Real Estate

How do you find a "good" real estate agent? (new buyer)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2017 4:26 pm
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9103 posts
3203 upvotes
Ottawa
icantfigureoutausername wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 3:13 pm
Here's a couple that I would go with:

Paul Zammit sells a ton in Thornhill/Markham.
Stephen Greenberg sells a ton in my neighbourhood (Bathurst Wilson) and has been doing so for 20+ years.

These guys specialize in a specific area and this is their main job. Zammit runs his own firm and Greenberg works for ReMax.
One more reason to avoid them. It's in their interest to push you to a double-ended deal they have listed. Show you a few overpriced unattractive local properties then suddenly their listings seem pretty damn good.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Mar 3, 2016
310 posts
143 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 3:14 pm
And you'll get in to see the properties how? Talking to each realtor individually? In that case, they'll just take the double dipping commission anyway, so you may as well have someone on your side that can throw you a bone and actually do some work for you.

Our agent worked his tail off for us when we bought our house last year. He set up more than a couple days of 10+ house showings, all lined up and ready to go. It would have been much more difficult on our own.

C
I didn't mind calling them individually and, if they double dip, that realtor will actually work for the buyer even more for them to get that property since they are guaranteed more commission. I'm sure a realtor will come and say they have a fiduciary duty towards their client but this is all BS as they only care about the $$. I never sign any BRA with any of them but would sign the customer service agreement for that specific property I was planning to make an offer. There was also less pressure to accept an offer/counteroffer as I can walk away from that realtor anytime.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16896 posts
1821 upvotes
GTA West
You find a good agent through referrals from family, friends, coworkers.

Don't go with some guy's nephew who has only sold 2 houses this year, including his mom's house. You want a high producer.

Another way I have found is to go by yourself to open houses and just talk to agents. You can tell which ones are donut eaters and which ones get it done.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Aug 15, 2013
574 posts
275 upvotes
Guelph
winner2000 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 2:11 pm
As a new (condo) buyer looking in Toronto & area, the number of options when it comes to RE agents seems daunting at best. Other than personal referrals (from friends, etc.), what are some good ways to locate a decent, relatively knowledgeable real estate agent - especially for a first time buyer who may need a bit more hand holding? Is it as simple as using Google and reading reviews, or are there other forums or places to search for a solid agent?

Would certainly appreciate some advice.
Do the leg work urself and go with the one who offers you the biggest rebate.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2007
4713 posts
2737 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
There are different things you want when looking for a buying agent vs a selling agent

For a buying agent you want
1) patient such that they will take you to enough properties that they work with you until you find the one you want. You don't want someone that basically gives up after 2 weeks of showings.
2) timely notification...when new houses hit the market, you want to be informed and offered the opportunity to view early as possible.
3) negotiating skills...you want the agent to be able to work a good price and terms for you..not just let's sign a deal any deal
4) potential for any cash back...but 1-3 rank over that as it can save you more than any cash back
Apr 4, 2017
98 posts
20 upvotes
You don't really need agent. Need laywer and bank.

Search for house, ask the seller youike to do private deal and lower the price.

Flatfee4free.ca
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
1832 posts
222 upvotes
cartfan123 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 8:05 am
There are different things you want when looking for a buying agent vs a selling agent

For a buying agent you want
1) patient such that they will take you to enough properties that they work with you until you find the one you want. You don't want someone that basically gives up after 2 weeks of showings.
2) timely notification...when new houses hit the market, you want to be informed and offered the opportunity to view early as possible.
3) negotiating skills...you want the agent to be able to work a good price and terms for you..not just let's sign a deal any deal
4) potential for any cash back...but 1-3 rank over that as it can save you more than any cash back
Thanks, good points.
Dec 17, 2014
423 posts
60 upvotes
Is it common practice for agents to offer cash back? Because the one I was talking to told me he doesn't. How do you go about in asking?
Mar 3, 2016
310 posts
143 upvotes
chrl120 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 11:50 am
Is it common practice for agents to offer cash back? Because the one I was talking to told me he doesn't. How do you go about in asking?
If he said he doesn't and you want one that does, just go directly to one that does. He already told you he doesn't offer cash back.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2014
3956 posts
766 upvotes
Toronto
chrl120 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 11:50 am
Depends on what market you're in as well. Where are you buying?
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Mortgage Agent and Real Estate Sales Representative
Dec 17, 2014
423 posts
60 upvotes
Sam9876 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 1:21 pm
If he said he doesn't and you want one that does, just go directly to one that does. He already told you he doesn't offer cash back.
I already did that. No point in staying with someone who doesn't give cash back when there are some that do. I think that is common sense.