Automotive

How do you get in direct contact with Dealership Relations at Toyota Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2011 11:14 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2154 posts
451 upvotes

How do you get in direct contact with Dealership Relations at Toyota Canada?

I have been battling with Wietzes Toyota on an insurance repair that they did on my car. Short story is that they didn't contact me when the car was actually done and they waited until the insurance company paid them before releasing the car to me. Now, I am paying for the portion of the rental car. I have persuaded the insurance company to foot more of the bill, but they have never heard of any garage hold a car until they got paid by the insurance company: they have always released the car after the customer pays the deductible and then get the money from the insurance company afterward. This is also my experience from the few times I have used insurance for repairs at other garages. As such, they refuse to cover the whole rental car as what Wietzes did is not common practice.

I have tried to contact the dealership regarding this and have experienced the WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED:
  • They never call me back regarding the matter, even though they have promised to. Their only response was a curt email, stating that they are not responsible.
  • I asked them to give me their policy on insurance repairs and they refused to provide it, stating it is not their responsibility to do so.
  • I have tried to reach the general manager and they haven't called back either.
  • I have called Toyota Canada, filed a case number and they suggested that I go to the dealership and have a conference call with the insurance company. I suggested that to them and they flat out refused, stating that it is completely my responsibility to talk to them.
I was told by my friend who used to work in automotive that there is typically a department within HQ that makes sure that dealerships are making sure they are providing a satisfactory experience and upholding the Toyota brand. Does anybody know who this person is or has any contacts within Toyota Canada? I would appreciate any help in this matter (PM would be best).
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7115 posts
2017 upvotes
Financial District B…
PennyArcade wrote:
Jan 26th, 2011 12:39 pm
I have been battling with Wietzes Toyota on an insurance repair that they did on my car. Short story is that they didn't contact me when the car was actually done and they waited until the insurance company paid them before releasing the car to me. Now, I am paying for the portion of the rental car. I have persuaded the insurance company to foot more of the bill, but they have never heard of any garage hold a car until they got paid by the insurance company: they have always released the car after the customer pays the deductible and then get the money from the insurance company afterward. This is also my experience from the few times I have used insurance for repairs at other garages. As such, they refuse to cover the whole rental car as what Wietzes did is not common practice.
Yes, theres are lots of franchised and non-franchised auto garages that will hold the vehicle until they get fully paid for the work performed.
A lot of this has to do with tardiness of past payments if there we're previous dealing with same insurance company.
I'm betting Wietzes is holding the car because they had a poor past payment experience with your insurance company. I can pretty well guarantee that!
ie: Some insurance companies will take the 30day or 60day net literally and that only infuriates people/companies whom they deal with.

I agree with you that's its not common place for a vehicle to be held for payment but theres more to it between Wietzes and your insurance company that your insurance company is not telling you
PennyArcade wrote:
Jan 26th, 2011 12:39 pm
I was told by my friend who used to work in automotive that there is typically a department within HQ that makes sure that dealerships are making sure they are providing a satisfactory experience and upholding the Toyota brand. Does anybody know who this person is or has any contacts within Toyota Canada? I would appreciate any help in this matter (PM would be best).

There is no such person at TCI/TCCI. I used to work at TCCI headquarters on Micro Court
Your issues are between the Wietzes and you insurance company. And unfortunately thats what Toyota Canada will tell you too.
Your insurance company should foot your rental bill until you get your car back.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2154 posts
451 upvotes
While it may be true that Wietzes maybe had trouble in the past with payment from insurance companies, that doesn't excuse them of not stating to me that they will require full payment before releasing the car before accepting the insurance repair.

Also, regarding other franchised dealerships having the same policy, I contacted eight other Toyota dealerships around the GTA and seven of them said that they would release the car before getting full payment from the insurance company. The odd one out stated that I would need to fully pay for the repairs upfront and then get reimbursed from the insurance company.

I think it is safe to assume, from my sample set, that Wieztes does NOT operate in the normal manner with regards to handling insurance repairs and it should be their responsibility to tell me so before repairing my car.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
PennyArcade wrote:
Jan 26th, 2011 5:13 pm
While it may be true that Wietzes maybe had trouble in the past with payment from insurance companies, that doesn't excuse them of not stating to me that they will require full payment before releasing the car before accepting the insurance repair.

Also, regarding other franchised dealerships having the same policy, I contacted eight other Toyota dealerships around the GTA and seven of them said that they would release the car before getting full payment from the insurance company. The odd one out stated that I would need to fully pay for the repairs upfront and then get reimbursed from the insurance company.

I think it is safe to assume, from my sample set, that Wieztes does NOT operate in the normal manner with regards to handling insurance repairs and it should be their responsibility to tell me so before repairing my car.

ummm... what kind of garage would release a car without receiving full payment :facepalm:

What insurance company do you deal with?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2154 posts
451 upvotes
gilboman wrote:
Jan 26th, 2011 5:23 pm
ummm... what kind of garage would release a car without receiving full payment :facepalm:

What insurance company do you deal with?

A lot of garages release the car before receiving full payment. I contacted 8 Toyota garages and all but one stated that they will release the car to the owner before receiving full payment from the insurance company. That odd one out stated that they do not deal with insurance.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7115 posts
2017 upvotes
Financial District B…
PennyArcade wrote:
Jan 26th, 2011 5:38 pm
A lot of garages release the car before receiving full payment. I contacted 8 Toyota garages and all but one stated that they will release the car to the owner before receiving full payment from the insurance company. That odd one out stated that they do not deal with insurance.

A lot of garages do, and some don't. You just happen to be dealing with a garage that doesn't.

So your issues are now with your insurance company to have them expedite the payment asap so that you can have your car back and be driving it again.

Trying to complain to TCI or anyone else at Wietzes is a waste of time now. If Wietzes policy is to have all invoices paid prior to release then you should now be shouting at your insurance company to hurry up

The longer your insurance company drags their feet for payment the more it costs you out-of-pocket for that rental.
Now on a side note, your insurance company is probably paying for x-number of days for the rental. And now you are footing the rest(over and above those x-number of days) as you have said, Why are you not griping at them for the rental cost?
Seems they have their own policies too don't they like how some garages do
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
PennyArcade wrote:
Jan 26th, 2011 5:38 pm

your issue is with your insurance company...not the garage. I don't see how you can expect it to be normal for a place of business to give you something before full payment without any prior agreement. Have you asked why your insurance hasn't paid up?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24733 posts
5017 upvotes
Like servicing your car, it's a myth that a dealership would perform body work on a car better than anywhere else. In fact they will probably perform worse work than some of the good body shops out there. Your insurance company should have had a list of "preferred" or "recommended" body shops for you to deal with at the time you started your claim, did they not have such a list/suggestions for you? Surely Wietzes Toyota would not have been on there!

By going with a recommended shop, none of this would happen. Also by going with a recommended or preferred shop it entitles you to some other benefits like warranty on the repair provided by the insurance company, extended rental if necessary, etc.

Now the above warning aside, Wietzes may certainly be free to have such a policy to not release the car until paid, but I agree with the OP--they have to inform the customer before hand that this is the case, doing otherwise is just a shady business practice. Wietzes knows the outcome--insurance company is going to stop paying for the rental, Wietzes isn't going to get paid right away and won't release the car, and now the customer is going to be SOL. They know this is a likely or at least very possible outcome. So why/when would you treat a customer like that? I'll tell you why. You do that when you don't give a rat's behind about your customers and are only interested in $$$. This is further evidenced by their later refusal to even disclose such a policy (still hiding these things for more unsuspecting customers to fall prey to) and their general attitude that it's tough bananas for the OP and they aren't concerned with helping them at all.

So yes Wietzes Toyota goes on the never ending list of stealers to stay away from--best advice is to never buy, service, or have body work done on a car there, ever. Those horsef@!%ers should burn in hell. :mad:

Unfortunately I doubt Toyota Canada will do much for you other than giving you the standard nonsense about how they are "an independent business free to do blah blah blah", like pretty much every carmaker does. When it's time to promote their stealer network from buying cars to servicing to whatever, the advertising dollars are poured in and it's all about "Toyota" (or whatever carmaker it is). When it's time to address the shady practices of stealers with their name in big letters, suddenly it has nothing to do with them and these stealers are all "independents" :rolleyes: Particularly with body repairs (and not mechanical service or warranty issues), the manufacturers tend to leave customers high and dry and at the total mercy of the stealership. I mean it's worth a shot to contact them as something may get done, but don't be all that surprised if they essentially give you a shrug and tell you they can't do anything.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2154 posts
451 upvotes
Sorry if there has been a misunderstanding here: the insurance company issued a cheque immediately after they learned from the voicemail that Wietzes left.

the issue here is that Wietzes did not disclose to me that they would hold the car until the insurance company paid. Had they told me, I would have paid it immediately and got reimbursed for the amount by my insurance. They were also fully aware that I was using a rental car: they gave me the contact information to the place I used. The fact that:
  • They did not contact me, telling me that they were waiting for payment
  • Not willing to talk to me and discuss things
  • not listening to my issue and work on improving their customer relations. After all, there will be more and more customers that will encounter this problem.
are my biggest problems with Wietzes Toyota. In the end, they are ignoring me, hoping that I will go away. That's not the way you deal with issues with customers. Understand work out with the clients.

I truly do hope this thread costs Wietzes Toyota much more than a simple week's worth of rental car. Their problem is more fundamental than just the insurance claim: their customer service is seriously in need of improvement.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7115 posts
2017 upvotes
Financial District B…
Yeah, blame the dealer blame the dealer.
Its so ridiculous how some people on here can be that it's actually comedic

First off, i'm sure this is NOT the first time you have ever had any service done on your car.
Read the back of the service work order. It clearly states that all service/open work orders are to be paid in full before the vehicle gets released. Its plain and simple! This policy is for ALL garages EVERYWHERE!!!! and of every type.
If any garage releases the car in lew of 30days net payment to whomever then they do it only as a courtesy because they had or current have an ongoing account with the said parts supplier/insurance co payor.

Second, the direct customer for any insurance repair is the Insurance company. Because they are the payor for the repair
Thou the garage/dealer gave the initial quote to your insurance company, if a specific part that was included within the quote was originally a jobber that can no longer be located and an OEM part must now be used and the costs change, the garage will notify the insurance adjuster for authorization to proceed. Not you!
This is nothing unusual. These transactions occur this way all the time.
Majority of garages/paint shops/part suppliers involved in various auto repairs will always have more communications with your insurance adjuster than you if its an insurance claim
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2154 posts
451 upvotes
mikeymike1 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2011 4:52 pm

First off, i'm sure this is NOT the first time you have ever had any service done on your car.
Read the back of the service work order. It clearly states that all service/open work orders are to be paid in full before the vehicle gets released. Its plain and simple! This policy is for ALL garages EVERYWHERE!!!! and of every type.
If any garage releases the car in lew of 30days net payment to whomever then they do it only as a courtesy because they had or current have an ongoing account with the said parts supplier/insurance co payor.

Second, the direct customer for any insurance repair is the Insurance company. Because they are the payor for the repair
Thou the garage/dealer gave the initial quote to your insurance company, if a specific part that was included within the quote was originally a jobber that can no longer be located and an OEM part must now be used and the costs change, the garage will notify the insurance adjuster for authorization to proceed. Not you!
This is nothing unusual. These transactions occur this way all the time.
Majority of garages/paint shops/part suppliers involved in various auto repairs will always have more communications with your insurance adjuster than you if its an insurance claim
I understand where you are coming from. I really do. The reason that is sounds like I'm faulting the dealership is that they need to establish communications with the client (me) and the completely and utterly failed to do so. They failed to make sure my expectations are in line with theirs.

The reason that I "blame" the dealership is the fact that they are completely unwilling to listen and work it out. I think both parties have to share responsibility in this case. I have talked to the insurance company and they have LISTENED to me and agreed that some of the rental should be reimbursed by them. What has Wietes done? Absolutely nothing. I have called 10 times, left voicemails and multiple emails. They have completely failed to respond. They aren't even willing to have me come in and go on a conference call with the insurance company so we can work something out. Why? It isn't their problem? sorry, it is since I am a customer of theirs. The insurance company is willing to talk with them, but Wietzes is acting like a ignorant child that refuses to listen or discuss.

THIS is the reason I hope RFD'ers read this and realize the trouble I had with Wietzes and their lack of communication. Know that if there's a problem with Wietzes Toyota, be prepared to be ignored.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2154 posts
451 upvotes
oh, and don't think I'm not in discussions with the insurance company: I am. The only reason I'm not bashing them is that they are listening and responding.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24733 posts
5017 upvotes
mikeymike1 wrote:
Oh I will do that alright. I apportion blame where blame belongs.
mikeymike1 wrote:
No what's ridiculous is if someone were to take my car, pretend like one thing is happening, never disclose what they knew full well they should have and then have a "let the pieces fall where they may" attitude when it comes down to it and everything is suddenly a different story. And then I find out what kind of horse shens they are playing at? I can tell you one thing, if a stealer or someone else wants to play these games with me and my car? I'll tell you what I'll be doing--lighting f$(*&ing fire to their dealership at some undetermined date in the future and have them deal with insurance for all their troubles and burned up cars and see how they like it.

Maybe then they will learn a thing or two about treating people properly and not knowingly f-ing with people and their cars for giggles and profit.

Now how comedic is that??? Standard knee-slapper or fall-out-of-your-seat funny? :confused:

Again the dealer knows the outcome of this situation, they know what they are going to do to the customer (which is NOT conventional practice in this situation) and they know they are going to be screwed on the rental. Then when the questions come up they just stonewall the "customer" (better called "mark" in this case) becuase it's what they do. It's wrong but they choose to do it anyway. Why? Because it's "comedic" to them to see this happen to unsuspecting people. Why else? Because if they actually told the customer up front they would go to a reputable and decent body shop, instead of giving their car into the substandard scam op Weitzes happens to have running. I.e. for $$$.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7115 posts
2017 upvotes
Financial District B…
PennyArcade wrote:
Jan 27th, 2011 11:34 pm
I understand where you are coming from. I really do. The reason that is sounds like I'm faulting the dealership is that they need to establish communications with the client (me) and the completely and utterly failed to do so. They failed to make sure my expectations are in line with theirs.

The reason that I "blame" the dealership is the fact that they are completely unwilling to listen and work it out. I think both parties have to share responsibility in this case. I have talked to the insurance company and they have LISTENED to me and agreed that some of the rental should be reimbursed by them. What has Wietes done? Absolutely nothing. I have called 10 times, left voicemails and multiple emails. They have completely failed to respond. They aren't even willing to have me come in and go on a conference call with the insurance company so we can work something out. Why? It isn't their problem? sorry, it is since I am a customer of theirs. The insurance company is willing to talk with them, but Wietzes is acting like a ignorant child that refuses to listen or discuss.

THIS is the reason I hope RFD'ers read this and realize the trouble I had with Wietzes and their lack of communication. Know that if there's a problem with Wietzes Toyota, be prepared to be ignored.

And I also understand where you are coming from but the communication issues can only be solved between you and Wietzes.(and you insurance company) I've only expressed policy procedures as I know them. Right now on this forum its a 'he said he said'. Wietzes isn't here to defend themselves so we don't know what their side of the story is.
And I still believe there are and may be issues between your insurance company and Wietzes.

I will tell you one thing thou, the failure to communicate could be as the result of your insurance company/adjuster.
During the course of estimating the repair of your car the subject of OEM vs suitable aftermarket/comparable parts often comes up. And quite often your insurance adjuster may request the latter to cut costs. They have every right to do this. They may also advise the garage not to have you informed of the choices they have made or the fact they even had the choice between parts.
Adding you into it only further complicates issues and the costs that your insurance company only wishes to pay.
This is no pipe dream, this actually happens all the time. Believe it!!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7115 posts
2017 upvotes
Financial District B…
ES_Revenge wrote:
Jan 28th, 2011 11:53 am
Oh I will do that alright. I apportion blame where blame belongs.
No what's ridiculous is if someone were to take my car, pretend like one thing is happening, never disclose what they knew full well they should have and then have a "let the pieces fall where they may" attitude when it comes down to it and everything is suddenly a different story. And then I find out what kind of horse shens they are playing at? I can tell you one thing, if a stealer or someone else wants to play these games with me and my car? I'll tell you what I'll be doing--lighting f$(*&ing fire to their dealership at some undetermined date in the future and have them deal with insurance for all their troubles and burned up cars and see how they like it.
Maybe then they will learn a thing or two about treating people properly and not knowingly f-ing with people and their cars for giggles and profit.
Now how comedic is that??? Standard knee-slapper or fall-out-of-your-seat funny? :confused:
Again the dealer knows the outcome of this situation, they know what they are going to do to the customer (which is NOT conventional practice in this situation) and they know they are going to be screwed on the rental. Then when the questions come up they just stonewall the "customer" (better called "mark" in this case) becuase it's what they do. It's wrong but they choose to do it anyway. Why? Because it's "comedic" to them to see this happen to unsuspecting people. Why else? Because if they actually told the customer up front they would go to a reputable and decent body shop, instead of giving their car into the substandard scam op Weitzes happens to have running. I.e. for $$$.

Now thats hilarious !!!! Thats beyond falling off your seat funny. Who needs Comedy central when they can come on here and read your posts.
The fact that you can get all riled up from someone else's issues and be so contemptuous against the said dealer or dealers in general is beyond me. It makes me laugh :lol:
The fact that you can even utter threats of damage and retribution only serves to prove one thing, that you are nothing more than a immature punk kid behind a keyboard. I bet you we're one of those kids during the G8 summit weren't you?

I can only imagine the next posting now. Someone makes a claim that the dealerships gumball machine ripped them off 25cents and... oh no don't tell that es_revenge guy. He'll go into his contemptuous rampant rampage and burn the place down. :lol: :lol:

Seek help dude, namely anger management. I'm sure CAMH has room for you

Thanks for the laughs, you made my day :lol: