.

A few are legit and super knowledgeable and a few I would never want to work with.

Read some prior posts and make your own decision.
Oct 19, 2016
370 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto
I can refer you a good agent if you want..
Mar 19, 2003
465 posts
72 upvotes
Ask you questions here and save the commissions. Choose the agent with the biggest kickback. 2.5% is a lot of money just for signing a few forms. When buying, the agent is pretty much not needed unless you have no car and require them to drive you around. Everything else can be found on realtor.ca, realmarketwatch, or here.
Mar 27, 2015
695 posts
164 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Here's a couple that I would go with:

Paul Zammit sells a ton in Thornhill/Markham.
Stephen Greenberg sells a ton in my neighbourhood (Bathurst Wilson) and has been doing so for 20+ years.

These guys specialize in a specific area and this is their main job. Zammit runs his own firm and Greenberg works for ReMax.

I'd avoid someone who sells only part-time on the side and who only sells one house a year.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4450 posts
2086 upvotes
Edmonton
dablackgoku1234 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 3:01 pm
Ask you questions here and save the commissions. Choose the agent with the biggest kickback. 2.5% is a lot of money just for signing a few forms. When buying, the agent is pretty much not needed unless you have no car and require them to drive you around. Everything else can be found on realtor.ca, realmarketwatch, or here.
And you'll get in to see the properties how? Talking to each realtor individually? In that case, they'll just take the double dipping commission anyway, so you may as well have someone on your side that can throw you a bone and actually do some work for you.

Our agent worked his tail off for us when we bought our house last year. He set up more than a couple days of 10+ house showings, all lined up and ready to go. It would have been much more difficult on our own.

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
1832 posts
222 upvotes
icantfigureoutausername wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 3:13 pm

I'd avoid someone who sells only part-time on the side and who only sells one house a year.
Yeah that's the thing, the few recommendations I got so far were people who do RE on the side, not as their full time gig. I am just not feeling that, tbh...someone who lives and breathes real estate for a living would be a good start at least.
Aug 16, 2011
36 posts
10 upvotes
OTTAWA
The ones who are established probably won't have time for us small potatoes buying a 400k condo... they'll probably assign us to their "team".
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
1832 posts
222 upvotes
Jeremyl007 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 3:23 pm
The ones who are established probably won't have time for us small potatoes buying a 400k condo... they'll probably assign us to their "team".
Haha as long as the team is legit, that's cool... Don't need a celebrity agent or anything
May 28, 2017
204 posts
60 upvotes
You tell them how much money you have to spend then they go to realtor.ca and put in those number say 400-425k. Then they print out the listing or show you on the internet, then you say which ones YOU like, then they take you around a bunch and put in some bad ones or over priced ones to make you more likely to quickly buy one unit that looks like a reasonable deal. Is there a bad condo? Sure, the one you don't want to buy. A good condo is the one that you do want to buy.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2004
1140 posts
201 upvotes
It is a pain but as suggested above, you can use the forum as a starting point. You'll probably be getting some PMs and you're welcome to reach out to the contributing realtors as well. You can check their posting history to get an idea, reviews definitely help as well as word of mouth.

Work with someone you feel comfortable with, not where you feel obligated to do anything. A good realtor won't ask you to sign up either until you're ready to make an offer (but conversely, it would be nice if you reciprocate the sincerity by not working with 3~4 different realtors simultaneously and pitting them against each other just for the sake of cash-back).

All the best :)
Heatware: 9-0-0
Realtor @ Royal LePage United Realty – Read my reviews
Jan 15, 2017
522 posts
313 upvotes
I would suggest that you set up a meeting with a couple and interview them. But before doing that, you need to determine what services are important to you. As a first time home buyer, are you looking for someone who will spend a lot of time with you? Take you around to a lot of showings? Help you determine your needs? Answer a ton of questions? Refer you to other professionals who will help? How long do you think it will take for you to find your perfect place? How flexible are you with your wants and needs and your time? What is your time frame? (Do you have a week to find a place or can you take as long as you need - your Realtor needs to know this?)
Nov 8, 2006
534 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
Ask them for past sales, and reference, you want a good negotiator who is on your side to get a price that will make all parties happy.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)